Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Weekly Prompt #1: What are some common misconceptions about bipolar disorder?

ASilentObserver March 24th, 2023

Happy Friday everyone, How are you doing?

I am starting the Prompt Series with the goal can share our thoughts and supporting each other by responding to the comments and thoughts in this thread. Through these prompts threads, we can stay connected and support each other and create and build a growth path for each other.

The weekly prompt of the week: What are some common misconceptions about bipolar disorder?

Share your thoughts with us.

Suggested threads to check:

globalBraid3744 March 24th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

I think one prevalent misconception is that mania is enjoyable and productive as there is increased energy and flight of ideas. Although some people appear to have a lot of energy during this phase, they might still experience a lot of stress and unpleasant experiences and feelings. Following this manic phase, many individuals become exhausted and even more stressed, feeling restless and out of control.

How do other people in this forum feel during the mania period?

ASilentObserver OP March 30th, 2023

@globalBraid3744 I hear you braid. I get it why that misconception exists, but it sounds like the experience of mania is more complex than just increased energy and productivity. The bursts of energy and racing thoughts could actually lead to a lot of inner turmoil, stress, and distress as things feel out of control. But acknowledging these emotions could be the first step to deal with its challenges

blitheSun94 March 26th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

Greetings, Obs! As someone living with this disorder, I will say I think people tend to forget that we experience periods of normalcy between our highs and lows. Likewise, I think people often expect mania or depression to look a certain way, when in reality there are countless manifestations of this disorder, and everyone's story has the potential to vary greatly. Thank you for another amazing post!

@blitheSun94 I get it living with bipolar disorder can present many challenges as well as periods of stability. Every person's experience with this condition is unique, and there is no one way that mania or depression must look. Thank you for sharing your insight and experience. It's important for people to understand the diversity of experiences with bipolar disorder and to avoid assumptions.

generouscat0001 March 30th, 2023

I also think that sometimes people just think that we're crazy when in fact a lot of us are really smart. I personally feel like the Mania is almost my alter ego because I'm more outgoing than I do things I wouldn't normally do. I'm a really introverted person when I'm baseline don't get me wrong. I overdo spending things like that but I signed myself up for like pottery classes booked My tattos and my piercings and that stuff I normally would have just. Kept putting off and never got done

@generouscat0001 I hear you how feeling like your mood states are almost like different sides of yourself. It can be difficult for others to understand the intensity of mood changes with bipolar disorder and how that can impact behavior.

generouscat0001 March 30th, 2023

I also think that sometimes people just think that we're crazy when in fact a lot of us are really smart. I personally feel like the Mania is almost my alter ego because I'm more outgoing than I do things I wouldn't normally do. I'm a really introverted person when I'm baseline don't get me wrong. I overdo spending things like that but I signed myself up for like pottery classes booked My tattos and my piercings and that stuff I normally would have just. Kept putting off and never got done

@generouscat0001 good points Cat. I understand feeling like mania can bring out another side of you and allow you to be more outgoing or take action in ways you normally wouldn't. At the same time, it sounds like the intensity of that experience can be difficult to manage or feel in control of. I imagine it might bring up mixed feelings - both positive and challenging.

Evatear March 30th, 2023

I have actually lost long-term friends whom I have disclosed to. They see me through the filter of many misconceptions, even dismissing a tear when my feelings have been hurt as “oh. That’s just your disorder.” So, yeah, misconception is that we bp people are not stable when we show emotion. Especially one the others do not understand.

@Evatear I'm sorry to hear that you've lost friends who dismissed your feelings. It can be hurtful when others don't understand or invalidated what you're going through. It seems like there are a lot of misconceptions about what it means to live with bipolar disorder, and emotions that seem unfamiliar to others are often hardest for them to understand. You deserve to have people in your life who see and accept you for who you are.

Evatear March 31st, 2023

What a thoughtful reply. And thank you for that, sincerely. My response was not meant to sound like whining. I just think bpd is still very misunderstood by those who are unfamiliar with it. I am gun shy to disclose, for sure, but so grateful to have found this group.

ASilentObserver OP March 31st, 2023

@Evatear I get it how it can feel vulnerable to open up about experiences of it. But I am glad you found this community and joined us. You have all of us here to listen to and support.

sillieststardrop June 1st, 2023

I think the most hurtful one in my life is that I’m completely unable to be reasoned with when manic / completely beyond help when depressed. Neither of those things is true and it’s really hurtful when my loved ones notice a shift in my state of being and treat me differently because of it. I also think it is hard when people don’t recognize that not all bipolar people need to be medicated to be in control of their symptoms. Sometimes I feel like most people think I can’t survive without being constantly medicated when that couldn’t be further from the truth

ASilentObserver OP June 1st, 2023

@sillieststardrop I hear the frustration. That must feel hurtful when people make assumptions about you based on their perceptions of bipolar disorder, rather than seeing you as an individual. What aspects of yourself do you wish the people close to you recognized and appreciated?

sillieststardrop June 1st, 2023

I wish they appreciated that I am compassionate and always willing to change and do better. Sometimes just doing everything in my power to be better isn’t enough if people don’t tell me what I need to work on. I really wish they saw that i am a human being trying my best. I wish they saw that I am caring and emotionally intelligent and perceptive. I try so hard to help the people I love and most of the time I don’t feel like they see that. There’s almost nothing I wouldn’t do for the people I care about. I’m loyal and I have so much love to give and I can be so forgiving too. I don’t feel like people see that because a lot of people don’t see me as a three dimensional person. I sometimes feel like people just think I am using my episodes to manipulate them but honestly all i ever want is the same effort back that I give others

ASilentObserver OP June 7th, 2023

@sillieststardrop I hear how frustrating it can feel when you pour your love and effort into relationships yet it does not seem to be recognized. It sounds like showing compassion comes naturally to you. What aspects of being caring and forgiving do you find most meaningful for you?

KidRatHeaven June 3rd, 2023

@sillieststardrop

This is so relatable and something that I have experienced as well. In addition, if I express a bipolar symptom and seek to communicate through my feelings, I am addessed like I am an illness instead of a human seeking understanding and compassion. I hope that you can find people who are gentle and supportive of your baseline and see YOU through the mania.

@KidRatHeaven I'm sorry to hear you've experienced a lack of compassion at times when you needed it most. Not being seen and heard in that vulnerable state can feel lonely and frustrating.

KidRatHeaven June 3rd, 2023

@ASilentObserver

In my experience, one misconception from friends and even some family members is that I will be able to get off my medications and "go back to normal." Normal means drinking and drugging, although I have practiced sobriety for nearly three years and have no intention of stopping. I opened up and told her that I have a disability that's going to last the rest of my life, which was hard to say out loud.

Another misconception I experienced this week is that because I am expressing bipolar irritability (or expressing feelings in general) that means that I am on the verge of psychosis/mania/depression and need to be hospitalized.

These two misconceptions paired on the same weekend (not by the same people) were harmul to my moods for the rest of the week, as I have already been struggling with a mixed episode and I was seeking out the comfort of friends and family.

@KidRatHeaven That must have been difficult to open up and hear the misconceptions from your loved ones. Expressing your feelings takes courage. What emotions came up for you in those moments?