Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How can someone support Bipolar disorder?

Ostara April 11th, 2015

My boyfriend has type 2 bipolar disorder, and does not take medication for it. I just want to know how I can help, no matter how small. Thank you!

33SuperKitten33 April 11th, 2015

Lithium: This simple metal in pill form is highly effective at controlling mood swings (particularly highs)

Lee July 5th, 2015

I agree that Lithium is considered highly effective based on scientific evidence, however just remember different strokes for different folks.

All my love,

Lee.

wittyEyes6286 September 6th, 2015

Lithium, made me like a zombie, prozac helped me more

AnUnlovelyPoet January 6th, 2016

Please always try low doses of Lithium first, and if it's good move up to the necessary dose--if there is one. Doctors started me on Lithium when I was around 10, and overdosed me on it because they put me on a very high dosage (that I needed) all at once. I no longer take Lithium as part of my med regimine. It works for a lot of people, and that it is like, the most common/effective med for folks with Bipolar.

Just to clarify, though, I would never ever tell anyone not to take a med that could be really helpful. That's not at all what I'm saying. I feel that perhaps not sharing my own experience, even though it was bad, would be disrespectful to someone considering taking it. My intent isn't to like . . .scare people about it . . .or something.

DeeHelps May 19th, 2015

I'm just assuming that since there was a diagnosis of Bipolar II, it was done by a psychiatrist? Was it his advice not to be medicated or your boyfriends? Though some people can maintain their disease without prescription meds, a lot cannot since sometimes the diagnosis of Bipolar will be accompanied with other mood disorders that would be helped with meds as well (depression, anxiety, panic attacks, etc). Of course, this is all his choice if he thinks he can ride the storm out, but seeing a doctor regularly is crucial in his well-being, as is a therapist. As for what YOU can do for him. The first thing is to read and study up on literally any and everything you can get your hands or eyes on to learn about the disease. We, as sufferers of the disease, can be known to put a lot of undue pressures on our significant others. Sometimes we may blame you for our moods and moments. If you learn how to cope with possible bouts ofepisodes and/or depression, you will be way ahead of the curve. Bipolar is a disease that can be lived with and relationships can be healthy and happy if you're both knowledgeable with the signs and symptoms. I'd say you're already on the right track because you're already willing and ready to reach out for help. I wish you two all the luck and happiness. Love him for him, not his disease.

Lee July 5th, 2015

Just be there as a support for him, as much as you can. Ultimately, the decision of how he goes about his care is up to him.

All my love,

Lee.

Mikaelaaa September 6th, 2015

Hey!

It's really great you're seeking out how to help. Being in a relationship with someone who has bipolar is different. However, it's totally do-able and functional. Especially bipolar 2, coming from some personal experience and writing one of my degree thesis on mood disorders and relationships, it is definitely something I feel passionate in. I think first researching a lot into bipolar and recent developments in the field is important. It is also important in breaking through the social and societal stigma installed into each one of us as we grew up "bipolar" is not really what bipolar is in real life.

Next is to be understanding and patient. Understand in what they are going through and patience when they are going through a shift in their moods. Understanding the warning signs and just be there for your significant other.

In addition, just understand how he is dealing with his bipolar, if he's on medication or therapy etc. Being well informed, understanding, patient and COMMUNICATION is really the key to great interpersonal relationships including romantic relationships.

January 7th, 2016

For everyone who needs it - 8 ways to help your bipolar loved one cope(<---click).
It's a great article and can help you a lot to understand the bipolar one better. Lots of love!

Searchingforsunshine March 30th, 2016

@alexlove

Thank you!

Strengthtobend March 31st, 2016

@alexlove

thank you for reminding me that my patience and understanding are what I need to hold onto now.

Searchingforsunshine March 30th, 2016

I truly appreciate what everyone has shared here.

I have one concern and question. I tend to be judgemental with my boyfriend/partner who has bipolar. I forget the number diagnosis he has. I at times feel responsible for his changing moods.

My question is how can I love him where he is at without judgement?

I hope and pray you all have a great day. Thank you!

March 30th, 2016

@Searchingforsunshine that's the hardest part: not to judge and to forgive. He has that illness and his mood can't and doesn't depend on your behavior, just remember that. You can even visit some clinical psychologist to ask him how you can help the best you can and to educate yourself even more about his illness. You can contact me through PM if you need more help than this. Best wishes. :)

Strengthtobend March 31st, 2016

I'm really thankful this thread was here today. I've been with a man for almost a year now "dating" "unlabeled" because he fears commitment and cheats every time he labels a relationship. I've been struggling on if I should just give up being patient and start dating or keep waiting it out.... My struggle is this:

He's bipolar 2 and has been going through a major depressive cycle for about 2 months now. He has stayed with me for the last 2 months. Started treatment and is now moving into his own place. In these 2 months we haven't been intimate... And of course that bothers me but he has now been able to open up and tell me things about the negative way he views himself. Catch 22 is does the depression make him say he can't give me what I need .... when his desire to be able to commit and label this relationship is what prompted him trying to "fix" himself to begin with? He even gave himself a time limit and ultimatum. I know that I can't give up on him or us. But I think that's what he wants by the way he acts.... Like he's afraid of what's going to happen with starting meds and completely changing the way he has lived for all of his adult life... and he's trying to push me away out of fear. I just don't know if I'm seeing things right. And I don't know what to do.

KayaBearz April 1st, 2016

I hate lithium. Yes, Prozac is a lot better

offthebeat March 30th, 2017

My fiance has always had problems which have developed, or perhaps have always been there, it's just gotten worse, of rapid-cycling bipolar disorder. He has a family that doesn't believe in mental health, does nothing to support him, and when he reached out all he got was "get a hold of yourself." As someone who suffers from severe depressive disorder, PTSD, panic disorder, agoraphobia, and schizoid personality disorder, it makes things particularly difficult when also trying to deal with someone with this disorder. He has been resistant to treatment some days, and then others he is receptive. Some days he says fuck all, and some days he is himself again and apologizes for taking out his emotional issues on me, but I'm at a loss. I hate seeing him suffer. I hate seeing him and hearing him say he wants to kill himself. I love this person and I want to help but I don't know what to do when most doctor's won't let you make the appointment for someone else, and then there's the factor of getting him to go, which I think might be possible, if we got an appointment. Bottom line is: he needs medication, this much is clear, but I am unsure on the best methods to move forward to help him get what he needs that I can't give him because I am not a professional or a doctor, and I am a human being with needs as well, and after a long relationship and dealing with this, it's having a major affect on my own recovery.

MovingForward23 March 30th, 2017

Medication is definitely helpful, but I think it's also important to have a therapist or group to speak with. I feel that in most cases there is some prior trauma associated with having bipolar disorder and it really helps to figure that all out. I also know that there are things my boyfriend does that help- he helps me figure out my triggers so we know when I might be heading into a manic or depressed phase, he asks about specific things he could do to help rather than just asking "what can I do" which is important because in a depressed phase my head is so foggy I can't think. He also makes sure to tell me he loves me even when I make a mistake, and instead of dwelling on the mistake we think of ways to move forward.