Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The Autism Spectrum: An Introduction

IceCream4IceCream August 24th, 2021
Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASCs) (some say Autism Spectrum Disorders or ASDs) are a group of neurodvelopmental conditions which means you're born with them and they affect they way your brain and nervous system develop.

The American Psychiatric Association (APA, 2013) states that it is characterised by differences in social-communication behaviours and rigid or repetitive behaviours or interests (RRBIs). People receive a diagnosis when these traits impact their life to a signficant degree, making it hard to do what they need to, and causing distress in some.

With social-communication differences, people might not engage in non-verbal communication
e.g. avoid eye contact, no gestures with handsthey might not speak at allthis is called being "non-verbal"they might have difficulties forming relationships with others whether friendships or other kinds... etc.

As described by Very Well Mind, RRBIs encompass things you might say, think, ask, or do recurrently. For example, a person might have "stereotyped motor movements" where they organise objects in a certain fashion or reuse the same phrases in specific situations.

Additionally, with RRBIs, people might have an extremely strong interest in a narrow area such as cars or polar bears: these are considered "unusual" interests because of their intensity and randomness.

Finally, an individual might struggle with change, a term referred to as "insistence on sameness". Autistic People/People on the spectrum often find routines helpful, and have certain preferences they'd rather stick to as it makes them feel more comfortable.

They might have a tougher time thinking in a different way or transitioning between places. However, all of these behaviours are often helpful for a person to cope with day to day life, and it is just their way of being in the world.

Importantly, perception of something as "unusual" and "random" is subjective and arbitrary. These are differences demarcated by society, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily "wrong" or "abnormal". It is however understandable that many might find these aspects of their ASC/ their loved one's ASC difficult to cope with.

I want to emphasise that there are multiple perspectives of Autism Spectrum Conditions. Some find it disabling, while others might actually believe it is beneficial! Each to their own. This sub-community recognises all perspectives as the truth is, many do find it difficult to cope with their ASC!

We recognise some see disorder, and others see difference. Both views are okay. Let's be respectful of how each person feels about their ASC heart

I don't own either image. Image Credits Picture 1: Created by Nothing149 and posted on Wikimedia. Commons on August 29th, 2019. Image Credits Picture 2: Created by MesserWoland and modified by Melesse. Posted on Wikimedia Commons on August 29th, 2010.

Note: I have shared both symbols associated with ASCs below as some prefer one over other.
mobteru August 24th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752 thank you for the wonderful post!! i haven't got a diagnosis yet, but i suspect i have some kind of neurodiversity (i suspect ADHD) and i have many autistic friends who are so lovely and i care for them a lot!! it's great to normalize the behaviors and such that come from these disorders and for everyone to come together, neurodiverse or neurotypical, to love and understand each other <3

IceCream4IceCream OP August 31st, 2021

@mobteru

I'm really glad to hear you feel this way! heart Also, here's a post I just made on ADHD.

mobteru September 1st, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752 thank you so much!! i'll check it out!!

sunshinegiraffe123 August 24th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

Thabk you!!!!!

@sunshinegiraffe123

Thank you for all your advocacy and insights heart
sunshinegiraffe123 August 31st, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

Thank you for being here ❤️

lyricalAngel70 August 24th, 2021

Amazing! 💜
Thanks a lot for such an informative post. ADHD is a real struggle but it should not make a person feel less human just because they are suffering from it. I know a lot of my friends and clients who have ADHD but they do their best to be kind to others no matter how they get treated. It is because they know how it is like to be treated harshly. I admire this trait the most about them. I believe that we all need to learn from them how to spread love and kindness. ❤
Thank you for hearing me out.
Love,
Angel

@lyricalAngel70

It's so wonderful to hear peoples' open-minded perspectives heart Here's a post I just made about ADHD. Grateful for your thoughts laugh