Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Turning animals into humans in your head?

Spockette November 23rd, 2023

Okay first of all bear with me because I am really nervous about posting this/sharing this with "the world" because it sounds kind of ridiculous.. and I honestly didn't know where to post this but since I'm autistic...here goes nothing:

You know how furries have like a fursona right(a character that is an anthropomorphic animal). So ever since I was a small child being obsessed with sailor moon on the TV, I got introduced to cats that could suddenly transform into humans. So me and my colourful fantasies did this sort of "synesthesia like thing" of creating a "humansona" for every cat I saw, and later dogs and other animals. When I look at an animal I see a clear picture of a human with its own distinct looks and features, especially if I know the animal well it becomes a whole persona.

My 12 y/o tuxedo cat for example is a 16 year old alt girl with tan skin, a pear shaped figure and her hair is black shoulder length with a bleached white fringe. She has a very distinct face with defined facial features too such as a slightly crooked hook like nose. She has evolved over the years as she has gotten older pretty much how the image of any other child would when growing up.

I don't know why my brain brains this way but it happens almost automatically. Like I don't even have to think much about it I just see these human personas pop up in my head when I look at an animal.

Does anyone else have this? Is this a common phenomenon? I couldn't find anything on it but maybe someone is better at searching than I am. I am not trying to be special, and I know it is my strong and vivid imagination, I just was wondering if I was alone in this at all? Is this my autism going haywire? Would be cool if anyone felt the same. It's a big reason for me why I connect deeply to animals and can't eat them.

Sorry for the long post.

glisteningLight2506 November 23rd, 2023

@Spockette Your experience of associating human personas with animals is a unique and creative way of perceiving the world. It's not uncommon for individuals, including those who are autistic, to have vivid and imaginative thought processes. Your ability to create these "human personas" for animals may be a form of synesthetic thinking or a creative expression of your rich imagination.

While I don't have access to specific research on this particular phenomenon, it's important to recognize and appreciate the diversity of thought processes and perceptions among individuals, especially those on the autism spectrum. Autism often brings unique strengths and perspectives to the way individuals interact with the world around them.

If this imaginative process brings you joy or enhances your connection with animals, that's a wonderful aspect of your individual experience. Remember that diversity in thinking is a beautiful aspect of the human experience, and your way of perceiving the world is valid. If you find this aspect of your thinking particularly intriguing or if it brings challenges, discussing it with a mental health professional or seeking insights from autistic communities may provide additional perspectives and support.
Spockette OP November 23rd, 2023

@glisteningLight2506

Thanks for your insightful response. It doesn't necessarily bring challenges but today I learned that it's not a thing everybody does...which I kind of assumed it was? That's why I never really spoke about it. I thought everybody sort of looked at animals in that way because most people do treat animals, especially pets, particularly human like. 

Spockette OP November 23rd, 2023

I'm going to link a kind of *** photo of my cat and of an Ai generated portrait I quickly did of her here so you guys can see what I see.

https://ibb.co/1ns42h8

https://ibb.co/vqB3341

SleepyShyCat November 25th, 2023

@Spockette

I don't have any insight on this and it's not something I experience either, but I think your brain is really cool!!

Brains are complex and I wouldn't know how to even begin understanding how they work and make connections, especially not when connections start to get mixed and become even more complicated. 

The only slightly related thing I have is I associate specific people with colours or textures, I guess depending on their vibe? I don't know. 

Spockette OP November 26th, 2023

@SleepyShyCat lol thanks 🧢🐈...so far I've tried multiple sites and I haven't found a single person who has the same.

theboymoana November 26th, 2023

@Spockette

animals not person just animal is good because people lot are mean and bullies and animals nice favorite love them is better then person am glad they are not people maybe be mean to ! Animals my favorite like them stay animals 

Spockette OP November 26th, 2023

@theboymoana lol yeah I know, animals are better than people. It is just something my brain does- I see an animal and I see a human form standing next to it!

Twigo7 January 6th

@Spockette I can zort of relate. I do the zame thing but with zongz inztead of animalz, and itz like you zaid, dont even gotta try to think about it, juzt happenz. zo not exactly the zame, but zimilar