Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Just trying to get unstuck

AwildBidoof August 27th, 2016

Im feeling like I need some help, as all these good things that are happening to me as of late is stressing me out some. When it comes to work, I am estatic about getting the job, but it's finally setting in that I have it. it's leading me to doubt myself asI don't think they made a good choice in picking me. then the fear of messing up comes into mind, making me feel super nervous

When it comes to relationships, I am feeling more and more like i don't want to be in one out of fear of hurting my friendship with my buddy-gal if things go wrong. Doesn't help her father keeps saying things like (congrats you got a job, but it's kinda dead end, you should get a job more tailored to my field.) and her agreeing with her father on some of these points to better take care of myself. this is the first job I've gotten since 2013, mostly cause I kept trying for my field. it just...wasn;t ...working...

After calming down some, I talked with my lady friend about the comments herr dad said and cleared the air I had about that. she wasn't trying to discourage me, but my own self doubt kinda blew the situation up 10X. so now is mostly just stressed out about not failing come monday and the orientation

ladylazarus1971 August 27th, 2016

@AwildBidoof You will do great! You seem like such a conscientious and hard-working person-- I see you in the feed a lot, and am always interested in your posts. I am so glad you decided to turn your thoughts and musings into a thread post. I hope some 7 Cups members have some great thoughts in return for you.

AwildBidoof OP August 28th, 2016

@ladylazarus1971

here's hoping, I'm going through multiple waves of confidence followed by massive anxiety

ladylazarus1971 August 28th, 2016

@AwildBidoof Believe in YOU. Look how far you have come lately. You are gonna rock this!

SimpleOwl August 28th, 2016

@AwildBidoof

Congratulations on the new job! I can empathize with you there- being happy about getting the job and then worrying about if I will do the job well, etc. I think worrying is a good sign because it shows that you want to do well, and I think from an employers standpoint, that is great. I think its also ok to worry -its something new. We werent born in the role we will play at our jobs and employers know that too. They know that it will take a little time for us to get adjusted and that we might make some mistakes along the way. At the very least, mistakes teach us what not to do. Also, I definitely empathize with not being able to find something in your field- we have to do what we have to do at that point till we can get the position we want. You having done what you did, suggests that you took initiative and you are adapting to whats in front of you- I applaud you.

As far as the misunderstanding with your lady friend- I think you did a really great thing there, again taking initiative and talking about what was said and clearing the air.

If you ever need to talk to someone 1-1 about these, and other topics, you can feel free to message me :) I wish you the very best!

AwildBidoof OP August 30th, 2016

@SimpleOwl

I could really use some help right now,as my anxieity is just hitting top tier levels. The orientation was today, I feel okay with how things went, and I've been scheduled for 2 days of training so far. Teusday and Wednesday between 2pm-10pm. Im feeling extremelty Stressed out and I can't stop thinking that I should just quit now to save myself embarrassment. Every fiber of my being is finding it hard to keep positive as Im fearing life, so much so that I just keep thinking about this one thing

"Im going to spend my life working here and that's it"

the fear of missing out on life and the fear of being trapped in my own stress is making me feel like extremes must be taken to free myself from these burdens and I know deep down that's wrong but Im just feeling so off.

SimpleOwl August 30th, 2016

@AwildBidoof

Why don't ya message me or another listener sometime AwildBidoof? We would be more than willing to talk about some of this stuff with you :) http://www.7cups.com/13536364

AwildBidoof OP August 30th, 2016

@SimpleOwl had a bit of an anxiety attack a little while ago. Vented alot of raw emotional stress to my mom as I just couldn't fight it any longer. It made me realize that I'm scared that because I finally settled for a job not in my field my life is just going to be just me settling for what I can get instead of thriving for more. I feel like I've failed in some way.

ladylazarus1971 August 30th, 2016

@AwildBidoof What you have done is adapted yourself, and rolled with the punches life is giving you. You are not failing yourself, or anyone, or even the system. Many of us grew up assuming that if we did the "right" things, and followed the right "rules," everything would turn out the way we want it to. But life is more complex than that, and there are no certainties or guarantees.
What you are accomplishing is amazing-- you are working past this unreasonable set of expectations that you refuse to let paralyze you. Think of how fantastic and healthy that is!