Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Tips for time management?

bubbleOcean8135 February 24th, 2016

What are some good tidbids for improving time management?

Pandas4ever February 24th, 2016

@bubbleOcean8135 Do the easier tasks first.

swimmergirl07 April 12th, 2016

@bubbleOcean8135 for me it might sound stupid but my mom makes lists for me of things i need to get done for the weekend for example... Cleaning the bathroom or homework or a project or just things i need to get done but she lets me do them on my own time.. Make a list?

Bigblob May 3rd, 2016

@bubbleOcean8135

I put everything on my phone.

MiffedMess July 20th, 2016

@bubbleOcean8135 there's a great app called 30/30 where u put in a schedule that's timed it helps me a lot. Or just writing it all down with practical considerations like eating and wiggle room. It's important to set goals that are achievable to feel good and keep at it

BSWalters93 January 13th, 2017

@bubbleOcean8135

I like to set my clocks, watch, and phone ten minutes ahead. Helps me get to places on time. Work. School. Appointments. :)

DrMaelisaHall February 8th, 2017

@bubbleOcean8135

Other than the great tips here about how to write down everything, exercise! It's crucial for those of us with ADHD to get enough exercise and you can try to time your exercise to maximize your productivity.

For example, I have a much easier time focusing for about an hour after a good workout, so I will sometimes plan to do writing or follow up tasks right after my workout (which is usually a video I follow along with via my computer).

Alwaysasleep February 24th, 2016

Plan things with a time limit and then set an alarm. At least thats what I do. I decide to study for an hour and then have a break then I set my timer. At the beginning its annoying but after a while it works great. At least for me. Hope it helps.

OpenEyesOpenHeart August 9th, 2016

Personally, I have found writing every to do item down (in a place where I can remember where I wrote it..) And then try to put a reasonable time frame on it. So if I get distracted, I don't beat myself up on it and get back on track and try to get it done before that point.

My to do list for today looked like:

Wake up between 9-10

College 10-12 and 1-2:30

Work from 3-6

Try to get done pages 1-2 for neurology paper by the end of the day.

Before going to bed try to get a walk in and a few moments to reflect about all of my positives of the day

fromrussiawithlove August 10th, 2016

One of the biggest tips that I have found successful for myself personally when mangaging my time is learning to write effective, conscise lists. I read somewhere that one of the reasons items on lists never get done is because the jobs themselves encompass a variety of tasks in themselves. People get overwhelmed by all the vagueness and then procrastinate because they don't know where to start. And from there, said list is never successfully completed.

So, here's my suggestion. When writing things down that need to get done, be very specific about what exactly needs accomplishing. For instance, say you need to clean out your car. Break it down into steps and write those steps down such as follows. (1) collect all the trash and throw away 2) take certain items and put them away where they need to go 3) vaccuum out car and wipe down any surfaces, etc) This approach breaks down the process into a concise, achievable, endeavor where you can look back and accurately view what exactly it is you accomplished with said task. I have been implementing this strategy in my own to-do lists and my productivity levels have skyrocketed. Hope this helps!

PoolOfBrokenMemories November 26th, 2016

One of the best (if not the best) resource on time management I've ever found was a lecture by Randy Pausch.

You can find his lecture here: https://youtu.be/oTugjssqOT0

Who is Randy Pausch?

He was an American professor of computer science, human–computer interaction, and design at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Pausch learned that he had pancreatic cancer in September 2006, and in August 2007 he was given a terminal diagnosis: "3 to 6 months of good health left". He gave an upbeat lecture titled "The Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" on September 18, 2007, at Carnegie Mellon, which became a popular YouTube video and led to other media appearances. He then co-authored a book called The Last Lecture on the same theme, which became a New York Times best-seller.

Pausch died of complications from pancreatic cancer on July 25, 2008.

His lecture is inspiring and who could better explain how to manage your time than a person who only has a few more months to live. I has the outmost respect for Randy Pausch and his final lecture has made him immortal.

BeingOfService December 2nd, 2016

Create a routine. Make sure you do many of the same things at the same time every day (i.e. shower, grab your morning cup of coffee.) If you have a structure for your day that you operate within every day then you'll have less anxiety about your day to day activities, which leaves you with more mental energy to deal with everyday challenges of work, etc.