Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Thoughtful Thursday: Dealing with Stigma

sereneButton43 October 14th, 2021

Thoughtful Thursday

We’re restarting Thoughtful Thursday. These will include threads that talk about sensitive broad issues that are associated with Personality Disorders but not intrinsic to them in order to encourage discussion.

qQJSVcAM2sp2-0Tg3AHilVdDiBjrjZSvtv8QmX3uvN9NHJo2aavBldxsXozh2nx-M8iVPwrPJ62J8upGB3NBP0YG-BwRU0XnzuQEG4GfO_NPFswVNg5GE8ngQAWkXTn6MIFTltbt=s0

What is stigma?

Stigma is when people disapprove of individuals based on certain social characteristics that distinguish them from others in a community.

Why does stigma exist?

Not everyone is the same. People show individual differences because they have had differing experiences. Some of these are appreciated by others, some are not. The latter includes a subset of what people consider abnormal. For a lot of people, this is unfamiliar territory so their usual ways of reacting to events around them do not work. This can often turn into disapproval: people may avoid, insult, or do other things that end up isolating and further perpetuating the differences the individual has. This is when stigma is directed towards ourselves by others.

As members of society, we often internalize such values and engage in self-stigma where we put ourselves down for the way we are. This is an exhausting process because we are continuously blaming ourselves for things we may not have much control over.

Since stigma can be directed by both ourselves and others and it has considerable effects on how we see ourselves, it becomes important to be aware of it and have discussions that address it.

Questions

1. How have your experiences with stigma been? Do you see yourself internalizing it sometimes?

2. What helps you to cope or be less affected when you experience it?

Community Taglist

@Adeline12345 @AlfAndthemachine @Alwaysinpyjamas @ambitiousVase1322 @amicableDime9946 @arbanon @AutumnLauren6 @autumnthemoth @Avocado22 @azuladragon34 @berrymimi @bestcase @caringPerspective41 @ChristmasGift @cyanPlatypus6370 @dagaz13th @DamagedOne13 @dberryy @DoggoMom @ebonyyyblondie89 @emerijourney @Everythingisbetterinyourpyjamas @fireyseastar97 @FloweringBunny @Goldcherry2113 @GrahZeymahzin @GRAPSPRO2033 @Hadeel96 @heartycitrus @Hyacinth22 @ImaginativePenny152 @indigoCup1959 @intelligentWheel627 @Irishrose78 @itsmeow @Jish07541 @JoniGirl @K87 @kindTurtle3738 @LadyNikita @LavenderFlower @Lemino @LightsFromDark @LiliTwolsky @limeRaspberries2286 @lovelyWords13 @LoveTracker @MeeshyRB @MelG919 @missg @Mkmultra @munchiegoosie @nervoussmiles @Nubia87 @OneErased @optimisticMagic0014 @OrangePeel24 @Oxymoron6demon @passionateJackfruit5095 @Piggy @placidShade4261 @Pointlesswords @QueenBee03 @QuietMagic @racqueldawn @raininglillies13 @Red789 @RelaxedPanda @RemorseCode2 @Rex0911 @selfdisciplinedBunny232 @ShyCat1678201 @spectacularCandy9984 @Stardew3 @Starilus @StrangeKat @sunflower2480 @Tamy4210 @toucans @Triscups @uniqueRose1689 @versatilePomegranate60 @WalkingCrow @Xe @YourCaringConfidant

theriverissinging October 16th, 2021

@sereneButton43 very interesting post! Somehow this went wayy back to the last page of the PD forums haha so I'm also trying to bump it up. :3

Something that helps me cope / generally just helps is to be aware it - whether it may be internalized self-stigma, my stigmatizing notions about others or that around me.

Tagging @ouiCherie @Katharsis22 @VelVit78 - curious to know your thoughts if you'd like to share 😊

sereneButton43 OP October 16th, 2021

@theriverissinging awareness goes a long way in helping with most issues since it gives us the space to change, accept, and so on. Thanks for bumping it up! :)

Adeline12345 October 18th, 2021

Hi @SereneButton

It reminds me of the movie Joker where people dubbed him negativity because of his condition ( pseudobulbar affect ). It made me empathize with what he's going thru. I guess falling prey to stigmatizing and being sigmatized has taught me not to judge others if you don't understand their experiences. As often most of our internalization is caused by external comments & opinions which we later adopt into our internal minds, then playing it like a recorder on repeat.

What helps is having a space to talk about it. Not everyone has the same experience, but everyone has the capability / potential to understand and relate to situations. Let's not forget the fact even though each of us are unique & different, we are all human beings~ 🌻

sereneButton43 OP October 18th, 2021

@Adeline12345 that's an interesting perspective- we are different so we do not always understand others' experiences but we have the ability to do so and relate to others while appreciating differences which makes it easier to empathize rather than stigmatize. It's nice being able to do that, I hope someday more of us will find the space to do it! 😊

sav772 October 20th, 2021

@sereneButton43

QuietMagic October 22nd, 2021

@sav772

Hey, I noticed that your post doesn't have anything except for a tag. Wondering if there was something else you wrote or wanted to share.

f1nd3rzk33p3rz January 27th, 2022

@sereneButton43 informative post thank you! <3

How have your experiences with stigma been? Do you see yourself internalising it sometimes?: i've definitely had to deal with a lot of "so you're abusive?" "but you don't __" kind of questions, and then my therapists (yes, plural) being reluctant to support me because of my age and the disorder itself. i think the reactions of those around me to my bpd have definitely caused me to internalise things like "if i don't have a legitimate reason to be upset then anything i feel is just made up and not valid".

What helps you to cope or be less affected when you experience it?: surrounding myself with those few supportive people, or people going through similar things to me, definitely has helped me cope and be less internally-stigmatising to myself.

sereneButton43 OP January 28th, 2022

@f1nd3rzk33p3rz Yeah it's difficult having those experiences and not internalising stuff like that so it's understandable that you did. I am glad to hear that surrounding yourself with supportive people has been helpful. Hope you have a great day! :)

f1nd3rzk33p3rz January 28th, 2022

@sereneButton43 you too serene <3

AnimeLover666 February 18th, 2022

@sereneButton43

I Believe I have DID, though no one believes me... it's hard because it's already a scary thing to go though, and the lack of support isn't helping...

QuietMagic February 19th, 2022

@AnimeLover666

Hi, I'm really sorry you're having to deal with people not believing in that. Like you said, it's hard enough dealing with the experiences on their own, let alone not being able to find support, let alone having people doubting your experiences.

This subforum might be of interest, in case if you haven't found/seen it already. I believe the Trauma Support community might also have some weekly group support chats for DID/OSDD.
https://www.7cups.com/forum/TraumaSupport_60/DissociationDIDUpdated_2335/

Just passing along this post in case if it's helpful, though it's more about dissociation in general as opposed to DID specifically.
https://www.7cups.com/forum/PersonalityDisordersSupport_81/ThoughtfulThursday_2294/ThoughtfulThursdayDissociation_266334/

sereneButton43 OP February 20th, 2022
@AnimeLover666 not being acknowledged for your experiences can be difficult. I hope you're able to find support in 7 Cups as well as other places :)
GoldenRuleJG February 22nd, 2022

@sereneButton43

1. How have your experiences with stigma been? Do you see yourself internalizing it sometimes?

In the past the ignorant side of me who did experience a phase of depression could not believe that anyone who is famous and is successful can go through depression even though I experienced not getting accepted into university when I was so and so age to being the reason for being depressed. I used to think depression needs reasons to be true but it does not - it can be chemical imbalance

2. What helps you to cope or be less affected when you experience it?

Talking and relating

sereneButton43 OP February 23rd, 2022

@GoldenRuleJG a lot fall into that trap unfortunately and thinking that there has to be a reason for depression can be confusing when it's not easy to find. Relating with others is a great way to feel less stigmatised. Hope you have a good day :)

GoldenRuleJG February 24th, 2022

@sereneButton43 Thank you Serene - I’m learning to accept situations as they are . Sometimes it’s a challenge but I’m grateful to those who have supported me here and in my personal life. One we get more experience with life we learn to accept better. I’ve had few good moments and here is to more good moments for everyone 😊💛

Zarram77 May 25th, 2022

Thank you for these knowledgeable posts. These help me understand things and concepts.