Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

So, you want to be a forum leader?

tommy August 19th

Want to be a forum leader? Welcome to your handbook!

Our forum leaders work tirelessly hard to create an engaging, inclusive and supportive forum space for everyone. The term forum leader is an overarching title which sums up all leaders who support with the upkeep of our forums. We'd be delighted to have you on our team and we're confident you'd be a good fit.

Step 1: find the perfect community
There are over 40 different communities available for you to choose from. You should be familiar with the community you have chosen before you consider applying for a leadership role within it (note: forum supporters can be onboarded provided that they meet the core criteria and have posted recently in their chosen community or have ideas to help develop/improve the community).

Click here for a list of our current communities.

Not sure which community to pick? Click here to check out the communities which currently have no leadership coverage. 

Part 2: find the perfect role
Community Leadership Team Project Agent (CLT PA)
The Community Leadership Team oversee and support the community specific forum leaders in their roles. Our forum PAs have a specific responsibility which helps keep the forum ticking. This is perfect for leaders who have been on the forum for a substantial amount of time. Click here for more information on joining our communities leadership team.

Community Mentor Leader (CML)
• Our community mentor leaders lead their respective community and help the community leadership team with planning and delivering events.
• Quota/responsibilities: at least 1 discussion/event each month, forum moderation, team meetings/building, supporting new leaders, dashboard upkeep, needs reply posts.

Community Mentor (CM)
• Our community mentors help CMLs lead the community by creating engaging content and help with moderating their chosen community.
• Quota/responsibilities: at least 1 discussion/event each month, 10+ threads OR posts each month within their community, forum moderation, supporting new leaders, needs reply posts.

Forum Supporter (FS)
• Our forum supporters help their chosen community with engagement and help ensure their chosen community is a safe and inclusive environment for all.
• Quota/responsibilities: at least 10+ threads OR posts each month within their community, needs reply posts.

Needs Reply team (NRT)
• Our needs reply team help ensure everyone gets responded to. Members of this team help to ensure the needs reply queue is regularly cleared.
• Quota/responsibilities: at least 10+ needs reply posts each month.

Once you have found your ideal role, you will need to ensure you meet the core requirements. You can find the role requirements for each role (with a more detailed breakdown of their responsibilities)
here.

Step 3: ready to apply?
You've made it to the final step! Before you submit your application, have a browse over our frequently asked questions:

What happens if I lose my badge because I couldn't meet the 10 post quota?
Your badge will automatically be removed if you (FS/CM/NRT) do not meet the 10 post quota. You will be able to contact the forum ambassador/admin and ask for it to be reinstated, or can request it back again here.

What if I need to go on a self-care break?
Self-care breaks are encouraged to ensure we put ourselves and our own wellbeing first. You can have a self-care break up to 3 months at a time before we request that you leave and rejoin the team at a more convenient time. If you are returning from an extended self-care break of 3 months or more, you can contact the forum ambassador/admin who may onboard you after completing the refresher training.

The 10 post quota sounds like a lot...
The 10 post quota will be achieved as long as you post 10 times within your chosen community. This could be new threads or replies to existing threads (e.g. answering needs reply posts). The CML and CLT PA roles does not have this quota as they have other responsibilities. 

Do I have to log into the site every day as a forum leader?
No, there is no expectation for you to log in every day. As long as you visit at least once a week and achieve your quota, you're a great fit. It's important to put your own wellbeing first.

I want to support more than one community!
Forum leaders are able to support up to three different communities before becoming a global community mentor. Once you have settled into your first forum leadership role, you can discuss supporting other communities with the forum ambassador/admin. You will not need to apply again to support other communities if you are already a community specific forum leader.

Please feel free to drop me (tommy) a message if you have any other questions or queries 💬

daydreammemories August 19th

@tommy

thanksies for the info :)

MistyMagic August 19th

@tommy Great post! I hope that lots of new people apply to join the Teams!

hambagucat August 19th

Great opportunity!

Heather225 August 19th

finally-yas.gif