Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Please Remind Me to Be Assertive!

I just got a job offer for my second job.  Yay!  I was really hoping to get $30 an hour.  I did tell them I was willing to take 25-30.  They offered me $26.

Everything I've read tells me its ok to ask for more.  I'm just nervous to ask.  What approach would you take to ask for more?

toughTiger6481 August 21st

@selfdisciplinedPenny281

this did meet into the range of what you  had said you would accept 

In general i always agree in asking for what we want...... if this is something you are just starting and it fell into the range you agreed to ........  i might take job and then ask to revisit compensation boost after showing them your work or inquire about when and how raises are accessed letting them know this is on lower end of what you were seeking.   

selfdisciplinedPenny281 OP August 21st

@toughTiger6481  Keep your fingers crossed for me.  I asked for $28.  In looking at the email agian they said it was a draft contract for my review to see if there were any "questions, comments or feedback." 

I just know how annoyed I was when I came across the emails for my current job #1 only to find out that they were willing to pay me an aditional 2K than what was offered to me.  I basically left money on the table.

If they rescind the offer over two dollars, they are probably doing me a favor.

abPenguin4227 August 21st

What work are they offering you $26 an hour to do?

selfdisciplinedPenny281 OP August 22nd

@abPenguin4227  Nonprofit managment, social media managment, project management and customer relations.  So a fair amount of responsibility.  I also have financial managment skills that could potentially lower the amount they depend on outside financial services.

abPenguin4227 August 22nd

You have financial managment skills. This skill is important in life. All the best.

If you want to share something on financial management, I would like to learn. I don't understand anything in this.

@abPenguin4227  The time is now.  Everywhere I look there are free resources for learning and leveling up your skills.  Intuit Academy is free and they use it as a pipeline to meeting with a recruiter and getting hired.  I was actually hired by intuit for tax prep assistance.  Its actually fairly easy since you mostly google the answers, so no actual knowledge required. just good judgement.  They  pay around $19-21, but your an employee with benefits!  I had to decline the position because the recruiter lied to me and said I could work 10 hours a week, but it was basically a full time position

I also use Linked In Leanring for free from my library, its online lessons on almost anything.  And don't forget the never ending rabbit hole that is YouTube.

JUST WANT TO LET YOU ALL KNOW:

I GOT IT!

I GOT IT!

Never so happy to see the well timed 7cups lesson on being assertive!  I got my extra $2 an hour.  No more worries about leaving money on the table and being validated by my new employers that I'm worth it. 

adventurousBranch3786 August 22nd

@selfdisciplinedPenny281.  Congratulations 🎈🎉🎊!!!

howzel August 22nd

congratulations, selfdisciplinedpenny. you deserve it. all the best at your new job 🩷🎊

DancingSongbird579 August 22nd

@selfdisciplinedPenny281

That's fabulous, congratulations! :)

amiablePeace77 August 23rd

@selfdisciplinedPenny281

That's wonderful. Congratulations!

abPenguin4227 August 23rd

SelfdisciplinedPenny281,

👍Congratultaions💐.

All the best to, Do your best in work.

Also take care of your health and never neglect or ignore to do your work.

Health is very important in our life. 😊

akunknown August 22nd

@selfdisciplinedPenny281

Reminder: BE ASSERTIVE! 

This is something we all need to remind ourselves and remember at certain times. Even always for some of us who aren’t assertive and always need encouragement from others to be assertive. Nothing wrong with that either way imo. 

vanita66 August 22nd

Omg 26 for an hour it's more than enough 🥹🤞

Dpme August 22nd

Hello @selfdisciplinedPenny281 firstly congratulations for your new job and goos start! I think that because you're at the very beggining to stay with that money and as time passes and you become even better at your job you can then ask for a raise. Hope I helped you somehow but in the end is your decision. Have a nice day!