Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is anyone else going back to college?

DitaBear April 7th

I'm 32 years old and am starting college again after so many years.  Am really nervous, especially about needing to relearn math and having to take the ACT for one of my majors.  I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat.

amusingWest5360 April 13th

@DitaBear You got this! never too old to go back to school so I wouldn't be too nervous about it, I'm 34 and am planning on going back to school also Good Luck :]

DitaBear OP April 13th

@amusingWest5360 Oh sweet! What are you planning on majoring in?  Good luck to you too!

amusingWest5360 April 13th

@DitaBear  I'm working towards going to Vet school, so in the meantime I'm studying what I can on my own

DitaBear OP April 14th

@amusingWest5360 Nice!!!  Vet school seems like a lot of fun.  Do you have any experience working with animals in the past through other means?

amusingWest5360 April 14th

@DitaBear  I did volunteer work several years ago doing office work at a human society and then when I was 13, 14 I did volunteer work at a grooming salon

DitaBear OP April 19th

@amusingWest5360 Those sound so fun!  I think that's awesome that you love working with animals!

pandanfe April 13th

@DitaBear

You're never late to learn anything new. I know starting to study again may have lots to catch up on as we also don't remember most of the stuff learnt earlier in school but you got this buddy. Huge respect to you for taking such a wonderful steps 💛 

DitaBear OP April 14th

@pandanfe Thank you so much!!!

easyVase5121 April 29th

@DitaBear 

I am also trying to study at this age

DitaBear OP April 29th

@easyVase5121 What do you plan on majoring in?

Muse4apoem May 2nd

I’m going for medical assistant sometime after August. I don’t know the exact date yet I’m on a list right now. This is the 2nd time I went back to school for phlebotomy tech was the first time. I’m 37 it’s okay I know 2 people my age also going to be registered nurses.

DitaBear OP May 6th

@Muse4apoem @Muse4apoem Oh that's great that there are other people in your age range doing the same thing.  I am really self-conscious about doing the respiratory tech course at my age because I keep thinking that you have to get into the medical field really young, but hearing that there are people in their 30s going back to school for medical-related courses makes me feel a lot better.

Phlebotomy tech sounds like a great job too.  There's always a demand for good phlebotomists 😊

Muse4apoem May 2nd

I went to an adult learning center and practiced my math. I had to pass it to get into my technical school I took as an adult. My math was horrible. But after I practiced it improved and I was able to pass the math part of the test. I hate math so you aren’t alone.

DitaBear OP May 6th

@Muse4apoem I'm so happy for you that you passed! An adult learning center sounds like a good idea.  I'm so glad it helped you 😊 My school offers free tutoring, so I may take advantage of that.  I feel blessed to have a really nice, understanding advisor as well; apparently I am not the only student with bad dyscalculia who needs to take math refresher courses 🤣

Muse4apoem May 6th

Yeah my sister is a teacher and had a difficult time with her math in college. She would have got straight A’s if it wasn’t for her math. For phlebotomy tech you won’t need math to get in. I needed that just because I was an adult and I wanted to take another coarse it was landscaping. I don’t know why they tested adults like that to get in I hated it but they help. Definitely check out adult learning and/ or a type or math coarse. I was so nervous but so surprised I pass I went up “3 grades.”

Muse4apoem May 6th

I went to collage for phlebotomy. But maybe tech school they would make you do math schools make you do different things. One collage wanted me to do a bunch of extra things for my med assistant. This college I’m gonna go for does not. 2 ladies I know went for register nursing much older then me also. Age is totally irrelevant as far as collage anymore.

Psychosis1999 May 7th

I'm 25 and got into college again so I guess it's never too late.

DitaBear OP May 10th

@Psychosis1999 Oh good! What are you planning on majoring in?

Psychosis1999 May 10th

Computer science, I was into computer science long ago but due my schizophrenia I couldn't finished college. Now I'm feeling better and planning on making a carrer out of this.

BismaKanwal May 8th

@DitaBear
so proud of you <3 keep it up!

DitaBear OP May 10th

@BismaKanwal Thank you so much🥰

YourShouder03 June 6th

@DitaBear As someone who is planning on getting a doctorate (which will most likely be when im close to 30 due to lots of experience needed beforehand), please dont feel like you're too late!! learning is a gift and the most wisest never want to stop learning 

DitaBear OP June 8th

@YourShouder03 Thank you so much.  I wish you good luck on getting your doctorate! What subject will it be in?