Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My sister made me feel bad for wanting to feel pretty and now my confidence is non-existent

depressedpeep2156 April 7th, 2023

Thought I was gonna have a good day. Boy was I wrong. I did my hair, put some mascara on, and some reddish lip-gloss. FINALLY felt good about myself and pretty. For reference, I'm a tomboy (might me a masc lesbian, currently questioning my sexuality). My sister thought she OF ALL PEOPLE had the right to criticize my makeup and make me feel like absolute crap for wanting to feel pretty. I also have long brown-blond hair that has two front streaks dyed red because I like it like that.

Now I feel bad about wearing makeup or feeling pretty. Can someone help me make myself feel better? Cuz otherwise I'm gonna fall asleep crying tonight.

depressedpeep2156 OP April 7th, 2023

@depressedpeep2156 Edit: *might be

just saw that mistake where it says "might me"

lightMaple5672 April 7th, 2023

Sounds like she is just mean or jealous!Im sure you looked amazing. Also, you should do you abd ask your sister what she gets from tearing others down

DuelerDom12 April 7th, 2023

@depressedpeep2156

I mean she doesn't understand how you have your own life and that you make your own decisions including how to dress or how your hair is. Try to ignore her and live your life girl. If she says somethig to you, tell her that its not her buisness or body so it shoudn't matter to her.

ImpudentIncognito April 7th, 2023

Pay no mind to her and keep putting on makeup if it makes you feel happy. I was a major tomboy all the way up to my late teens to early 20s and got mocked or had friends poke fun if I wore makeup or dresses. It's just unusual for them to see me like that. Could be your sister doesn't know how to react to you (not excusing her behaviour though, it is still uncalled for). Anytime your sister tries to make fun, for example "Wow, you look like a clown with makeup!" just say "Oh really? I think I look great, but you're entitled to your wrong opinion" with a smile on your face. Don't let ANYONE bring you down. Keep your head up and do what YOU want to do. Her opinions about YOU don't matter, only YOUR opinions about YOURSELF matter. Also, dryer red streaks sound pretty rad if you ask me! :) Keep being you!

depressedpeep2156 OP April 8th, 2023

@ImpudentIncognito

she told me I did my makeup for my friend's boyfriend cuz they showed up with him in tow and that just made me mad. Like my body is my body and I'm gonna do my makeup if I want to.

Purple2427 April 7th, 2023

@depressedpeep2156. If you like the way you did your makeup and it made you happy then good for you. I guess your sister is not used to seeing you in makeup. If she wears makeup herself she could have helped you and gave you tips. Maybe the colors weren't right or you were wearing too much. She should have been kinder. If she is a younger sister like really young then don't pay attention to her she is just a child.

@Purple2427

no, she's seen me in make-up before. I have done my makeup before and she has seen it. She's just all-around snarky and rude when she wants to be. She was particularly snarky yesterday because one of my friends showed up randomly with her boyfriend and my sister said that I did my makeup to impress the dude. Umm, I don't even like dating men.

Purple2427 April 8th, 2023

@depressedpeep2156. Sounds like she was teasing you. She probably has issues of her own that causes her to be mean. Sorry your feelings were hurt.

Undeserving27 April 7th, 2023

You don’t need to feel bad about expressing yourself. Everyone is beautiful without a salon blow out or a full face of mask. Everyone is made different in all shapes and sizes and everyone is gorgeous in their own ways.

you don’t need to have the validation of anybody how you choose to express yourself is up to you. Go out on falsies or dye your hair flaming red , whatever makes you happy. Life is too short. Besides she must have been feeling jealous of some sort that you probably look better then here. Chin up princess.

@Undeserving27

I really appreciated reading that. I just really didn't appreciate that she thought her opinion was warranted or important. It isn't entirely affecting me right now but it did hurt initially. Thank you for cheering me up:)<3

dat1npc April 8th, 2023

@depressedpeep2156 don't mind what she says I'm sure you look gorgeous.