Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dealing with trauma

easyOak7689 March 12th, 2021

Hey everyone, ever since an event last year I've been dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety and just feel very vulnerable all the time. I had some EMDR which helped a lot but I couldn't go any further with the therapist that helped me and ever since I left there a few months ago things have been getting worse again. I feel miserable & most of all feel this terrible pain in my chest all the time, literlly as if someone stabbed me in the heart with a knife (I am physically fine). Has anyone dealt with stress/traumatic events on their own? I am looking to find a new therapist but I tried another therapist recently and I didn't feel safe with him so I'm going to look for a new one. Has anyone here managed to deal with trauma/stress on their own, if so what has helped you? I try physical exercise (jogging) but are there other things people have found helped them on here to deal with that? I feel so terrible at the time and just want to deal with this and hopefully get on with my life.

easyOak7689 OP March 12th, 2021

@easyOak7689

I should mention, I don't know if it's an actual trauma since I wasn't physically threatened but it was something that just impacted me so much and that still affects me terribly to this day

WelcomeToChat March 12th, 2021

@easyOak7689

Hi !

I am sorry for all you are going through.

For starters, I suggest you read the 7 Cups guide on Traumatic experiences HERE

Also the ACT - Acceptance & Commitment Therapy 7 Cups guide HERE.

Both are great self-help resources for dealing with Trauma.

ACT, in particular, has been extensively tried and discussed in the past in this Community and it is widely accepted as a great healing practice.

Anyway, keep asking for suggestions to this Community. There are very knowledgeable people here that can help you a lot.

I wish you all the best !

Marcelo.

easyOak7689 OP March 19th, 2021

@WelcomeToChat

Thank you for your words

WelcomeToChat March 19th, 2021

@easyOak7689

You are welcome !

Mashedpotato364 March 18th, 2021

Hi I have c ptsd and I use meditation mostly to help w it. There are so many free ones on youtube! There is also a guide on how to get started w it on netflix if you have it. You are so strong for reaching out for help. It's hard to find a good therapist. Don't give up.

easyOak7689 OP March 19th, 2021

@Mashedpotato364

Thanks you for your reply

I have tried meditation in the past, but didn't land with me very much back then, might give it another shot

Trying to stick to exercising to mitigate mosy of how I feel all the time (horrible). Weirdly I feel like I've managed to deal with what happened & given the event a place but still feel beyond stress so I'm hoping EMDR will defitively put an end to this.

Mashedpotato364 March 19th, 2021

Of course. It took me trying it off an on for a couple years before I really got into it so don't give up. Try different ones like grounding, letting go, or healing. It usually takes me a while to settle on one and sit through it. Exercise is great! I used to run all the time to keep my mental health in check. I'm glad it is helping some what. Sorry you are feeling so stressed, unfortunately I know the feeling 😔 I haven't tried emdr yet but I've heard good things!