Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

When your blamed for what happened...

ArianaMay March 11th, 2019

The topic of this thread probably speaks to one of the reasons Im in a very bad place right now. Im getting many mixed messages. I have a trauma therapist trying to reinforce in my brain what happened to me (which I dont want to discuss)?wasnt my fault. Its very hard for me to be honest with others. Lately I feel so exhausted as if Im carrying bricks. I can barely get up. I cant do the things I want even though the desire is there. The sadness and loneliness is horrible. My eating disorder is just bringing me down fast.

Recently I was honest about that with a few people and how stupid that was. Im ashamed enough already but there reaction made me feel like crawling into a wall and hiding there for good. It was awful. I told my best friend about something that happened to me quite a few years back and instead of being supportive her reaction was telling me what she felt I should have done. God talk about reinforcing the feeling it was completely my fault. I feel horrible. I feel so stupid. I should know by now I cant be honest with people. I feel the pain Im in now is my fault because I should know better by now. Im not in a good place and its so hard alone.

FeelFree10 March 16th, 2019

@ArianaMay

That's really unfortunate that your best friend reacted in a way that made you feel so hopeless. I'm sorry you felt that way. I think it's very brave you decided to talk to them about it. Don't give up! Try to keep in mind that not everyone is capable of reacting in a healthy way to being told something so deep and traumatic to someone. It could shock them, and possibly trigger something in them as well. Maybe your friend was unsure of how to respond, and just said what first came to mind. I'm sure their intent was not to make you feel worse. Perhaps you could try letting them know that if you open up to them again, you aren't looking for advice on what your past self should have done! Let them know you are telling them this to help work through it, that sometimes you just need someone to listen to you.

I have told my best friend the basic outline of the trauma I'm working through. I've let her know that sometime soon I'd like to tell her the details, and some of my other feelings about it. Since it's not the first time she and i have talked about past trauma, hers as well, we know how to respond to each other in the best way. It has been amazingly helpful having a friend to speak to about this. But i do make sure she has an idea of my mood and feelings before we speak, so she can be careful not to overreact or say something that will trigger me further.

I really hope you can keep trying!