Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Using Color to Change Your Emotional State

LightDancer January 16th

I want to share an easy and interesting way to change your emotional state if you are feeling uncomfortable...anxious or upset or down. Color is one of our first experiences as an infant...basically an infant just experiences their visual world as blobs of color, which they spend the first year of their life making sense and meaning of. Because of this, we each have a unique, subconscious color map that we can use to communicate a new emotional state to our entire being. 

So, if you are feeling an uncomfortable feeling...anxious, down, upset, etc...ask yourself this question:

What color is this feeling?

(Bonus points if you can also locate that feeling in your body!)  

The second question is this:

What color do I need/want instead?

You don't have to know why you want yellow or blue or green instead! This is just the way your subconscious has created meaning from many different experiences. 

Now for the fun part. Take a few minutes to imagine that a beautiful light, just the color you want, is filling your body. Just move that light through your body, to every spot in your body and every cell. Imagine each atom and cell and organ and thought and feeling coming into agreement with that color. You can even imagine that the light fills your body and continues to expand until it is an impenetrable bubble around you. Try to spend 5 minutes moving this light through your body. 

How do you feel?  Did the exercise "work" for you?  Could you use this during your normal day?

WorkingitThrough2 January 17th

@LightDancer

This is a very interesting post. I saw a video on YouTube about our auras, and it said to do the same thing. I did try it, but I don't have the ability to visualize it as a disorder.

For those that can I think this would be a great exercise to try.

Thank you for posting this❤️😊

LightDancer OP January 19th

@WorkingitThrough2 Thank you for trying it :)   I think some people are definitely more visually-oriented than others.  If you are interested, you can even just "guess" a color and see how it feels when you move it through your body.

DarlingHoldOn January 19th

@LightDancer This is so interesting and unique I loved it and I'm definitely gonna try it

KatePersephone January 19th

@LightDancer i'll definitely try this!

LightDancer OP January 30th

@KateDoskocilova Let me know what you think?  What worked for you and is there anything you would do to make it better?

emotional232023 January 19th

I really like this exercise

thank you for bringing this up

I found it very helpful and I haven’t found many things helpful lately!

LightDancer OP January 19th

@emotional232023  It really makes my day that this helped you!  

bellaisazombie January 20th

@LightDancer This is super interesting and there are actually some studies backing this. Humans tend to associate certain colours and tones with positive/negative emotions and experiences. I could see this being useful to some people!

PeacePink January 29th

@LightDancer

This was a very beautiful post, that I enjoyed reading and helped give me some perspective and new thoughts about colors and their meaning. Thanks for sharing!

BelovedMe January 30th

@LightDancer This is a fascinating exercise! The use of color as a tool to manage and understand our emotions is indeed a unique and creative approach. It's interesting how our early experiences with color can shape our emotional responses. This exercise seems like a wonderful way to engage with our subconscious and bring about a desired emotional state. It's also a great reminder of the power of visualization and the mind-body connection. Spending time visualizing a color moving through your body, affecting each cell and thought, can be a powerful way to shift your emotional state. Thank you for sharing this technique. It could indeed be a helpful tool for many people to use during their day to manage their emotions. Remember, everyone's experience is unique, so it's important to find what works best for you. 💫