Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Reminders

Pumkineyes25 August 7th

Being in the town where the trauma happened has given me many flashbacks to the events and it does not seem to be getting better after two weeks of being here I am going to be in the town for the foreseeable future and don't know what I can do to make those flashbacks lessen.

sleepysalem August 8th

im so sorry that this is happening to you. I know it’s not easy. trauma affects everyone differently. im proud of you for talking about it. are there any hobbies or distractions you use normally to help with the flashbacks?

Salem

Tinywhisper11 August 8th

@Pumkineyes25 flashbacks are horrible, they are so scary and real. I'm sorry you have to be back in that town🙁 do you have any grounding exercises that help. Perhaps talking about it to a doctor will be the best thing to do. Good luck with everything sweetie ❤ gives you a giant tiny hug ❤ remember we are all here for you ❤

blitheSun94 August 10th

@Pumkineyes25

Hello, eyes,

Thank you for your share. Flashbacks are a valid and very challenging symptom to live with, one I’ve experienced myself. It’s very important to be gentle with yourself during this time, and do your best to remind your brain and body that you are safe.

Are you familiar with grounding techniques?

Additional Resources:

You’re not alone.

🧡

ImpudentIncognito August 10th

That bites that you're in that situation...I can relate to that.

I was stuck in the city that caused trauma for me, and was too paranoid and scared to go outside alone because of said trauma. I ended up moving away since I couldn't work due to the medical issues (caused by said trauma and that worsened over time)-- it helped a little bit but...

Now I'm in a different city currently with a former abuser(who's my relative) so a different set of problems...
I plan on moving out COMPLETELY soon to a new state/city. Somewhere fresh. I'm working hard towards that goal....

The only other thing I can suggest, if you CAN'T move out that specific city -- I recommend talking to your love ones often and/or maybe frequenting a different part of the town/city if you can? If you're stuck in the same area and same routine, it can be triggering.

For example, if you live on the south side, maybe go frequent the north side more and change your routine, make new memories, try new hobbies/interests and meet new people -- if you'd like.

Or if possible...maybe make a plan to leave the city/town eventually? For me, it helped me feel a bit more peaceful. Albeit, not completely -- due to the nature of my move, but slightly better. However everyone is different and reacts differently. Do what you feel would best help you.