Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What are subsystems and how can they co-exist in harmony - Barltik2065

audienta April 4th, 2023

Hello everyone,

the following post might be helpful for listeners who want to learn about subsystems in people with DID/OSDD-1 and members who have one of these disorders and want to read some tips on how their subsystems can co-exist in harmony. Please leave your thoughts on the topic and your appreciation for the author, @Barltik2065, in the comments.

What are subsystems and how can they co-exist in harmony - Barltik2065

I think we should start with what is a system?

A system is a collection of alters within one body. The entirety of a Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) system includes all of the alters within one body.

What is an alter?

An alter is a dissociated self state that may be associated with Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). And each alter can have their own perceptions of a self, unique individual, or entity.

What is subsystem?

Subsystems are systems within systems. There are two possible types.

• One is a system where separate internal groups, which may or may not be aware of each other within one larger system.
  • The second type is alters who have their own alters. In other words, it might be a collective of alters that share similar traits, such as all males of similar function and age. Which they may or may not be aware of each other, but share one internal body.

Systems which co-exist. While some systems might take years to achieve co-consciousness, others might naturally be. And some might never achieve co-consciousness. Consciousness isn’t always extended to all alters within a system or within systems of systems. But in some cases it may be possible to have high levels of co-conscious and/or maybe co-fronting (there seems to be some debates on this).

And now, how can subsystems co-exist in harmony?

• To start, co-consciousness (and/or co-fronting) needs to be or should I say someone will need to be aware that there are other alters. Thus, which could start the co-conscious awareness.
  • Then there will need to be a willingness to work and the need to exist. Those that wish to participate (want to) will require to put in some work and effort and remember co-consciousness does not necessarily extend to all alters, they may not wish to participate.
  • Journaling, journaling, and more journaling. Be vivid in writing down your goals and realistic expectations. Develop a space of safety within the inner world where you all can be. Alters need to understand what the plan is, goals, and each other's expectations. Details, details, and more details.
  • Trust will need to be developed for alters. There might be alters who are not safe in the outside world, which might take time. System trust is a big key and lack of communication will hinder that.

This post is part of the Awareness and Education on Dissociative Disorders project (clickable). You can find a masterpost with all the posts of the project linked here (clickable). If you want to join the team as a content creator or discussion host, please leave me a message. Also, please comment if you want to be tagged in future posts.

Thank you,

audienta

@WorkingitThrough2 @Sunisshiningandsoareyou
innateJoy9602 April 4th, 2023

@audienta

I’ve really been enjoying reading these. I feel like I am learning a lot and can understand people with DID more. Thank you for continuing to spread awareness! Also thank you @Barltik2065! 💜

audienta OP April 5th, 2023

@innateJoy9602

I'm happy to hear that you've been enjoying the posts! Thank you for being curious and open-minded!

WorkingitThrough2 April 4th, 2023

@audienta

This is great and very helpful information. I want to be added to the tag list.

Thanks to the content writer for this informative info. Looking forward to reading more❤️

@WorkingitThrough2

I'm happy to hear that you find the information helpful! You've already been added to the list ❤️

mytwistedsoul April 5th, 2023

@audienta Listeners should try to keep in mind that no two systems are the same. How they interact with one system might not be the best approach for another system.

@mytwistedsoul I absolutely agree! Do you feel like the post says otherwise?

mytwistedsoul April 5th, 2023

@audienta Not at all! Just a friendly reminder and my own experiences :)

@mytwistedsoul

Okay, yes, I get that. Stigmatization can happen so quickly, that's why I asked - I don't want to feed the negative trend and am always glad if I get feedback.