Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

20+ years identifying as an addict, never "recovered"

Theverbtotrust February 13th, 2020

Hi. I am an addict and an alcoholic. I have been to treatment several times and to countless therapies. I know the rooms of AA (and other A's) very well. I've worked the steps and found my HP. I don't want to use and for the most part, I don't. The alcoholic in me is cruel and violent. I am afraid of the person I become when I drink and I know that this particular drug (alcohol) will kill me. I'll take my own life or I'll harm people I love. I have shut the door on this particular substance. However, I am still snorting methamphetamines from time to time. Why? Because I am lonely and all alone. I'm the single mother of an 11 year old son who has ADHD and ODD. He is a challenging child and I am overwhelmed. I use for a few days out of every month and only when I "can afford it." I do not need treatment. I need a sober network. I'm ashamed at my behavior but also so deepy broken that I don't care. Thanks. I needed to say something to someone, anywhere. Be well!

Readyforhelp28 April 19th, 2020

@Theverbtotrust hi. I can understand what you are going through. You are doing great. Keep going. Recovery is a war against your own self. And you are a fighter. I know it. Feel free to contact me whenever you want.

lovelyWhisper66 February 14th, 2020

@Theverbtotrust *hugs if you are okay with it* Hi there, and welcome to 7Cups. We are delighted to have you here with us. I really appreciate you opening up to us; it takes tremendous courage to reach out to others. You display incredible self awareness, including the motivation behind the addiction. Sadly, addiction is a common coping method and really difficult to overcome without social support. How are you coping lately?

If you ever need to chat with someone, the listeners are always here. Feel free to also check out these links for further resources and support.

1. Resources for Addiction Sub-Forum
2. Family and Caregiver Support Sub-community
3. ADD/ADHD Support

Feel free to also update us on how you are doing whenever you'd like. You are stronger than you think, and we are here for you. Best wishes! :)

Theverbtotrust OP February 14th, 2020

@lovelyWhisper66 thank you so much, I appreciate the kind words!

LiveandLearn15 February 14th, 2020

@Theverbtotrust Hi and welcome. I am an addict and alcoholic also, but fortunately I am recovered, over 6 years now clean and sober. If you would like to talk, feel free to send me a message. This is a great support group. I wish you the best. Life is so much better without being under the control of a substance.