Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Having a hard time studying

unknowncutie October 16th, 2023

I am an 18 year old in my last year of college and I am currently studying for my exams. I realized that as I am studying I can't remember what I studied or while I m reading out loud I say words that aren't there and I am freaking out, I already feel like a huge failure in life already. Any tips on how to overcome the issues of not remembering what I studied.

Clarezg October 17th, 2023

@unknowncutie Hello! It's midterm season I totally understand the stress of studying. I don't know if you've used or use flashcards currently but that's something that has helped me. Knowt is a great free alternative to quizlet I use all the time. Setting up breaks during my studying also helps me remember better and give my mind time to refocus.

unknowncutie OP October 17th, 2023

Wow thanks for that tip. Also how did you get motivated to study cause I am lacking it and it's a huge issue

Clarezg October 17th, 2023

@unknowncutie Motivation is something I struggle with from time to time as well. For me when I don't feel motivated I like to do something that is like a break but also rewarding. An example will be like maybe going out to play some sports, after sports I often feel productive which motivates me to continue and get more work done. Splitting tasks into smaller portions also helps me become more motivated because the tasks seem smaller and easier to tackle. Lastly studying with my friends helps keep me motivated and accountable that has really helped me as well.

dadalo October 18th, 2023

I am not familiar with Knowt or Quizlet, but they must be similar to Anki cards - a spaced reporting system where you decide when and if you need to see a card again. Plenty of free apps even for phones

Tobias5 October 17th, 2023

Hey @unknowncutie, I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble studying. I recommend breaking study down into small achievable tasks, so that you can feel the rewarded after completing each step, it does wonders for motivation imo. 

unknowncutie OP October 17th, 2023

Thank you for your kind words

Yougotmyback October 19th, 2023

Hi there! Exams are really stressful and it's totally understandable that the situation must be overwhelming for you.

Here are a few tips! 💛

1. Break the chapters into small topics and make a to-do list and write them there. If you still find it hard, then choose subtopics.

My brother's version of this - write number of pages like this |||| and cross them off every time you read one to get that satisfaction.

2. Take breaks. Can't stress this enough but it's very important to get off your books if you can't focus at all and take a walk or take rest. Remember, don't spend that time on screen.

3. Use 'Study with me' videos. I find them quite helpful. It's like studying with a person. They have breaks in between. I personally prefer the channel 'Study vibes'.

4. Watch a complete chapter video and then use a book. This can help remember and understand more. (Manage time)

If you feel you already know something, then don't spend the time on it when you're most energetic. Finish them quickly and earliest possible so that you know you've done something. (Makes less anxious)

5. Stay hydrated and well fed. You need that energy to function well and to stay awake. Keep taking short walks.

6. Ask for help. If you feel someone else can explain something in less time then don't hesitate to ask for help.

7. Make one page summary sheets/ mind maps. They definitely help a lot with last minute revision. You can also find a few online.

Talking about motivation, don't wait for motivation to come. You become motivated the moment you decide you gotta change something about your day. You being here itself shows it.

You know there are days when I feel motivated. Then what I do is that I do every useless thing so that I myself get back to work after getting bored. :p

So, plan your breaks too.

Hope this helps!

unknowncutie OP October 19th, 2023

Gracias🤗

Yougotmyback October 19th, 2023

Wishing you luck! 🐾

Sorry about the typos.

Free feel to share your honest feelings in the same post and we'll all be here for you.

🤗

calmKermit7178 October 20th, 2023

@unknowncutie theres a website called study stream that may help as well as the parmudoro technique and active recall . 

unknowncutie OP October 20th, 2023

Thank u