Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Want opinions

Whyme3112 June 21st, 2023

I'd like an opinion on this because I'm getting overwhelmed as to if I can get into college or not

Is

getting into a good well known college for a degree you'd not prefer better?

or

getting into not so good college for a degree you'd prefer?

Jaeteuk June 21st, 2023

Personally, I will choose the college with the Degree I want to complete. Try and make a pros/cons list for both Colleges, write down everything, including facts and your own thoughts. Then, compare and see which has more pros. Also, I'd suggest to do some research on previous graduates from the Degree of your interests to see if there is a higher rate for job opportunities afterwards because of the name of the College.

Hope this will help you organize your thoughts and make the best choice for your education.

MagnificentCloud803 July 17th, 2023

@Whyme3112

Hey, at least to me, I would go for the degree I love. At the end of the day, when you get back from college and skim through what happened through your day, you would like the satisfaction of studying what you truly desire. Maybe this 'not-so-good' college could be the leap in your life you've been waiting for? To me, killing your own wish just because we have certain strict norms regarding what's good and what's bad is just heartbreaking. But, of course, at the end, it's your choice! Good luck!

July 19th, 2023

@Whyme3112 tricky! i value good environment most of all, but if it is not my fav. field then it is not meaningful. so i think i'd go with my desired degree wherever i could enroll in it!

friendlyCat9274 July 21st, 2023

I can feel that this is a difficult decision. A famous school may bring students some potential benefits, and a degree that they enjoy can make them motivated to study. I might think in terms of advantage, disadvantage, future development.

helpfulstrawberry312 July 22nd, 2023

This is a very sensitive area but I think that it also matters what you plan to do in each of those career paths. If the job market is decent for the degree you want to get then that's great but even if it's not I wouldn't want you to suffer through something that you aren't passionate about.

In these types or situations I usually make a pros and cons list so I hope that helps and that you are able to find out what works best for you <3

TheToastGod August 1st, 2023

@Whyme3112

Great question! I'd say it is tricky to determine what I would do in your position. Researching these things out and really understanding the pros and cons of each decision is a great start. Also, remember that college is the first step and if you are looking into graduate school; I would consider it as well. Hope this helps :)

Reesenotgeese August 1st, 2023

@Whyme3112 I would definitely say going to the college that does you're preferred degree. I had to make a somewhat similar decision recently, do i move away to like I've always wanted to to this really amazing university on the other side of England, or do I stay at home and go to a decent uni that I can commute to? I chose to stay at home, and I'm happy I've made that decision. You've got to remember that it's a couple of years of your life, and college isn't exactly easy. So doing something that you're passionate about is seriously gonna help you in the long run, it will make studying and meeting like minded people so much easier, and that's half the battle. And remember that even if it's not some amazing uni with a fantastic reputation, most jobs aren't gonna base their decision on which exact uni you went to, but rather on HOW you did at that uni. So it boils down to a question of: fantastic, reputable college with decent grades, or a decent college with fantastic grades because you'll enjoy the course material more. It's your choice of course, but I would say do the thing you're passionate about x

silverSpace375 August 20th, 2023

@Whyme3112

Hello. Welcome here. It is truly difficult to choose between college title and degree.

I may suggest you to think about pros and cons of choosing title or degree. From view of future career path or further study plan. You may also consider the courses settings, college environment and culture to decide whether the college is suitable for you.

Hope this could help you out.

Maryyyyy00 August 22nd, 2023

@Whyme3112 I understand how hard this decision must be. personally I would choose the college with the degree I love. Studying something you like could motivate you to study harder. At the end of the day, that's what you will do for the rest of your life so you might as well like it. You could try making a list of pros and cons to try and see which one is the best!

CitrineHearts September 26th, 2023

@Whyme3112
This is a really good question !
I would definitely go for the college that offers a degree I would like to receive. If I'm spending 4 years in an institution, I would want it to be worthwhile; not only that, but feeling satisfied with the environment and studying there :)
This 'not so good' college could potentially offer you many experiences and opportunities, some you hadn't considered or thought you needed til now. Perhaps you could also create a list of advantages and disadvantages of attending one or the other. I would also suggest doing research on both colleges and read how alumni/current students liked their time there, and if anything mentioned corresponds to your interests.
Ultimately, the choice is up to you, your core values, and interests. I hope my response was beneficial in helping you decide 😊