Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

New profile picture policy and review tool!

Jill7Cups October 14th, 2019

As we all know, 7 Cups is an emotional support platform. As such we want to ensure everyone using our site feels safe and that others also using the site are here for the same emotional support reasons. Profile pics are one of the first impressions for new users of 7 Cups, and our product team has been working on a new safety measure to help with this. They have investigated different options and have been testing and improving a new automated feature that will be released tomorrow to help us be more consistent with flagging potentially inappropriate profile pics.

We really appreciate the time they have taken to work on this project, and to really test out the best ways to ensure pictures make sense for 7 Cups. As part of this new project rollout we are also updating our guidelines on profile photos and any other photos shared on 7 Cups. This guideline goes into effect immediately.

Community Guideline on profile photos:

Profile pictures must be appropriate for an emotional support site. No nudity (including exposed stomachs or bathing suits), no graphic or sexual content (innuendo or otherwise), no violent reference (including weapons), no religious or political insinuation or reference, no celebrities and no images protected by copyright.

Due to how this new system will work, users will no longer be able to upload gif profile pictures. If you currently have a gif it will stay until you update your photo. Gifs will still work in forums (yay).

We will continue to review profiles and usernames to ensure safety, something we appreciate! Thank you in advance to everyone who agrees that 7 Cups is a place for kind and appropriate imagery!

feelitinyourbones October 15th, 2019

@ThankYouForLettingMeTryingToHelp

No refferences or alusions to 7 cups, but don't worry in fact they were reffering not to use their logo or registered users that is all. I made a joke, you need to relax more LπŸ˜‰, learn to unwind and relax...

@feelitinyourbones

laugh

@ThankYouForLettingMeTryingToHelp

πŸ€—πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜

@feelitinyourbones

πŸ€—πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ ?

@feelitinyourbones

πŸ€—πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ ?

(As I said in chat rooms in the past, I am perfectly capable of protecting myself but indeed many people need protection so measures are necessary even if they affect us too...)

AffyAvo October 21st, 2019

@Jill7Cups @7CupsCommunity is the information for the profile image under settings going to change to match this?

7CupsCommunity October 21st, 2019

@AffyAvo

That is the plan. Let me check on the timeline and get back to you.

7CupsCommunity October 23rd, 2019

@AffyAvo

This should be coming through in about a week or so.

AffyAvo September 10th, 2020

@7CupsCommunity This still hasn't been done. @GlenM

AffyAvo January 8th, 2021

@7CupsCommunity Has the plan been dropped? It would be nice if expectations for what's allowed and what's not were clear.

7CupsCommunity February 1st, 2021

@AffyAvo

I'm not sure I understand your original question/feedback. Could you please explain it again? From my understanding, the original message and the feedback message are nearly identical.

AffyAvo February 1st, 2021

@7CupsCommunity The settings do not match with the policy. There was never an update made there, they currently still state:

Please choose a head shot (picture of your face), nature scene, art/symbol/image (i.e, Hope), or animal. Please do not include pictures of famous people, sexually suggestive pics, or cartoon pics. You must be fully clothed in your picture. The goal of the picture is to express warmth, compassion, and kindness. Images must be in JPG or PNG format and less than 5MB. Thank you!

In Oct 2019 it was mentioned that should be updated within a week. It's more than a year later.

7CupsCommunity May 15th, 2021

@AffyAvo

Thank you Affy, am going to tag Raven so they explain it more clearly.

@MidnightRaven999

MidnightRaven999 May 15th, 2021

@AffyAvo hey there! the dev team has a lot on their plate, and (sadly) the message in the settings is outdated at this point, i am sure that once they are able to get around to it they will update it to make it reflect the policies we have on the site!

RarelyCharlie May 16th, 2021

@MidnightRaven999 It's unfortunate that so many of the changes we've been seeing lately have appeared to be pointless, or even harmful, cosmetic changes, while long-standing problems like the one mentioned in this thread have remained unaddressed.

I feel that better communication between the dev team and the community would help to correct this unfortunate impression. For example, perhaps changes could be announced and discussed in advance, and the reasoning behind them explained, instead of just being dropped on us unexpectedly.

Perhaps you, with your knowledge of how much the dev team have on their plate, could lead these discussions?

Charlie

July 17th, 2020

Jus seeing this for first time, I don't see belly has innaporite but whatever, no celebs?? What's next no selfies? Where do we draw the line.

MidnightRaven999 September 10th, 2020

@Fireskye13 we just dont really want people to be impersonating celebrities, especially listeners

September 10th, 2020

@MidnightRaven999

Wait what??? Impersonating celebrities??? Seriously that's the reason for the rule ok ig, I don't see that happening but jus my opinion

bubbleCircle3689 July 17th, 2020

Thank you

July 17th, 2020

@bubbleCircle3689

Np

September 10th, 2020

Actually question, why no gifs that seems a bit....idk much,to say the least.

September 10th, 2020

No offense but it seems instead of worrying so much about something so small we could concern ourselves with things that are problematic.

September 11th, 2020

@Jill7Cups

I Still don't see how a belly is innaporite but ok. That jus seems a bit much imo. Thx for listening.

vonpatch March 27th, 2021

Hi there! Can someone tell me how to change my profile picture? Though the Minions are cute, I have a picture of myself I would prefer.

RarelyCharlie March 27th, 2021

@vonpatch Go to My Settings (it's in the menu you get when you click on your own profile picture on the website).

Charlie