Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

April 4 -The 7 Cups Wiki is Live! All the information you need to know!

Laura April 3rd, 2018

Hi All -

I am thrilled to announce that the 7 Cups Wiki is LIVE! Please carefully review the information below to learn how it works!! Big thank you to @krinkthemellowunicorn & @ezrabc for their help building the wiki! They have created an incredible tool that I am so excited to share with you today!

Please review the original post annoucing this update here.

What is a wiki?

A wiki is a collaboration tool. You can think of it as a shared resouce to host our communities collective knowledge & shared wisdom! Our community has been using the forums and google docs to house this information for nearly 5 years. The wiki is here to help bring more organization, structure and access to all of our shared resources!

You can access the wiki here -

The wiki is organized using the following structure -

Category (parent topic)

Sub-Category (Topics within parent topic)

Articles (Specific articles related to the parent category & Subcategory)

Here is an image to explain the structure -

Each category and sub-category can house as many articles as needed.

Everyone on 7 Cups will be able to view the wiki! yay! But to start we will limit the privileges of editing/ adding new pages to the following individuals -

Badges who get access to below privileges -

Forum Mentors, Forum Mentor Leaders, Forum Supporters, Ambassadors, 7 Cups Mentor badge, Forum Member Leader, Forum Teen Star, Chatroom Teen Star, Chatroom Mentor, Quality Mentor, Teen Quality Star, group mod leader, Teen Mentor, Community Mentor , intern mentor, group mods, mega member, forum member leader, peer support, community mentor leader, Wiki team badge (sign up for the wiki team here)

Privileges -

creating/editing public pages

creating/editing public categories

creating/editing listener pages

creating/editing listener categories

-------> If you are a volunteer helping with the wiki migration, please watch this video. It explains all of the wiki features, how to use them and where they live in wiki. VIDEO HERE

-----> If you are a volunteer helping with the wiki content migration, please let us know what content you will be migrating. And find others who want to help migrate the same content here!

For everyone..... GIVE YOUR FEEDBACK ...... As you explore the wiki, please share your feedback here! We will be carefully reviewing your feedback and making changes as needed.

lovelyWhisper66 April 3rd, 2018

@Laura Hurray, can't wait to see how it looks!! Thanks so much for the update and helpful diagram.

EvelyneRose April 4th, 2018

yay so exciting!

MonBon April 4th, 2018

@Laura

Hi Laura :) How do we access the wiki?

Laura OP April 4th, 2018

@MonBon

not live yet.......

MonBon April 4th, 2018

@Laura

I feel so betrayed crying

Well I'm excited all the same :)

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn April 4th, 2018

@MonBon - it's up now: direct at 7cups.com/wiki/ or from the Wiki link on the (yellow) Community submenu

impartialBirch1435 April 5th, 2018

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn ooooh exciting

Kate April 4th, 2018

@Laura So glad to see this! Super excited about this update.

brilliantTurtle89 April 4th, 2018

Can't wait to see it. Very exciting. Thanks to everyone involved for all their hard work.

lovelyWhisper66 April 4th, 2018

OMG, it looks fantastic already!! I am a bit confused on navigating it, but I'm sure with time and practice, I will get it down. :D

Laura OP April 4th, 2018

@lovelyWhisper66

did you see the video I made? I may make a 2nd one as this is more geared toward the admin tool functions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rgjrsLYqHA&feature=youtu.be

@Laura Thanks so much! Things make more sense now. :)

@lovelyWhisper66 - it may be a bit confusing at first and along the way we can make tweaks to how things work, but we're hoping we've reached the "good enough" point to justify getting started now and then all learning together.

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn Hello Krink, you make some solid points. This is definitely a great starting point, and I can't wait to see how the wiki evolves. Thank you for all your hard work!

@Laura - btw, thanks everyone for your incredible patience as we kept promising we were close to done and then kept finding out that making new features is always harder than it looks and that it takes even more work to make it less complicated for regular folks to use!

I'd like to thank Bilal at Vteam who helped out with a lot of the initial wiki work, including an abandoned but informative attempt to integrate an open source wiki tool*, and most of all @ezraBC who put it all together, as well as @laura who helped steer the requirements and made sure we built something useful, and of course who will oversee the grand creation of an amazing library or resource of wisdom from our community!

And also @glenM who championed this wiki idea for at least a year before we could find the time and resources to really do it right.

yaaaaaay!

* for the geeks out there, it was mediawiki and it turned out to be too much work to integrate it into our user roles etc. here compared with making a basic wiki using our own "chorum" (chat/forum) mode.

Blaze April 5th, 2018

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn Thank you!!!

kindSoul10 April 6th, 2018

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

Oh gosh mediawiki is a big thing. What are your thoughts on dokuwiki?

PhoenixAsh April 4th, 2018

@Laura Super excited to start this, but wouldn't it make more sense for each subcommunity to be a parent topic, so that information can be organised a little more nicely in subcategories as it is now in subforums?

Laura OP April 5th, 2018

@PhoenixAsh

We can always re-org!

Blaze April 4th, 2018

@Laura Hello Laura! I'm having a hard time changing the formatting of migrated content, mainly font type and size. The numbers that should take to the following pages so we can see the other articles in the categories have bad links too. I have reported the latter to Support. I'm posting thi shere to let you know and to let other collaborators know that this isn't an exclusive issue, if they're having it!

JaydenIsHere April 4th, 2018

AH WIKI WIKI WIKI

*Stares at @AiluraBlaze*

Blaze April 4th, 2018

@JaydenIsHere i already got started, Jay. cheeky

AnyaS April 4th, 2018

So excited for this!!

Reececup1986 April 4th, 2018

@Laura

WOW o Yay its going to be so cool and faster to find Links for our members and Guest and New Listeners

annapaviacounselor April 4th, 2018

@Laura

just wondering...would us therapist get access?

RarelyCharlie April 5th, 2018

It's public, except for some listener-only categories. There might also be therapist-only categories, but I wouldn't expect to be able to see them as a listener wink

However, don't let the word wiki make you think it's a wiki. Unlike a real wiki, just because you can read an article doesn't mean you can edit it.

@annapaviacounselor

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn April 6th, 2018

@RarelyCharlie - oh, please now.

There are many things that define a wiki. It has never been the case that every wiki page must allow every aspect to be editable by anybody to be considered a wiki.

Being able to edit content in place is an aspect of wiki.

Being able to make new pages on the fly just by [[naming]] them inline is an aspect of wiki.

Encouraging people to work together to curate content is an aspect of wiki.

RarelyCharlie April 6th, 2018

Citation needed, as they say wink Seriously, where's the definition of wiki that 7 Cups is using?

It's not that I have a preference for any particular definition. But people who don't know the word are going to assume our wiki is like other wikis they've encountered, or else they'll look the word up in a dictionary. Either way, they're likely to end up confused.

If we're using the word wiki in a special way that only applies at 7 Cups (and I think we are), then we should make it clear to everyone what we mean.

Features like editing in place and a simplified way to make links could have been implemented here in these forums with much less work. In fact, I'm writing this reply in place within the thread, not in a popup.

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

@annapaviacounselor - therapists absolutely can read (and with sufficient privileges) edit the public wiki content and we already have a request in for therapist-only categories as well.

Rain45 April 4th, 2018

A question. under teen hotlines....its blank currently,....but if someone wanted to add resources for Uk or worldwide resources for teens and young people for trauma or addiction or self harm resources, how do we create a sub category or page for that? its currently blank but if we wanted to add resources for sub topics under the main teen resources does wiki allow that

Laura OP April 5th, 2018

@Rain45

You can only create articles within a sub-category. In this case - teen resources is a subcategory within the parent category of Resources & hotlines. Only articles can live within this subcategory! so make an article for each type of resource you want to share :)

You can also create articles in a main category. For example, the Sandbox contains subcategories and also articles.

@Laura

@RarelyCharlie - Yes, I believe in laura's reply her "only" modifies pages, in that the subcategories may only have pages and not further subcategories, and not subcategories (not say that only subcategories - and not categories - may have pages)

lovelyMango21 April 5th, 2018

Wiki

MrGrief April 5th, 2018

Good one

kindSoul10 April 5th, 2018

The wiki looks like ti have no version history. That's pretty sad.

@kate @laura @jaydenisheee

It looks like the history is hidden when there is only one version of the article. So if an article has never been edited, you can't tell who wrote it or when. I don't understand why it would have been designed this way.

@kindSoul10

kindSoul10 April 5th, 2018

@RarelyCharlie true, I just noticed it has a version history hidden behind a clock symbol.

Yes! When there is more than one version, a clock appears. But there's no tooltip to tell you what it means frown

@kindSoul10

Laura OP April 5th, 2018

@RarelyCharlie

this is good feedback. Making a note