Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Update!

GlenM November 6th, 2019

All,

Hope you are well! It has been a while since Ive been able to post with any regularity. Fortunately, I have more time - finally - to engage more on things. I wanted to take a minute to share some updates with you.

Startups are tough. Mental health startups are really tough. The thing that separates us is that we are a community of compassionate people dedicated to helping one another out. We are a small city of people aligned on this purpose. Our shared values make our startup considerably more meaningful and purposeful. Ultimately we are and always will be a place where people like you and I can volunteer to help another person by simply listening. That is something special.

One part of running a startup is paying the bills. When we first launched we had a very small team and we were running out of money. We figured out online therapy and that allowed us to keep the lights on. Universities and other organizations came on and that helped too. When we generate more revenue we are able to hire people to further build up our city (better street lights, teachers, firefighters etc.); when we have less revenue we need to let some of those people go in order to best support the city. These times are particularly challenging. More recently, we had to let some people go and this was very difficult for us and has meant less people to help in the city.

Some of you noticed the group room announcement. That is part of the scaling back. Not ideal I know, but we have limited resources at present so we have to be as smart as possible with what we do have. Everyone on the team is working hard to grow revenue so we can scale back up. We are pretty good at this, but things take time to unfold.

Ordinarily we like to give time for discussion and processing before we make a big change, but sometimes we need to act quickly. Ultimately our rooms require an adjustment to help keep them safe as possible. We understand that change can be incredibly hard when youve grown accustomed to certain features or expectations, especially sudden change. It is always your choice if you decide to stay with us and continue utilize the support our community offers. If you do stay, please remember that staff, ambassadors, and volunteer leaders are all human and all deserve to be treated kindly. Just as the rooms, forums, and messaging on 7 Cups should be used with integrity and for emotional support. This is why we do what we do. If you need emotional support and agree to follow our community guidelines we welcome you with open arms. If you would like a chatroom environment free of rules and moderation there are plenty of websites that offer that ability. We will always be here for you if you decide you prefer inclusive, moderated, and safer rooms that are support focused.

If this is where you want to be and you are open to our attempts to increase safety while also surviving the challenges of a startup, then we have each others backs and will steer into problems together solving them one at a time. It isnt always easy but it is always meaningful work and that is what ultimately matters. Thank you for supporting our community team and rallying. We are all in this together.

Onward!!!

[Jill added link]

(Edited by Forum Mentor @Emily619 to fix a typo)

GoingSafari November 6th, 2019

Another thing - the member qualifications for group chat must be clearly advertised when first logging in. We don't want to lose any potentially positive contributors to group chat! As long as they know they will get access after qualifying, I think it might be a good doorkeeper mechanism to it.

stressBear November 8th, 2019

@GoingSafari Yeah, but requiring 25 1-on-1 chats is way too high a bar for some people. Like me.

compassionateTree4567 November 6th, 2019

@GlenM Dear glen, I think I am happy with this change. As a top fan of 7cups, i really do think that this is a great way to aid people. However, some people here are over dependent and they go here most of the time which i think is fine and not good in some ways. Some people must face reality and face tough situations and make a change for themselves such as talking to people face to face. I just think some people are over dependent. Although I am a big fan here and I am glad you created this site. I couldnt be more happier talking to people, helping them, being heard and understood. <3 <3

compassionateTree4567 November 6th, 2019

@snowneoonbluez43553 I hope people can actually realize not to be dependant on people here on 7cups but see it as an aid for them to act independently.

November 7th, 2019

@snowneoonbluez43553 I don't hardly see anyone but a few people. Groups here was my social time

CaringBrit November 6th, 2019

@GlenM thankyou for that very much deeper post glen as i put its hard this change but i also know why you had too its clear too see even the volunteer mods are spread thin so i know this it cant of been that easy to have to do all this too

quintessentialRAMBLE3 November 6th, 2019

So all chats are down including 1on1? When can I expect the resurgence?

TortueDesBois November 7th, 2019

@quintessentialRAMBLE3 1on1 chat will still be available for all members to seek support. no change to it.

quintessentialRAMBLE3 November 7th, 2019

@TortueDesBois

Oh it was not working when I tried just now.

Noni just pops up with memes but no offer to connect or anything

November 7th, 2019

@quintessentialRAMBLE3 1 on 1 working for me.

TortueDesBois November 7th, 2019

@Fireskye13 for me too. but not the rooms

November 7th, 2019

I tried completely reset my phone Still no access

reliableSpring6321 November 7th, 2019

seems as though 7cups is not very supportive towards those who don't fit in here. sad considering they tend to be the ones most in need of support

jv13076 November 7th, 2019

so.. is this the end of 7 cups?.. we just lose all of our friends and people that cared about us.. we lose all those memories.. we lose a lot of friendships.. is this how 7 cups will end?.. with misery and sadness?..

Dawn04 November 7th, 2019

@jv13076 Yep, this is definitely the beginning of the end....this site will be the next to fall and if it stays up at all, be overrun with people who didn't really ever need the site to begin with.

November 7th, 2019

@jv13076 could very well be sadly

@Fireskye13

*sigh* yep..

DarkCoffee November 7th, 2019

These times are particularly challenging.

Can we get ANY reassurance that we will get the feed and all the chat rooms back when things get better?

Glossytears November 7th, 2019

Are we going to have the dissability room back since I need it so much

vivelespatates November 7th, 2019

@navySky3456 i will sometimes open the disability room when there will be room supporters to help me out. are you interested in the room supporter role?

fearlessWriter78 November 7th, 2019

@vivelespatates I'd like to be a room supporter but don't want the burden of being a listener/bombarded by people, as I still struggle with taking care of myself 😔

@fearlessWriter78 hey there! the member room supporter is different from the listener one. because your primairy role as a member, is always to SEEK support. as a leadership, you have to be a role model and a leader of course, a role model, as a member, it meas you show what is a good MEMBER, so seeking support and still be welcoming, friendly and respect the rules, seeking support by respecting others on the room, which I think, you already do well right now. as a member, the badge doesnt show in the room, so no one can bug you in the room for it. as a member of a team, you may be invited to give feedback on the room, share suggestions or ideas on how making the room more supportive for members as yourself, so your voice matters very much on the team. if this role interest you, you can see more informations here: https://www.7cups.com/forum/GroupSupport_168/RoomSupporter_1769/MemberRoomSupportersRequirementsandApplication_186045/

Glossytears November 7th, 2019

@vivelespatates Yes please

@navySky3456 more informations and application for the member supporter role here:
https://www.7cups.com/forum/GroupSupport_168/RoomSupporter_1769/MemberRoomSupportersRequirementsandApplication_186045/

Emily619 November 7th, 2019

@navySky3456

It will be opened for discussions, and you can always access the sub-community

After the PTB (powers that be) refused to help with the stalker situation, I already feel I predicted the beginning of the end of 7Cups - and this is just confirming it.

@Dawn04 and they shut down groupchat which is the safest place to be on this site because creeps get called out, whereas 1 on 1 is like being alone in a room with a stranger

@reliableSpring6321 That's how I felt with the feed. I used the feed more than forums because the feed was more personal, more of a sanctuary where the forums were easy for the stalker to prey and to try to drive me insane. I even messed @Glen about this and got no response.

TheMadQueen420 November 8th, 2019

@reliableSpring6321

Yeah I literally dealt with a creep of a listener tonight who kept talking about wanting to "see me", telling me he loved me and all kinds of other things.

Like out of the blue and everything. How low is the actual bar for becoming a listener I wonder.

AbbyHarris1976 November 9th, 2019

@TheMadQueen420

There are some listeners who are hot mess crazy, and not to figuratively start a war, but many of them are from a few certain countries and they behave very dishonorably toward women. 👎😢 Certainly, they have no business being listeners. 🤬💩

Have you seen some of the listener profiles on Browse Listeners? 🙄 How pathetic 👎

November 7th, 2019

Really hating group being closed really really not good

@Fireskye13

same..

FaTaLMercenery November 7th, 2019

@GlenM I don't have access to the group chats and have both the badges. I think this change was poorly planned/executed, there should have been more of a heads up first of all. Also, locking a chat behind badges, especially one requiring a user to talk to 5 listeners, I think that is kind of ridiculous. I personally have a lot of anxiety and am terrible in 1-1 personal chats but I can talk in group chat with less of a struggle. I honestly feel bad for anyone looking for help who deals with anxiety and isn't comfortable with 1-1 conversations, because I know if that was my only option(at least to start), I'd find somewhere else to go.

Issax November 7th, 2019

@FaTaLMercenery aye big guy! Nice to see a familiar face after the group chats Are gone 😩

fairmindedSummer8911 November 7th, 2019

What sucks the most is i was considering switching back to group because my one to ones has been kind bad lately like they would just stop responding five seconds in without a trace. @FaTaLMercenery

lucy2 November 8th, 2019

Hi @fairmindedSummer8911

Really sorry to read you've had poor one2one chats, that's not how it should be at all, in fact more and more listeners are requesting and receiving Quality Coaching, to ensure they can offer members the listening ear they need, but we can't force listeners to take up this offer. We can only hope more do so in the future.

Lucy2 heart

bet this thread gets deleted

Regmo November 7th, 2019

Does this mean I'm not going to be abused anymore?

Issax November 7th, 2019

@GlenM well this is quite sad. I was away for 2 days and was excited to talk to the people in the depression support chatroom. I think we had our moments there. We played skribbl.io at some point and a lot of us really enjoyed it. Idk Im just really sad.

fiddy November 7th, 2019

@GlenM I can't get into the 35 and over chat.