Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

California

GlenM June 18th, 2018

7 Cups started off as a service where one person that was going through a hard time could connect with another person that was willing to listen to them. This very simple beginning was the start of a journey that led us to where we are today. Now we have chatrooms, forums, leadership programs, active listening training, sub-communities, Noni, iOS and Android apps, and therapists. We have worked together to create a free emotional support system where anyone that is going through a challenge can find multifaceted support to help them grow stronger.

Over the years, we have continued to work towards our mission of becoming a global community that can support anyone for free all over the world. I am very proud of what we have accomplished thus far. And excited to continue working towards our goal for years to come!

Today, I have some great news to share with you. Right now, were figuring out a way to work with the California health system to bring more help and services to the residents of California.

We have been chosen to work with various counties in CA on this project. We do not yet know all of the details (Ill share more when I learn them), but we do know that this will be a significant investment on their part to help make real impact in CA. The focus there will be on supporting college and high school students; caregivers; community engagement; and providing additional support to people currently engaged in the mental health system. For example, we hope to create growth paths to help transitional age youth (those in the foster system), the deaf and hard of hearing community, and new mothers.

What I love about this is that, not only will we be able to reach more people in California, this partnership will bring extra resources for 7 Cups. It will give us a great opportunity to improve the 7 Cups website and app, fix bugs more quickly and hire new team members. Well be able to provide better all around care to everyone around the world.

Its an exciting time for us! Working with California does not take away from our other efforts supporting people all over the US and the world free of charge. We will continue to dedicate ourselves to those in need all over the US & the world.

Weve come extraordinarily far by following the stoic proverb that the obstacle is the way or the problem is the path. All the changes weve made in our community, and the new features weve added, have been as a result of solving problems.

We all got here together. This ensures that we will help many more people for years to come. Were going to be able to provide better help to more people than ever before!

How does this impact you?

Just keep doing what you are doing - enjoy 7 Cups and continue to help us create a supportive community! And if you are from California, keep a look out for additional opportunities to support your communities on 7 Cups.

sweetS0u1 June 19th, 2018

@GlenM This is Wonderful!!!!! Wow Merci!

calmPudding76 June 19th, 2018

@GlenM.. this is awesome news!! Great going!

AubergineLady July 14th, 2018

@GlenM. I cant make it to the Sacramento meeting due to a schedule conflict. But I am in north/central California where we desperately need this in our county. I will do everything I can to help here on the ground! Dont hesitate to let me know what needs I can meet to help you make this happen.

Ang0125 July 30th, 2018

@GlenM

i live in California this is great to know and exciting for not only myself but for everyone else!!!

Raspberrycheesecake June 18th, 2018

Hey @GlenM! This is an amazing achievement!! I'm excited to see what happens next! laugh

GlenM OP June 18th, 2018

@Raspberrycheesecake - we have all done a phenomenal job with things. I'm also very excited. It is going to be so great to have more people to help - our collective efforts will be amplified. Thank you!

NoteToMyHeartwarm June 21st, 2018

@GlenM This is awesome! Thank you so much and were happy for this Wonderful achievement. I'm proud to be a 7cups member. Cheers for all

EmpatheticEars94 June 18th, 2018

@GlenM Hi Glen. Wonderful that you are extendeding the services to those who might benefit most from them. I live in a country where there is not a large emphasis on mental health,and where having access to mental health support systems are scarce. The services 7 cups provide can certainly be beneficial for third-world countires where emotional support is not a reality for most. Keep up with the wonderful work you and your team are doing.

GlenM OP June 18th, 2018

@EmpatheticEars94 Thank you very much! What is great about all the work we do on the platform is that much of it generalizes to other areas. So work we accomplish in one part of the world can be localized to help people in other parts of the world. We are getting there :). One step at a time.

ElaineSaysHello June 18th, 2018

OMG yes!!!!!! I live in California, and this would be so awesome for me to take on these opportunities to contribute to the 7 Cups community! :D Can't wait to see what's in store!!!

GlenM OP June 18th, 2018

@ElaineSaysHello I've got to take my hat off to CA. They are really being out front on this. Great group of people that want to make a difference. I'm thankful for them :).

Power14 June 18th, 2018

@GlenM

Wow that's a great news. Congrats to all 7 Cups family. I'm so exited about it.

GlenM OP June 18th, 2018

@Power14 thank you!

MonBon June 18th, 2018

@GlenM

Great!

Laura June 18th, 2018

@MonBon

Yay :)

SeekApotheosis50 June 18th, 2018

@GlenM

This is such exciting news! I wish Canada had more of this type of resource!

And great for me personally as I will be starting my PsyD in California in January. :) I'm super stoked to be part of 7cups.

Laura June 18th, 2018

@SeekApotheosis50

Hooray! That is so cool you are going for your degree! Good luck!

Thank you for your positive reply! We are excited too!

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn June 19th, 2018

today California, tomorrow the world !!

;D

or maybe, today .ca.us, tomorrow .ca !!

:D

@SeekApotheosis50

Zed786 June 18th, 2018

@GlenM

Great achievement! The majority of the almost 1000 people I've listened to so far have been Californian, this initiative will surely be a great support to both the state and 7cups. Look forward to helping this succeed :)

Kate June 18th, 2018

@Zed786 Awesome! Thanks so much for being a listener in our community!

Zed786 June 18th, 2018

@Kate thx :) It helps me a lot, glad i'm here too tbh

June 18th, 2018

@GlenM

Is great news, really proud of the communities achievements. Anything that offers support to those with mental health is a positive from me, looking forward to hearing more about this project!

Kate June 18th, 2018

@FluffyKittens86 Thanks kittens! We're excited!

Anomalia June 18th, 2018

@GlenM - this is incredibly exciting news and I can't wait to hear more about the details, in particular around how the new partnership will or will not integrate and interact with the broader site.

OpsTops June 18th, 2018

@Anomalia thanks. we will share more details soon as they get figured out. The goal is to reach as many people in need as we can.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn June 23rd, 2018

@OpsTops @Anomalia - btw, ive been thinking a wiki section on site for near term roadmap sharing and discussion might work well

cc @rumplesteeleskin - for example we have discussed 3-5 improvements for Q&A features and it could be good to have them on a wiki page connected to other wishlist and feedback items for my team. gonna think on this.

RumpleSteeleSkin June 23rd, 2018

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

Id like to see a new area added

transioning/foster care-homes

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn June 23rd, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin - yes! several of the counties are particularly interested in both the foster-age youth and the transitional age that seems like a very challenging time for many!

Anomalia June 25th, 2018

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn - LOVE the idea of making some of the roadmap more visible so that the community can see what's in the works!

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 3rd, 2019

@Anomalia - yes, me too! I am now using roadmap software that makes it possible to share these items and i'll figure out a way to make it visible on the wiki (which is a bit broken right now, I believe?).

GuardianAngel77 June 18th, 2018

@GlenM

That's great news!! it's awesome!!😊😊😊😊!! Growing and expanding great!! 😊😊😊!!

Thank you very much for all you're doing!! 😊😊😊!!

Kate June 18th, 2018

@GuardianAngel77 Yay! Glad to hear you're excited too!

darren7195 June 19th, 2018

@GlenM: I am so happy that you are giving supprt to foster care youth in Califronia. I have worked over 8 years in foster care as a Therapuetic Foster Parent. Specificly trained in working with youth suffering SED, PTSD and Learning Disabilities. I hope that you will working with Mendocino and/or Lake Counties in my region. As many of our transitioning fosster youth make up a lot of our homeless population as well as fall victim of human traficking. Please let me know what I can do to support your efforts in California. Let's grow 7 cups!

Laura June 19th, 2018

@darren7195

Thank you so much for your reply! No matter which counties we serve, all services will be available and open for all to use. We'd love your help in thinking about how create these spaces for TAY. I will reach out to discuss :)

Thank you for your support!

darren7195 June 19th, 2018

@Laura: I welcome your invite to schedule a discussion.

sweetS0u1 June 19th, 2018

Wow!! Lovely!

Laura June 19th, 2018

@sweetS0u1

heart We think so too!

terrytee June 19th, 2018

@GlenM

This is really cool!!!
I really hope you'll share more details with us when you have them!!!!! :D

Laura June 19th, 2018

@terrytee

Thank you for your support Terry!! Yes, we will share details as we have them :)

glowingFreedom June 19th, 2018

@GlenM I'm so glad we've come this far! Congratulations! Some of my friends are in Cal so I hope all this benefits them as well