Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

SHA #1: Do you think self harm defines you ?

ASilentObserver March 5th

Group Support organizing the month of Self-Harm Awareness Week,  the focus will be on discussing general awareness, and support, and celebrating milestones and small steps. This will be an opportunity for all of us to come together and extend our support and compassion to all who struggling with self-harm. 

There is a common thought that self-harm defines us but I disagree. I think self-harm does not define you. It is sort of a coping mechanism used by some to deal with difficult emotions and experiences, but it does not represent the entirety of who you are. Please know that.

• You are a whole person with many valuable qualities and strengths. Self-harm is just one aspect of your experience, and it doesn't diminish the other parts of your life and identity.
  • There are reasons why you might be self-harming, but those reasons don't have to define your future. You can find healthier ways to cope, and you can overcome the challenges you are facing.
  • Many people who self-harm go on to live healthy, fulfilling lives. With help and support, you can too.
  • It's temporary, not permanent. Self-harm is rarely a lifelong behavior. With help and support, individuals can learn healthier coping mechanisms and move beyond self-harm.

But, the question of whether self-harm defines you is one that only you can answer for yourself. It is a deeply personal and introspective journey to explore how self-harm has influenced your life and sense of self. While self-harm may have played a role in shaping your experiences, it does not have the power to define who you are as a person. You are complex, multifaceted, and resilient, capable of overcoming challenges and embracing your true self beyond the scars of the past. We must approach the topic of self-harm with empathy, understanding, and a commitment to supporting those who are struggling.

🌱 Discussion Question:  Do you think self-harm defines you? Share the reasoning behind your answer. 🌱

Let me know what you think.  

its-okay.gif
intuitiveHickory85 March 5th

@ASilentObserver Hey 

I have been there !!! It's wonderful to see the focus on Self-Harm Awareness Week and providing support. Self-harm is undoubtedly a complex aspect of one's journey, and I agree that it doesn't define a person. It's crucial to recognize the multifaceted nature of individuals and emphasize their strengths and resilience. The question of whether self-harm defines someone is deeply personal, and the journey toward understanding and overcoming it is unique for each individual. Your thoughtful approach fosters empathy and encouragement for those facing these challenges🌟

ASilentObserver OP March 7th

@intuitiveHickory85 Thank you for sharing your insights about self-harm and its impact on our identities, hickory. You raised some important points about the complexity of this experience and the importance of acknowledging each person's unique journey. I agree that by focusing on strengths and resilience, we can work together towards healing and growth. How do you think we can best support those who may be struggling with self-harm?

intuitiveHickory85 March 8th

@ASilentObserver Important components of offering support include acknowledging the complexity of each person's path and highlighting strengths and resilience. It's essential to provide a secure, judgment-free environment in order to help those who are battling with self-harm. A big impact may be made by promoting open communication, demonstrating empathy, and putting people in touch with experts. Which techniques or methods work best for you while helping others get through difficult times?

@ASilentObserver Selfharm does not define me, no. But it gives me the relief I need in a time of need (hard feelings mostly). I only self harm to manage myself and my feeling, which is the only thing that helps. Mostly bc of anxiety.

@TheMadHatterWasHere Thank you for opening up with us, theMad <3 It sounds like you are experiencing difficult emotions and are turning to self-harm as a way to cope. But  on one hand, it provides temporary relief from difficult emotions, but on the other hand, it can also have negative consequences. How do you weigh these different aspects? 

@ASilentObserver I honestly see no negative consequences. It's not like I cut too deep or anything. I can control myself when cutting. Yes, I get quite a few scars, but I can live with that. I am living with that.

OneErased March 5th

@ASilentObserver

There was a time that I thought it did. It was a time of a lot of new problems and new ways I had to learn to live, so that thought was the easiest in the midst of it all. 

But it doesn't define me. It serves a purpose at the moment that you have to grow away from. Find other healthier ways to cope with your issues and let go of it. Not as easy as it sounds. And a part of it is accepting you might drift back to it even after a long time, which happened to me last year. And there's nothing wrong with that, you're not a failure if it happens - it can be like addiction that way. It's just finding your way back up again, like with any problem you face. 

I don't feel as positively about it as I might sound, but the logic is there. Emotions and logic kinda like to fight a lot. 

@OneErased Thank you Erased for opening up with us here. I agree and it makes sense, and I think you've  found some useful insights there. It sounds like you've grown to recognize that though it may have been helpful for a time, it isn't helpful anymore, and it's okay to move on from it. Even if you do end up returning to it, it's not a failure, but rather a part of your journey. How do you feel about that now that you've come to this realization?

Kristynsmama March 7th

@ASilentObserver

There was a time in my life when self harm was absolutely every ounce of my identity.  As I have healed over the years and learned better and more effective coping skills, I have let go of letting self harm identify me.  I am Kristy, a courageous, compassionate, colorful  and awesome woman, leading from my heart and trusting in God’s plan for me.  I no longer consider myself a self garner.

this was a great discussion question.  Thank you for reminding me to be who I am!

ASilentObserver OP March 15th

@Kristynsmama Thank you for sharing your powerful journey of growth and healing. We are all proud of you and here with you to support you in your progressive journey of healing and growth

shadowGREYYSON March 8th

@ASilentObserver no it brings out your inner strength 

@warmheartedgreyyson I am glad you feel this way warm and please feel free to share more with us. We are all here with you to listen to and to support. You are not alone in this. 

@ASilentObserver

Does my job or family or how much money I have define me? My hair or eye or skin colour or my sex or gender? Being part of the human race, a traumatized, traumatic and traumatizing society? Of course it does. It defines me as much as anything else. Is it all there is when it comes to defining me? Perhaps not, but are systems fair enough to allow equal distribution of wealth to everyone, allowing us to be there for each other and doing as much as it could? That's possibly the hardest no ever. Maybe in some abstract conceptual sense I'm not defined by it, but I think I deserve more then futilely grasping at straws in an attempt to keep them from breaking the camel's back of my life, don't you think?

@communicativePond1728 Thank you for opening up with us, Pond. I hear you. It feels to be grappling with complex questions about identity and what defines us. It's understandable that these reflections bring up difficult feelings. But please know you did well with acknowledging and sharing your thoughts with us. We are all here for you to support and listen to. <3