Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The Community Guideline Series

AnnaSilverberg November 29th, 2023
Hay everyone✨! 

Are you familiar with our Community Guidelines?
How is your understanding of our Guidelines? 
Do you have questions regarding our Guidelines?

This is the first post in the Community Guideline series, 
we want you safe in our Community and we hope that you find this series helpful.

Now, why do we have guidelines?
Our guidelines do serve a purpose, they are here to ensure all of our safety for both Listeners and Members.
They focus on making our Cups environment a friendly, supportive, and safe one. 
We all want a place where we can have that, Cups strives to fulfil those needs and if we all put our work in making Cups safe, then that is exactly what we will accomplish. 

So, by us all going by the guidelines, we are making sure that Cups has the ability to be that place for us. 

Here you can find our Guidelines, I do recommend that you take a good look at them since they are so very important. 

Here are a few things from the Guidelines, regarding the look of our profiles.

Profile Picture
Why is it important to have an appropriate profile picture?
A big part of creating a supportive environment lies in this one, that’s why it is in the guidelines. As 7Cups focuses on keeping us safe, this is included in it. 
It’s never a good experience to be about to send someone a message and then get overwhelmed or triggered by their profile picture. 
Please keep the picture appropriate.

Profile Bio
In our Profile Bio we get the perfect opportunity to introduce ourselves a little, we can let people know what hobbies we have and other light-hearted information. 
But we can not give any identifiable information about ourselves, 7Cups is about anonymity and that’s the best way to remain safe. 
It’s also against our guidelines to have triggering information in our profile, that has the same reason as the one is given about the Profile photo. 

Profile Username
With our profile username, we have the opportunity to be creative and use words that in a way describe how we are. 
But as with the first two, keeping it appropriate and anonymous is important.

FYI: Profile Pictures/Bio/Usernames that don’t follow the guidelines will be flagged.
We definitely don’t want that to happen. Stay appropriate :) 

A few questions for you, wonderful community member:
  1. How can you make sure that your profile, bio and username fits the Community Guidelines?
  2. Why is it important that we go by the Community Guidelines?
  3. What do we do when we see an inappropriate username, profile picture or bio?
I would love to hear all your answers. 

Here are a few links that are interesting, informative and useful as well:

Check out Part two here

We wish you all a wonderful rest of your day

Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 29th, 2023

@AnnaSilverberg

Ooh this series sounds interesting, Anna, thank you for putting it together, community guidelines are the backbone ensuring a supportive and safe space for everyone at 7 cups. Always great to refresh our existing knowledge plus be open to learn something new hehe!💗

AnnaSilverberg OP November 29th, 2023
🌞 @Sunisshiningandsoareyou 🌞

I'm glad to hear that you find it interesting,
I agree with you, without Guidelines, we can lack the guidance
that they give us, and sometimes it helps to chat about them to understand them better.
There will be more fun coming up with the Guideline Series, 
I look forwards to sharing them 
😊
✨💙
✨ 
Filmlover12 November 29th, 2023

@AnnaSilverberg

i really like the idea of this.

I like both my username and cups pfp that gave me so not planing to change both if I do not have to.

i have not wrote in my profile section yet and do feel like have too

Filmlover12 November 29th, 2023

@Hopeandjoy12

safty patrol

@Hopeandjoy12

I'm glad to hear that, 
I see that you've got a wonderful username and a Profile Picture.
Perhaps getting inspiration from profiles you find inspirational can
help you write the profile you want to have. 
Thank you for your work on the Safety Patrol team
🙌
✨💙
✨ 
cloudySummer November 29th, 2023

For your question number 3, I wish there was an easy way to do that, like a flag icon on the profile page. I honestly have no idea how to find the right place to report those. In the past, I've used the ticketing system, but that is pretty cumbersome.

For your question no. 1, I wish all those young girls would understand that using a sexually suggestive photo of themselves is putting them in danger of their anonymity being dissolved, and of attracting unwelcome attention from people who are here for other reasons than their mental health. Recently, the 'browse listeners' page has started to look a bit like a dating site. This is not what I'm here for.

@cloudySummer

Thank you so much for your replies to our questions💙 
I do agree with you, 7Cups is a support site and we 
need to keep it supportive. 
If you find a profile that does not meet the site Guidelines, 
you can fill out this
 form
✨💙✨
✨ 

@AnnaSilverberg I don't like to use an external website for filling out reports about 7Cups users. It's violating my privacy. So I do not do that, if it isn't 150% important.

@cloudySummer

I understand, that's okay 😊
We also have the SPOT team, you can check that out in the 
links that are in this post if you are interested
😯
✨💙
✨ 

I'd prefer if it could be implemented in software with a simple flag icon on any profile. That would be much more obvious. I'm not going to do a long and possibly fruitless search-and-link-treasure-hunt in the forums, if I see a wonky profile. But I would click a button and fill in a form. And if someone like me isn't doing that, then less informed and more distressed persons probably will do that with an even lower likelihood. This is a clear website programming task, not something to catch by throwing a confusing network of forum posts onto users.

@cloudySummer

What an interesting idea, Summer😊

Feel free to go to our
 Help Desk and submit this 
idea there, you choose "Product Feature Request".
✨💙✨
✨ 

@AnnaSilverberg I've posted multiple ideas and bug reports there, and all I ever get in reply is that they will respond within 48 hours. That has never happened. So I have no idea whether anyone is even reading those. I think cups has a serious problem with managing their IT, putting effort into non-UX-expert-reviewed more-or-less-random interface changes, instead of fixing the main pain points first. It seems pretty headless and undirected to me.

My conclusion is that it's futile to try to help them by highlighting those issues to them. They may work it out on their own, or more likely, not. For a company who's business is in tech and who claim they want to help people, they seem painfully clueless.

Heartsandrosesandpaws November 29th, 2023

@AnnaSilverberg

have a question about usernames

is it ok for a username to have bot girl  or teen in it if it’s a 18+ user

That totally  always confusing to me

@Powerandsunset25

Hay Power, 
I understand how that can feel confusing. 
Both are allowed as they are not inappropriate, 
if there is any inappropriate behavior or the profile isn't appropriate, 
then it's best to report it. I hope this answers your questions and 
sets you free from your confusion 😊
✨💙
✨