Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A concerning post I read

StarriKnight September 4th, 2020

Hi.. recently I read a post in the trauma subcommunity. The person talked about being abducted and abused by aliens repeatedly... it was quite in depth. I'm just a little worried about this person, clearly some of the things they talked about were imagined, maybe hallucinations, they couldn't have actually happened. Is there anything I can do...?

RarelyCharlie September 4th, 2020

@StarriKnight 7 Cups' front page says:

7 Cups connects you to caring listeners for free emotional support

What we do here is provide people with emotional support, and you can do that in the forum without becoming a listener first. When providing emotional support the important thing, I would suggest, is to understand and reflect the person's emotions accurately, without complicating matters by adding any of your own thoughts, and without trying to solve anything that you consider to be a problem.

Of course there are many things you cannot do. For example, if someone has suffered trauma you cannot make their trauma go away, (although if you train to become a professional therapist, then one day you might be able to help your clients recover from the effects of trauma). Another thing you cannot do is change anyone's beliefs about aliens, or about things that from their perspective actually happened.

If you'd ever like to discuss any of this further, feel free to message me, or reply here in the forum.

Charlie

Endure777 November 25th, 2020

@RarelyCharlie

This is a great response Charlie! Thank you <3