Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Online Safety and Privacy (PSA)

GnomedBinary December 11th, 2023

I've been an advocate for online safety and user privacy for some time now, and would like to share my knowledge with everyone - especially those in the 50+ community as you guys are the main target for cyber crime.

Introduction

As anyone whose been on the internet for more than 2 minutes, knows - ads are everywhere and are unavoidable *Vsauce Music kicks in* (Or, are they?)
The average internet user probably doesn't realize just how many of these predatory and sometimes dangerous ads are served to them daily - per website that have them. Today, in this thread - I hope to educate everyone on how to better protect themselves online and what your rights are on the internet and how to exercise them.

image_1702263600.png

How Many Ads?

Oh boy, this number will shock you - on average, the day-to-day internet user who never uses ad-blockers will be served a total of 300,000 or more ads per day - from exploring multiple websites or just using search engines.

Most websites on the internet that are free to use, employ monetization strategies in the form of predatory - and sometimes unfiltered ads.
If you regularly use Google services such as ***, and actively sign-in to your Google account - it can be even worse as Google will serve you "personalized" ads based on your activity on the internet - associated with your account.

image_1702263969.png

Why are Ads Dangerous?

Unfortunately, the internet isn't like television where advertisements must follow strict regulations in order to get screen time - online, advertisers have less regulations and quality control. This can lead to bad actors potentially abusing the platform in order to spread malware, misinformation or scams - and unfortunately not much can or is being done to stop this.

Individuals 50 or older are the main demographic for online advertisers, these 3rd parties specifically take advantage of people's technological and digital ignorance. However, staying informed about the latest tech news from trusted sources (which I will have linked down below) - and exercising your right to privacy online are the best ways to stay safe.

image_1702264454.png

How Can I Protect Myself?

This is going to sound obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people ignore or forget this one piece of advice - but NEVER click on any ads on the internet, no matter who they're from or what website they're on. One click or tap is all someone needs to install malware on your device and cause thousands of dollars of damage.

However, you aren't completely helpless - there are tools and ways for you to stay safe.
These resources are available to everyone who uses Google Chrome, Mozzila Firefox and Microsoft Edge.

uBlock Origin - An ad-blocker that blocks and hides ads on the internet, updated regularly - requiring no user input after addition. (Works on YouTube)

Ad-Block - An ad-blocker that blocks and hides ads on the internet, updated regularly - requiring no user input after addition. (Will no longer be supported on Google Chrome starting January 1st, 2024)

Privacy Badger - A privacy focused extension, that blocks identifiers (trackers) on websites. While a "add and forget" extension, has advanced tools for experienced users to make custom blacklists along with regular updates. (While not against YouTube guidelines, may get you banned for being "Not Commercially Viable". Yes this is a thing - and yes it is legal for them to do, whether you think its moral is up to you)

Opera - A privacy focused chromium web-browser, is compatible with above extensions - updated regularly and can import bookmarks, passwords and search history from other browsers.

Brave - A privacy focused chromium web-browser, also compatible with the above extensions - updated regularly and can also import bookmarks, passwords and search history from other browsers.

NordVPN - A virtual private network that masks your IP and internet traffic, helping you to stay anonymous online.

Online Advertising Laws Around the World

UK
Consumer Protection Regulations
General Data Protection Regulations
Advertising Standards Authority
Privacy and Elecontric Communications Regulations
Competition and Market Authority

EU
General Data Protection Regulations
ePrivacy Directive
Unfair Commerical Practices Directive
Audiovisual Media Services Directive
Platform-to-Business Regulation
Antitrust and Competition Law
National Advertising Standards Bodies

AU
Australian Consumer Law
Australian Privacy Principles
The Australian Association of National Advertisers
Electronic Transactions Act
Spam Act
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission

US
Federal Trade Commission
COPPA
CAN-SPAM Act
Digital Advertising Alliance
California Consumer Privacy Act
Telephone Consumer Protection Act
Sherman Antitrust Act

GnomedBinary OP December 11th, 2023

i forgot to add, here are some trusted news sourses for tech news:

https://www.theonion.com/

https://www.wired.com/

please remember to ALWAYS fact check articles - especially if they come from mainstream media.

Tulipsmile December 14th, 2023

@shyCranberry4405 wow-thank-you-kamala-harris.gif

slowdecline48 December 29th, 2023

An excellent & timely post on one of the more important issues today, @GnomedBinary. Unfortunately the Sherman Antitrust Act is utterly toothless overall because the federal government never invokes it, even in situations where it is clearly warranted. (Yes, G00gle & Faceblech, I'm talking about you) The overwhelming dominance of Blackrock in the global economy is also an example where the Sherman Act applies, at least within CONUS*, Hawaii & Alaska. Aside from that, however, your made a great post.

*CONUS - an acronym for CONtinental United States