Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I am feeling lonely.

hegilbert November 22nd, 2020

Hi.

As the title indicates, I have been contending with quite a bit of lonelienss as of recent; I do not really have any platonic connections with people my age. I am immensley appreciative of my family and significant other, but I do not really have any friendships. I will explain further in the following paragraphs.

To describe myself a little, I feel as my introverted personality trait is rather strong; I am a very quiet/silent individual, I rarely speak and this "state" of being quiet is something of internal, emotional, and even physical comfort. I was recently diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, meaning that I do have my sensitivies and needs. I absolutely treasure my alone time as it I have my own space and time for my hobbies and interests.

However, being a quiet, autistic individual has made it hard for me to be able to find and make a good friendship. It saddens me, because making friends with a lot of people my age nowadays appears so reliant on constant, tiring back-and-forth conversation that's energetic and charismatic. This discomforts me.

To me, an ideal friendship is one that in which I can feel comfortable being my quiet self almost always. I yearn for the experience of being alone, together with somebody, doing our own things, but appreciative to have each other's presence. Please, am I in the wrong for this?

Thank you.

fearlessNickel4472 November 22nd, 2020

@hegilbert you are not wrong. I understand what you're saying and I hope you find supportive friendships here.

hegilbert OP November 22nd, 2020

@fearlessNickel4472 Thank you, I appreciate it.

Saraamari22 November 22nd, 2020

@hegilbert

i hope you find the support here 😊

hegilbert OP November 22nd, 2020

@Saraamari22 Thank you.

KatLis123 November 22nd, 2020

@hegilbert

I completely understand what you are feeling when you say you need a lot of quiet/alone time but also have friendships that are meaningful where you still get to be your own person and making your needs a priority. That is reasonble and perfect. You will be supported here by everyone. You don't need to be alone no matter what you are going through right now. We got your back! :-)

hegilbert OP November 23rd, 2020

@KatLis123 Thank you. :)