Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Confused about starting a new relationship

Lolalandia May 23rd, 2017

I like someone and i think he likes me back. I feel a mess right now dealing with some stress and depression but he is happy and have a nice life, he doesn't know about what I'm going through. So I don't want to be in a relationship with him cause i don't want to ruin his life, i dont want to be some bad vibe for him, is that a justified thought?? Or maybe i should give this a chance? Help please im confused thanks!

DonnasDaughter May 23rd, 2017

@Lolalandia

I can relate to. Your thoughts are certainly justified; relationships are scary, being vulnerable is super scary. Managing your mental health is no small task and it's hard to share those personal details with someone, you should give yourself credit for taking the steps to positively approach your potential new relationship. You seem to have good insight of yourself. I struggle with the same thoughts, fearing I will negatively impact someone's life because of my issues, it's a lot of negative self talk patterns.

Don't believe all those unkind thoughts, when the enter your mind, try to notice them and challenge them. I'm working on this myself because deep down I know I want a healthy relationship and that I have love to offer, despite what my fears and negative thoughts have to say. For example, my thought, "you are the dark part of their day, always bringing them down." I try to notice this thought, interrupt it, or challenge it with a positive thought, "that's not true, I bring a lot of joy to their day, they like being around me."

I'd say take your time to determine if you are ready for a new relationship, make a commitment to yourself to continue managing your mental health, be honest about yourself when you feel comfortable, forgive yourself for past relationships-learn from them, you won't ruin this relationship, you have more insight about yourself now, that's an advantage! :)