Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Why do people push others away?

creativeAvocado772 April 12th, 2023

I have this person that I thought we were close as friends and over time I found she was not who she claimed to be and pushed myself and others that deeply cared for them away. I would have done anything for this person and never badmouthed her after we had a disagreement (although with their trust issues in people probably thinks otherwise). They have pushed everyone in the community of people we hung out with away. Why do people do this? It seems that their intentions were only to use people for their own gain and had no intention on developing deep relationships with others. If this is the case, don’t act like you care if you’re going to do this. It causes so much harm to those on the other end. It’s been over a year and still want to help them but what was done in the last fallout (ghosting, etc) for something I did not do has pushed me to a point that has really hurt me deeply in negative ways. I went into a severe depressive episode. For those who avoid emotional intimacy, it can severely impact others who care about you in ways you will probably never comprehend.

LesbianFurry1293 April 12th, 2023

@creativeAvocado772 Why would people not push you away?

creativeAvocado772 OP April 12th, 2023

People who have empathy and communicate don’t do this. You talk through the discomfort. That’s how relationships thrive. I’m lucky to say all of my friendships throughout my life have been involving mutual respect and compassion.

dukeofdearham April 12th, 2023

@creativeAvocado772,

sometimes a person needs space,time. To figure things out. So the person can sort himself or herself out. It's not personal. It's not pushing others away.

I understand that it how it makes others feels, feeling like being pushed away. That is not their intention.

This person has done this to everyone to an entire goup of people, not just myself.

dukeofdearham April 12th, 2023

@creativeAvocado772,

as I said, it is what people do at times. Because they might need space, solitude, need to be alone and be left alone.

It's not personal. All you can do is respect them and their choices.

bubbleCurrent6525 April 12th, 2023

@creativeAvocado772

I don't know if this implies to the person you are talking about but maybe fear. Sometimes people would push people away, fearing they would get hurt if others came too close. It might be related to something they experienced in the past, making them scared of trusting people and opening up to them. They might put a wall up when they interact with others. People would not fully understand them since they don't talk about themself much.

This may be the case here. Thank you