Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

New partners

amtippqt09 July 5th

Ex wants to introduce our 2 children to new partner. I say wait 6 months but he keeps pestering to be sooner. I’ve asked several times what’s the rush and of course I get called ugly names. I’ve asked how long they’ve been talking and he won’t answer. He moved out April 1st and swears he started talking after that.. when is an appropriate time for children 10 and under to meet a new partner?

toughTiger6481 July 5th

@amtippqt09

I agree with you that a minimum of 6 months seems better.... if he is pushing back either he spoke sooner OR she is pushing for him to prove he is serious 

amtippqt09 OP July 5th

I did not even think about that second part but it makes absolute sense now. I appreciate your insight. I explained to him that our 7 year old is not handling the separation as easily as the 10 year old. 7 year old cries every time I drop them off for the weekend sometimes just for 1 night. I’m hoping he’ll consider her emotions and back off for a little while longer.

BlossomGirvan July 5th

@amtippqt09

Navigating the introduction of a new partner to children after a separation can be delicate. It's understandable to have concerns about timing and ensuring it's in the best interest of your children. Here are a few considerations:

1. Stability and Adjustment: Children need time to adjust to changes, especially following a separation. It's important to ensure they feel emotionally stable and secure before introducing new people into their lives.

2. Relationship Duration: A reasonable guideline is waiting until the relationship has been stable for several months, ideally around 6 months to a year. This allows time to gauge the seriousness and stability of the new relationship.

3. Child's Readiness: Every child is different. Some may be more adaptable and open to meeting new people sooner, while others may need more time. Assessing how your children are coping with the separation can guide the timing.

Given your situation, it's understandable to want to ensure your children have enough time to adjust to the changes before meeting someone new. It might be helpful to express these concerns to your ex in a calm and reasoned manner, emphasizing the well-being and stability of your children as the primary concern. If he continues to react negatively, it might be beneficial to seek advice from a family counselor or mediator to help facilitate productive discussions

amtippqt09 OP July 5th

Thank you! I have been overstimulated emotionally on this topic. I greatly appreciate your help and understanding

BlossomGirvan July 6th

@amtippqt09

You're very welcome! I completely understand how emotionally overwhelming this situation can be.🌹 

littleWheel5073 July 5th

My bf and i waited 4 months before i met his five year old. We intended to wait longer tbh but she started asking to meet me. I had a video call with her mother beforehand to meet, and met her on that call with her mom before meeting her in person. I think it should always be a joint decision. But some people just do what they want with zero regard for anyone else.

JadelovesRob July 6th

6 months is reasonable I met my exs daughter 3 weeks into our relationship her mum was going to wait about 3 months then let her meet me just so she could see if her ex and I were serious and she seen it straight away that we were so she let us meet 3 weeks into it