Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Having A Difficult Time With Friends

DauntlessDuck February 29th, 2016

I just really need to get this off my chest, I know this is a way for me to cope with and overcome what I'm feeling.
I've been feeling irritated with my two close friends, or my "best" friends. I'm introverted, but I'm very outgoing. These two friends know I'm introverted but they perceive me as shy and timid. So, when I do something like run to the school playground or I go up to someone to talk to it takes them by surprise and they say "Well, what do you know! Elissa's not a hermit!"
Now, I used to live in a home of abuse and when I came out of it I was severely depressed, I had an eating disorder, and I had really bad anxiety. Now, I just have minor PTSD and moderate anxiety with minor self-image issues.
One of them makes fun of me when I flinch at sudden movements or when I make someone ask someone about something. He'll call me emotional one day and the next he'll call me emotionless. He's even been teasing me about my crush situation, asking "Are you over him yet?". This is high school, there's bound to be drama but this is irking me.I've told him to not tease me about stuff I can't help but he will still do it ocassionally.
Now, my other best friend has really helped me with a lot, but I'm at the point where "I feel smothered". She can be encouraging sometimes but I always feel depressed or moody around her. I'm an optimist but she's more of a pessimist.

Now, the 2nd part of my story. The guy I like and his relation to all this. I knew him first before these two friends. He is actually one of the reasons that helped me overcome my past. Even when I was struggling, he would go out of his way to make sure I was alright and tell me "Good job!". He became one of the first people I trusted and felt safe around. I had my first conversation without hiding behind my hair and stuttering over my words because of him. 5 months later, I developed a crush on him. It's been a year and a half since I have had a crush on him (my two friends think it's pathetic). My crush and I have gotten a lot closer and he has helped me overcome a lot of things, more than my two best friends have. Now, recently there was a work party at my mom's job (which my crush works at) and they all went bowling. I got to go. I don't like bowling but that experience made me love it. I actually bowled a 100. My crush basically bragged to all of our other friends about my score (which I didn't even know he knew considering he was on a different alley 3 rows down). It made me pretty happy to see how proud he was, but when I told my 2 best friends... they laughed it off.
A month ago I finally told my crush I liked him. I don't know his response because I walked away right after I told him, BUT! I did see a smile. He and I are still close, it's not awkward. I just kind of wish he would say something but I'm patient.
Now, what does that have to do with my 2 friends? They're not that supportive. They think it's silly. One is in a serious relationship and the other has had rocky relationships. One thinks I should quit trying and the other doesn't care to hear about it yet tells me all about her crush. They get me so confused.

Out of all this, this is my conclusion. My hands don't shake around my crush. I don't feel nervous to speak my mind around him, I don't feel like throwing up. I don't get scared when he touches me on my arms or back. But, with my two friends I shake. I dread speaking my mind. I want to run away when I'm with them. It freaks me out when my male friend accidentally touches me and I don't really let my female friend give me hugs.
With all my other casual friends I'm not really like this. It's just something about those two friends.
And my final conclusion: I really do like this guy. I haven't felt this safe and happy in years than I do with him. I'm not going to let those two friends bring me down.

Sorry about the length. I feel a lot more confident in my choice however.

HarleyTrinn February 29th, 2016

@DauntlessDuck I think that you made a good decision, going with the famous phrase, "the ones who mind don't matter and the ones who matter don't mind."

Lanx February 29th, 2016

@DauntlessDuck your progress is fantastic! If your friends aren't the type of people you feel safe and supported around, and your crush is, then it's my opinion that you need more people like your crush in your life! You're doing great, don't let the negativity of some outweigh the positivity you have going for you.

adri1119 March 8th, 2016

Ok so I'm kinda new at this so I'm just gonna put it down.

My so called friend Maria and I were really close I told her mostly everything. I knew her for the past 3 years so I was comfortable with trusting and opening up to her, which isn't easy for me. One day I decided to do something with my hair, so i flat-ironed it. She knew I'm very insecure about my appearance, and yet she went and told most of my friends that I was ugly and she didn't know if she wanted to stay friends with me because of it. Maria also told my crush that I liked him , and when she was telling my friends I was ugly she also said that she hoped that he would say I was ugly. When I found out she was saying stuff about me I was extremely hurt and pissed off, so I texted her and we kept going back and forth. She even admitted to being my fake friend and that she didn't care and was being very vain and rude. So my other close friend Sofia kept trying to fix things up between Maria and I, but I told her I don't want or need a friend like Maria. Eventually Sofia and I stopped texting and now I don't know if were friends anymore, But on top of all this one of my family members died and it's the first death I'm dealing with so I really needed the support of my friends. They said they would do anything to save our friendship yet here we are. So I really don't know what to do.