Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

OneErased Reading Motivation and Accountability

OneErased May 3rd

On my quest to try read books more consistently - it being good for my brain issues - I'm trying different things to motivate myself. Someone suggested I post my goals and the books I'm reading on a thread, to make it a bit more public and more official feeling. So, here I am. 

This thread is mainly for me to post goals and books, and share my journey through it. I don't mind comments either, if someone's read or reading the same books and wants to talk about them, or just is curious about the books. 

OneErased OP May 3rd

Book: Vankileirihelvetti Dragsvik by Sture Lindholm
Goal: Read by the end of May (~15 pages/day)

My journey here starts with a challenging one... It's a historical nonfiction book about one of the largest prison camps in Finland in 1918, so it touches the topic of the Finnish Civil War... Historical books are more complicated for me, but 15 pages a day doesn't sound too much at least. Not the most positive of topics so won't go to detail about it all, but it does sound interesting from the description. 

vankileirihelvettidragsvik-1_1714770529.jpg

OneErased OP May 10th

Well, I'm already halfway through the book so guess that 15 pages a day has been exceeded quite a bit... It's a slow read, as historical books tend to be. Names, eras, places, all kinds of little details I don't remember, and too much to really write everything in my notes. I doubt I've actually digested or understood most of it thus far, honestly. 

But, to my surprise, it's actually been really interesting so far. I haven't been frustrated with it once, as usually happens with books I don't understand, so maybe there's still hope for me when it comes to nonfiction and historical literature. It's also been a reminder of how little war makes sense to me. All the cruelty human beings are capable of. Or how ppl can close their eyes from what's happening to the ppl around them. So, lots of feelings going around with this book, I'd say. Still half to go, but will most likely finish it early. 

OneErased OP May 12th

Just finished the book so that was really early now... It was an interesting read and showed a whole new side of a country I don't know that well anyway. But, at the same time, I'm glad to get back to fiction novels... nonfiction and historical books are just a lot of information and I think I got a headache throughout this book. Still worth the read, and I would be willing for more nonfiction and historical books in the future. 

mytwistedsoul May 13th

@OneErased Congratulations! Bet there was a sigh of relief when you finished it. I hope you took a moment to celebrate too - because you made a goal and you reached it - before the end of the month too! 

calmMango9611 May 13th

@OneErased I am really, really, really, really proud of you, my friend.

i-am-proud-of-you-proud-of-you.gif

Em777111 May 16th

Well done!!! 🎉📚

mytwistedsoul May 4th

@OneErased Hey! Just wanted to take a moment to say that I'm proud of you for doing this Erased. I hope it goes well! 

MistyMagic May 10th

@OneErased Yes a big Well Done! from me too! Just popping in here to say hello and to be amazed that you are reading so much! Do paper books help? Or do you use a screen?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

OneErased OP May 12th

@MistyMagic

Thanks. I do prefer paper books. I've tried audio books and reading on my screen, but it just doesn't work as well. Taking notes and using them while reading, guess I'm more used to that by hand and I'm a creature of habit. Would take a lot of work to change that habit. 

Tripleplay May 10th

Hey, buddy.

you don’t know me, but I do see you in the chat sometimes. Just wanted you to know that you can reach out and tag me if you ever need someone to vent to! 🙂

OneErased OP May 12th

@Tripleplay

Thanks, I appreciate that a lot. 

Tripleplay May 12th

@OneErased

of course! 🙂

mytwistedsoul May 11th

@OneErased Wow that's awesome! Cruising right a long with this book. I think it makes a big difference if the book is interesting because it keeps our interest

Totally agree with your thoughts on war and how cruel people can be. All the innocent people caught in between and people having to fight in something that isn't their choice 

OneErased OP May 12th

@mytwistedsoul

Having an interesting book definitely makes a difference. It was a difficult read with a lot of details, took me hours and hours a day to actually reached the amount of pages that I did. But just the fact it was interesting helped, and was a miracle I wasn't frustrated through it... War in general's just weird, and all the stuff that happens after them. 

Olive1Q82 May 12th

This is a great idea! 😊📚

OneErased OP May 12th

@Olive1Q82

Thank you, I'm glad to hear that. I was a bit hesitant of doing it, and the support's definitely been helpful. 

Olive1Q82 May 12th

Have you tried the Fable app? It’s a wonderful book community.

OneErased OP May 12th

I haven't, no. I'm not really good with communities so this seemed like a safe space to start from. But I'll definitely write that down, if I am ready one day, thanks for the recommendation. 

OneErased OP May 12th

Book: Ticktock
Author: Dean Koontz
Goal: Read by the end of May (~15 pages/day)

I'm glad to be back to novels again after the last book. This one's not long and is in English for once, so I'll most likely finish it before the end of the goal. I've had a lot of recommendations for Dean Koontz, and this particular book was recommended to me by someone here in cups; sorry but I've forgotten who it was. But I'm really interested on this one. 

ticktock_1715518093.PNG

Synopsis: When Tommy Phan discovers a mysterious rag doll on his doorstep one day, he's curious but tries to dismiss it. However, the thing seems ominously foreboding - a feeling borne out when he hears a sound from it that evening. When he picks up the doll, its heart actually appears to be beating. Then the threads of its eyes unravel, and a strange green eye appears - and blinks. 

Before long, Tommy is forced to flee an adversary that becomes larger, even more formidable and seemingly indestructible. He must use his journalist's skills to figure out not only exactly what this thing is and where it has come from, but more importantly why it has been sent after him. And he has just nine hours before the arrival of dawn to do so... 

mytwistedsoul May 13th

@OneErased Hey! :) I think I was the one lol! Oh man this book was awesome. I really hope you like it - it's ok of you don't I wont be offended or anything

OneErased OP May 13th

Thanks for letting me know, no idea how I wrote down where the recommendation came from, but not from who... lol Now I feel less bad about it. And I did read the first chapter last night (40 pages so def gonna finish this one early too...) and it's really intriguing from the start I have to say. Looking forward to continuing it already. 

mytwistedsoul May 14th

@OneErased Hey you are moving right along! I'm really proud of you! I know I enjoyed the book a lot too. It had really good characters. I'm glad it's keeping your interest 

OneErased OP May 15th

@mytwistedsoul

I'm 45% through it by now and the characters and the story definitely are interesting, it's def one of those books that keeps you thinking what's behind it all. 

mytwistedsoul May 16th

@OneErased You really are cruising along on this one!  Lol it does make you think about what's behind it all. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. It's always been one of my favorites 😊 

sadcat13 May 16th

@OneErased that's such an interesting book, never trust a random out of context doll 😅

amiablePeace77 May 17th

@OneErased

Sounds like a really interesting book! Thanks for sharing some of the contents with us!

OneErased OP May 18th

Just finished reading the book and it was intriguing through and through. Fun to read all the way to the end. The reasons and such were refreshingly simple and down to earth, in certain ways, which was a nice touch. Definitely recommend this one. There's a monster and all, but the focus is mostly on the characters and the monster scenes are mostly just thrilling in ways, so the scare factor isn't as bad as it could be. Definitely will look up more of Koontz's books. 

bluedark1606 May 15th

@OneErased

wow what an amazing idea, i liked ur way in telling the story by the way, best wishes

OneErased OP May 18th

Goal #3

Author: Bram Stoker
Book: Dracula
Goal: May 31st (~23 pages/day) 

Heading to the classics now... I've never actually read Dracula, think I've seen some movies here and there. It's a tight goal this time around, taken there's plenty of pages and the font is small, so 23 pages a day could be a bit much. But, taken the goals this far have been real slack, might as well make a tighter one. Not all goals are made to be reached, that's a part of life. Gotta get used to that too. Nonetheless, am kinda interested of this one, even tho vampires aren't among my favs when it comes to horror. 

dracula_1716049826.jpg

SYNOPSIS

When Jonathan Harker visits Transylvania to help Count Dracula with the purchase of a London house, he makes a series of horrific discoveries about his client. Soon afterwards, various bizarre incidents unfold in England: an apparently unmanned ship is wrecked off the coast of Whitby; a young woman discovers strange puncture marks on her neck; and the inmate of a lunatic asylum raves about the 'Master' and his imminent arrival. 

In Dracula, Bram Stoker created one of the great masterpieces of the horror genre, brilliantly evoking a nightmare world of vampires and vampire hunters and also illuminating the dark corners of Victorian sexuality and desire. 

mytwistedsoul May 20th

@OneErased Man you are just flying through these books! You finished Tick Tock in record time! Tbh I've never read and Dracula books either. If it's good maybe I'll check it out too!

sadcat13 May 21st

@OneErased drakula is such a good book. Enjoy reading 😊

calmMango9611 May 21st

@OneErased I hope you enjoy the book.

OneErased OP May 25th

I'm 72% done with the book, with 87 pages left. I gotta say, even tho I do like the book, the story, the characters and everything, it's a bit heavy to read. I noticed that after reading quite a bit this morning, spending hours on it. The old language, the never ending dialogues, all that... Definitely good in short bursts, so I'll be sticking with the daily goal from here, but not really a page turner when you wanna spend hours on it. For me, that is, I know other ppl might be the opposite on that. But it is interesting and I look forward to continuing again tomorrow. 

MistyMagic May 25th

@OneErased Dracula is one of my favourite books! I love the old style gothic reading, and seeing how this original gave birth to all the other vampire books too. But yes it can get stifling sometimes waiting to get to the action.

Which character do you enjoy reading the most?

OneErased OP May 25th

@MistyMagic

I can definitely see why it would be your fav book cause it does have a lot of appeal to it. As for the stifling part, it's mostly my cognitive issues - the passages get a bit long and info-heavy sometimes and those are more difficult for me to follow with notes and all. Definitely not a bad thing they are that way, just a bit more of a struggle for me personally. 

There are a few characters that I like. I admit Renfield is the one that kinda interests me the most right now. He's weird in a lot of ways. As for fav character, I do like Dr Seward and van Helsing. I found Seward's diary entries are kinda my favs throughout. 

MistyMagic May 26th

@OneErased I hope you don't mind me linking this here

World Dracula day!!! 

https://www.7cups.com/forum/hobbyzone/EventsAnnouncements_1349/WorldDraculaDay_329813/?post=3564598

OneErased OP May 26th

@MistyMagic

Yeah, I noticed the thread but thanks. 

OneErased OP May 27th

I decided to read this to the end in one go and think I'm getting a headache now... lol

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was a lot better than I expected it to be honestly, vampires and all. Granted, for a good book it was really heavy and difficult for me to read, with all my issues. But I'm glad I did finally read it. And thanks to my wikipedia of a partner I learned that there are some even older vampire stories out there, the oldest in his knowledge being a short story The Vampyre by John William Polidori. I am kinda curious of checking some of that up too at some point. Not now tho, I'm kinda glad I'm done with this book and will happily take a break from vampires for a while. 

I'll pick the next one when I get home tonight. I was a bit early from my goal again, tho closer to it this time. Might slow down once I start reorganizing my life and all, but we'll see. 

MistyMagic May 27th

@OneErased Well done!! 10/10

Do you have access to a library? How do you choose your books?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

OneErased OP May 27th

@MistyMagic

My partner reads a lot and has a collection of like over 200 books. Right now I'm kinda reading through them. He used to pick then for me, but to make it easier for both we kinda made this wheel that gives me a random author. So I just spin it and pick the next book I haven't read from that author. Dracula was the first I picked this way.