Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Book Reading/Discussion: House Rules

ReadBooks7 May 4th, 2023

Hi everyone! I'm writing to see if anyone is interested in reading the book House Rules by Jodi Picoult and then having a discussion about it via this thread?

@adventurousBranch3786

ReadBooks7 OP July 12th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 yes, his intentions were really good.

ReadBooks7 OP July 13th, 2023

Hi everyone! I have one more question from the discussion guide in the book to share.

This is definitely a ***Spoiler Alert*** because it discusses the main plotline of the book, so please stop reading soon if you have not yet completed it and want to participate in the discussion later.

After this question, we can discuss the book a bit more generally if anyone is interested. I am also curious to see if anyone has any suggestions for a next book to read, if anyone would like to do a third book read/discussion (the first two being The Firm by John Grisham and House Rules by Jodi Picoult, our current book).

I have really enjoyed discussing this with everyone! Thank you!

*Spoiler Alert*

"How do you feel about Jacob's initial decision to cover up Jess's death and falsely implicate Mark Maguire? Do you think he was fully aware of the consequences of his actions from the beginning? If not, is there a point in the novel where he begins to realize the enormity of what he's done?"

adventurousBranch3786 July 13th, 2023

@ReadBooks7. I had forgotten about that. I didn’t like that he did that. I was glad that they quickly ruled out her boyfriend as a suspect. To me it didn’t seem like he was aware of the consequences of his actions. As far as I remember it didn’t seem like he realized the enormity of what he did. I would be interested to hear if someone else remembers differently.

I saw a new book written by Jody Picoult with another writer called Mad Honey. I am interested in reading it.

ReadBooks7 OP July 13th, 2023

@adventurousBranch3786 I think that Jacob thought that he was doing the right thing for two reasons. 1. I think his main objective was to protect his brother, so everything else came second. 2. I think he thought that Jess's boyfriend deserved to take responsibility for what happened because of the way he treated her/hurt her.

Neither makes what he did okay, and I definitely do not agree with it. I do think that he probably thought he was doing the right thing, though. I think his logic took him to the conclusion that, her boyfriend hurt Jess a lot and repeatedly, and therefore he should be punished.

I actually have Mad Honey! If you would like to read that next, I am definitely game! I can make a new post if you like and see if anyone else is interested. 😊I buy and save books for when I have time, and I just doublechecked to make sure I have it, and I do!

ReadBooks7 OP May 10th, 2023

@Maya3451 great, thank you! I'm thinking about waiting just a couple of days longer to see if anyone else wants to join, and then we can officially start reading πŸ“š πŸ™‚of course, anyone can begin at any time. I look forward to reading and discussing!

Cancun June 7th, 2023

@ReadBooks7

Thank you. All of us neighbors are looking out for each other. One bad apple can spoil this bunch. Fortunately we're watermelons. Lol πŸ€—β€οΈπŸ§‘πŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ€—

ReadBooks7 OP June 7th, 2023

@Cancun I love that πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚I'm a watermelon, tooπŸ™‚πŸ™‚