Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

"But, What Are You?"

SensitiveArtsySoul December 21st, 2017

The question that I dread getting asked the most is "What are you?" As if I look like an alien or something. I'm going to make business cards describing my ethnicity to others just so I don't have to explain it. lol. I just had to get that off of my mind. Can anyone else relate?

80 January 29th, 2018

@SensitiveArtsySoul

Ugh, I hate that. I'm Canadian but both of my parents are Iranian. Whenever I'm asked where I'm from, I usually just reply with "Canada". When they continue to ask, this time being more specific and asking where I was born, I simply say "Canada". After that, most just give up but the few who continue by then learn to ask something like "What are your origins?" And I then say "Iran"

People tell me that it's annoying when I do that but it's also really annoying being asked where I'm from by everyone I meet. I just don't find it such a big deal.

SensitiveArtsySoul OP February 1st, 2018

@80 Yeah, that sounds super frustrating. I wonder why it matters so much to others about where you're from and what your ethnicity is. If you were from Canada then you're Canadian. I think they ask because you probably look different from others. I know people ask me what I am because I don't look like everyone else.

caringShoulder14 January 29th, 2018

i get this question. even though my answer is simple, im black and im white, people always assume im something im not. i've had people speak to me in spanish and when i dont respond they ask what i am

Pleiades20 November 13th, 2018

@SensitiveArtsySoul

I got that a lot in high school/college. Now people sort of frame it as a question about my name, because I have a pretty stereotypically Indian name but my mom is white so I have very pale skin. Being mixed is kind of a weird in-between world because most people want to know what I am and I'm not even sure I know--like, I'm genetically 50% Asian but I look very white, so it feels weird to call myself a person of color.