Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

#OscarsSoWhite & Why BET Exists

CatPlum24 January 23rd, 2016

Theres so much outrage over the fact that no actor of color (black, asian, latino, etc) has been nominated for an Academy Award for Acting this year.

A lot of reasons I am hearing from the ignorant is because "Blacks segregate themselves by keeping a 'Blacks-only TV Channel - BET"

*SCREECHING HALT*

Umm....if BET didnt exist, the extent of non-whites on tv would still be less than half of what is out there. Count the number of talked about and loved tv shows. Now count the ones that STAR a person who is not-white. (not counting sassy side-kicks that are there just for laughs and have no characterization)

BET was created when I was a little girl - back when the only "coloreds" on tv were Oprah Winfrey, men in major sports, and servants. I didnt have a barbie - I had a Pocahantas one, but I knew I wasnt her, my hair didnt look like that (LOL) - so I played with animals instead. Anything to feel less alone and hidden away like the girl I looked like from A Little Princess . The Spice Girls were revolutionary to me as a kid - there was a brown woman with curly hair for god sakes! OMG! MIND BLOWN!

Things are changing, yes, but the reason things like BET exist is so African-americans can have representation on TV and in films of their own. Black people werent written into classic films as major players. I still remember the joy I felt when I saw Samuel L Jackson in 'Jurassic Park'! "Wow! He doesnt play sports! Hes smart and nerdy like me!"

I never watched that BET channel, the content doesnt really suit my style (I prefer Lord of the RIngs/Game of Thrones stuff) But it still matters to me that I can see Blacks on tv beyond the typical roles of: Gangster, loud sassy woman, prositute, pimp, soul singer, hoodlum

I've never seen a young lady on tv like me. We geeks/punks are left out like we dont exist. Maybe thats why I loved the Hunger Games series - because the character Beatty was a nerdy black man (I wish it were a woman, but thats another issue)

And dont even get me started on the representation of other races - all unfairness makes me angry - but I can only speak for my experience, I dont want to pretend to know all about the issues of others.

Im glad things have progressed, but I'd like to exist in a world where Award winning films can show someone like me in them - not a slave woman, but a regular middle-class woman of color who isnt there just for sex with giant boobs and a giant butt. Where are the plain blacks? The church-going blacks? One show about a black family is cute, but why do I only get one source of representation, and then get pushed to the side or used to fill a "quota" as a side kick :(

Sorry this was all over the place, I just wanted to get out some of my feelings about everything Ive been seeing lately that has started to hit me hard.

JBlue January 23rd, 2016

You might appreciate this story from Neil de Grasse Tyson about his experience with representation of black people in the media. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQLtPWPqsjA

It is 1989, I have never before in my life, (and I believe to this day - that was the first such occasion ever), I have seen an interview with a black person on television, for expertise that had nothing to do with being black.

Dumbo January 24th, 2016

But the thing about the shows and movies that have a token black character, have you ever noticed the role that they play? It is always a racial stereotype and never a positive one. I wonder if people understand the effect of that.. the flow on effect. People perceive that to be reality..

The judgment in this world is heart wrenching for those of us that fall victim to it.

TheMad February 7th, 2016

Yes omg I am so very heartbroken over the people who don't understand. And yes I totally feel you on the lack of variety of characters black actors and actresses people play. It be nice to have a fantasy movie where the main character is black, and not some drama where the black woman gets abused by her man.

CatPlum24 OP February 7th, 2016

@TheMad

Or to even show regular black people like myself - middle class, educated, normal people.

Im a woman, I like sci-fi, math, cats, drawing, makeup, have never been on welfare, and I just happen to have a natural tan.

WHERES MY CHARACTER?! WHERES MY STORY?!

theres more than just 5 types of black people - its time for stories to reflect reality!

Show the church ladies, the pastors, the chefs, the restauranteurs, the scholars, etc!!!!!

I can say with 100% certainty that there are PLENTY of non-hood black people on this earth - we arent a rarity, and should be included!

TheMad February 11th, 2016

@CatPlum24

Exactly! And I think the reasoning behind this is the lack of black directors/producers/screenwriters. So we can see different types of stories with african-amercians. And not the same stuff we seeing. I mean even alot of us african-amercians are even complaining about these movies. So that should say alot. ALOT OF US DO NOT IDENTIFY WITH THIS.

CatPlum24 OP February 12th, 2016

@TheMad

Its not just producers and directors - its the casting, its the promotions, its where the money for the films come from, the distributors, the artist who create the DVD box set covers....

Theres sooo much that goes into making a film thats wrong from the jump. And even if there were black screenwriters - who will buy the script? Or will they purchase the story but make major changes to the script? Will the writer even get a meeting?

The Black creators are not hired on the same par as the white creators. Theres a problem from the top to the bottom. Especially when you add in the self-hating Black producers who DO exist already in the film and entertainment business (I worked with a few on a film I cant name here for obv reasons)

THE WHOLE DAMN SYSTEM IS WRONGGGGGGGGGGG

Its just unfair :(

Oh well, I guess its just time and waiting and watching the fair complected in Tyler Perry movies until then *le sigh*

TheMad February 13th, 2016

@CatPlum24

Oh wow sad well then the only solution to this is to spark some kind of movement, to wake the entertainment business up and become aware of this.

March 22nd, 2017

@CatPlum24 I totally agree with you, I wish more colored people had more oppurtunties and recongition as much as whites or other races still these days