Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

bpd and stress management?

Luca222 March 28th, 2021

stress management has always been one of the hardest things for me with bpd. i can't figure out how to cope for the life of me, i get so overwhelmed with so many emotions i can't do anything anymore. my self destruction comes back swinging an i just feel like im drowning. i have finals now and it's the horror, i don't know what to do. if any of you have tips on how to cope or become a bit more productive id be incredibly grateful.

loyalChestnut1759 March 28th, 2021

This is exactly how I feel right now too...I don't know the answer..I try to exercise and be mindful and light candles and shit but it is so hard and my brain won't stop!!!!

Luca222 OP March 28th, 2021

@loyalChestnut1759

Right?? I do all the stuff they tell you to do in dbt, but i can barely manage that and it's so exhausting.

loyalChestnut1759 March 28th, 2021

I find it's wayyyy worse when I'm pms-ing... Do you? I can get really disregulated 😬 I just try REALLY hard not to make things worse. Getting up and cleaning seems to help the most. I try different music, different seltzers, I just feel like it's always a constant jumble of what's wrong in my life on fast repeat and I still haven't figured out how to stop that. I'm thinking of doing dbt again

Luca222 OP March 28th, 2021

@loyalChestnut1759

Yeah pms-ing is always a shit show, i have one bad day and my bpd brain convinces itself that everything is falling apart again and that my life had no meaning. I try to make to do lists and do some chores every day so i at least do something, even if it's not what i should be doing. Having a struktured day can help a lot.

loyalChestnut1759 March 29th, 2021

Structure is helpful...I just find there is so much to do... Blah. I did a lot today... Tomorrow will be better! I was reminded of the turning your mind in another post and I had forgotten about that skill I often ruminate on things and spiral, turning the mind has been super helpful for me today! Hugs

Sher217 March 31st, 2021

@Luca222 & @loyalchestnut1759

I can relate to what you both are describing.

I think one of you mentioned music. That's what works for me. And it helps rather quickly too. I keep my music on my phone, so with a pair of ear buds, I can do this anywhere. I made a special playlist of songs for when I get all twisted and can't deal. The first few songs are power house songs that have a pounding beat (this cuts through the clutter of my brain noise and focuses me on the rhythm). The next few songs are ones that are upbeat and fun (the kind that you would roll the windows down and sing way out loud, lol, but you don't have to sing, just listen).

By this time, I'm usually more calm, clear heard and in a positive mood. The wrap up song or 2 are ones that inspire me (one that I like is Carrie Underwood's Champion). So within a few minutes, I'm ready to tackle whatever is in front of me at the moment. The good part is that I can do this as often as I need to, in order to stay calm, positive and focused.

I hope this share may be helpful to you.

Best wishes

loyalChestnut1759 March 31st, 2021

Thank you! Hugs!

StarlitSky4762 April 1st, 2021

@loyalChestnut1759 @Luca222
One of the most difficult aspects of dealing with mental illness for many people is stress management.
You are being flooded with painful emotions that you are unable to control. One of the things that can be helpful to cope with stress is Mindfulness, which is talked about a lot in DBT. Mindfulness is simply non-judgmental awareness of the present moment.

Here is a list of ideas for practicing observing

Try to describe each sensory experience in as much detail as possible, as though you were writing a book.
If you are describing an object... describe the color, texture, temperature, shape and structure of each object, one at a time.
If you are describing something you're doing, try to describe it in detail like
"I am walking on the carpet, which is blue. I am walking towards the door to the kitchen."
"I am walking on the street. It is partly cloudy today. I am carrying a notebook for my math class."
"I am walking the glass cup. I feel the warm water pour over my hands and make a splashing sound as it hits the bottom of the sink."

Also, here is a list of ideas for self-soothing using your 5 senses.

I hope this helps

Luca222 OP April 1st, 2021

@StarlitSky4762

thank you! three dbt groups and i still totally forgot mindfulness even existed, guess my brain was really filled to the brim. i will definitely try to do some mindfulness exercises before studying and maybe incorporate yoga into my daily routine BC i find that to be really soothing.

StarlitSky4762 April 3rd, 2021

@Luca222 I'm happy you found this helpful. <3

FirstLight4762 April 4th, 2021

@Starlitsky4762 gives wonderful tips! I can understand that you forget the skills. It's a struggle to make it a habit, but practicing the skills should feel innate to you after a while

StarlitSky4762 April 5th, 2021

@FirstLight4762 Aww thank you