Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

(Trigger) When Self-Injury Becomes an Addiction

RavenousSoul July 23rd, 2015

I'm sure we've all heard how self-injury can become addictive. It becomes something as the drug of choice for some of us... myself included. I've cut for many reasons; emotional turmoil, dissociative states, and distressing thought patterns.

But more and more often, I've been finding that I sometimes cut because I need a fix. I need it, I need it psychologically and somewhat physically.

Self-injury is a psychological addiction. That should make it easier to quit. But I've tried so many of the techniques that people suggest. It's not as easy as it should be. There's nothing else that feels like it, and that's the issue.

It's by no means impossible to quit though. It's difficult, but with patience it can be done. I lack patience, however.

Kenziiee July 23rd, 2015

I quit cutting after 9 years, maybe I could give you some tips?

dreamforward July 23rd, 2015

that would really help me too

that would help me as well

dreamforward July 23rd, 2015

i understand the needing a fix feeling? sometimes I'm not stressed but i realized that it's been too long, i will cut. like i am only upset over how long it has been?? or it just becomes more of a casual part of life.

Helena97 February 15th, 2017

@dreamforward Thanks for being so honest. I often feel the same way, self-harm being a casual part of life. And I also often harm myself just because "it's been a while". I don't know why, maybe I want to make sure I still can, or the other scars have become "too old"... I feel quite ashamed of these reasons.

Lee July 24th, 2015

@RavenousSoul

Thank you so much for sharing your struggle with us. I know it's hard. As a self-harmer in remission, I can totally understand.

I found that self-harming was a release for emotional tension, and that I had to find other outlets to get that "release". It took time but it worked.

All the best.

Lee.

MissSparkles69 July 24th, 2015

A fix for stopping cutting is thinking about others instead of yourself. And yes it does effect others. Friends, family, and maybe people in your future. People don't really understand the concept and a lot of people never will.

claire34 July 26th, 2015

Hi my sister severely self harms how dshould I react when she tells me that she has cut? I really need advice on this as all I feel is angry

RavenousSoul OP July 28th, 2015

It's probably extremely difficult not to feel angry about your sister's self-harm. It's scary, and your anger is generated by your love and concern for her. However, reacting in anger will not aid in getting her help, and could create a lot of tension in your relationship. This is a coping mechanism for her, and it's not easy to just drop it. The best start is to ask her why she does it and try to understand without passing quick judgement. Then you can ask her to try and come see you/talk to you if she's thinking of self-harming, and maybe she'll be able to talk out her thoughts and emotions rather than engaging in the activity. If necessary, which it may very well be, it may be necessary to seek some form of professional help for her, and this should be discussed with her. Lastly, do find or have someone you can discuss your feelings with. Your emotional well-being is important as well.

RileyKaydn August 20th, 2015

I can totally relate to self harming becoming like something you need, like if you haven't in a while (whatever that means for you) you crave it.

Those feelings are very hard to ignore. i have been fighting them for 7 months, which is the longest i have gone. I feel like i want to just give into the urges. The thing that has kept me from giving in is that my role as babysitter for my parents foster child would be comprimised if i gave in because i slide back into it so easily and it is not pretty.

TheLPSoldier April 26th, 2016

I've been trying to stop cutting for several months now...it's really hard for me. I've been a cutter for three years, and trying to stop after so long is difficult for me to really grasp. I've had numerous relapses before finally getting rid of my razor completely, and anything else sharp. it's a bit easier with all of that gone, but every so often i still get the urge to fins something, anything, that can draw just a little bit of blood... but i'm slowly getting better

I just wish i could say the same thing about my binge-eating impulse, which is slowly getting worse

but that's a topic for a different post

InvaderStitch May 16th, 2016

Self-harm is an addiction and it's hard to overcome. I'm just shy of 2 months self-harm free but I've found that the thing that helps me stay away from self harm is that now the guilt/shame I feel outweighs the positive feelings I get from self-harming. I've done pros and cons for self-harm and it really put things in a different perspective for me.

diplomaticMelon9615 June 5th, 2016

First time poster. After lurking through I thought I'd share my experience, and that cutting is not the only form of self harm. I've been "clean" from cutting for over 4 years. Don't get me wrong, I have relapsed in those 4 years, but thinking about them makes staying clean harder. One day at a time you know?

Im 25 years old. I have three children. I stopped cutting when my oldest started asking questions.

My "new" problem is anorexia/B&P. I didn't realize I was anorexic. I just stopped feeling hungry after an attack without realizing it. It was my sub conscious. My husband knows my history, and knows what to do during my break downs. He also noticed I was not eating. I didn't do it on purpose. I just had our third child 3 months ago. He also noticed I would feel sick after eating dinner, which is our largest meal of the day. Again I didn't notice. Self harm comes in so many ways, and some sub consciously. I'm currently not in therapy, or on meds. I do believe due to our disorder, we harm ourselves in ways we don't actively realize. If you are in recovery, please try to notice these red flags. I didn't myself, and if it wasn't for a loved one knowing, I would be slowly killing myself. As we all know when we feel great for long term periods it's fantastic, but when we don't it could be devastating. My husband has been in therapy to help him cope with my disorder, and even when we aren't actively wanting to die, it's still possible to do it subconsciosl

starryHope67 January 28th, 2017

I have been cutting on and off for years. Since I was 12 or 13 years old. I am now 26. I can go a few months. But it is like an addiction. I still think about it. I have done it when I thought I wouldn't. It is the hardest thing to stop doing.

I have a son and this has made me not a great parent. I have been in a mother and baby unit because of it. I have to think about him and this 98% of the time will stop me.