Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Avoiding Personality Disorder

bubbleKitten6250 January 15th, 2022

hello, i was diagnosed with this in 2018 and i have never talked about this with anyone since i struggle opening up to people and this disorder is very unknown in general in comparation to others like borderline or bipolar personality disorder, it's not easy to find people or support communities for this disorder due to it's own nature, the persons that struggle with it often face loneliness and we feel quite lost for the lack of company and interest so i wanted to open a thread in here for people like me so we could keep each other company, listen and seek for help. thank you for reading and i'm sorry if i misspelled something or didn't express myself clearly, english is not my first language

RarelyCharlie January 15th, 2022

@bubbleKitten6250 I agree with you. Avoidant Personality Disorder is not very well known. Our forum for it is here: Avoidant Personality Disorder

Unfortunately, people do not post there very often. I hope some other people with this diagnosis will reply here to keep you company.

Charlie

bubbleKitten6250 OP January 15th, 2022

i didn't know there was a forum in here, thank you so much πŸ’—

RarelyCharlie January 15th, 2022

@bubbleKitten6250 It is difficult to find 😬

Charlie

QuietMagic January 15th, 2022

@bubbleKitten6250

I've moved this thread to that forum 😊

anonyLemon4233 January 15th, 2022

Would it be similar to attachment disorder?

These terms are driving me up the wall '

Severe depressive disorder with attachment disorder

You can ignore my post. I cannot delete it.

@anonyLemon4233

Hi, I'm able to delete things. 😊 Let me know if you'd like me to delete this post for you.

For what it's worth, other people have made the connection of there being some similarities or overlap between personality disorders and attachment styles.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11723873/
https://www.mentalhelp.net/personality-disorders/attachment-theory/

Thank you you are always a source of information! You don't need to delete. Thnx for link

@anonyLemon4233

No problem--and cool, I'll leave the post there then

bubbleKitten6250 OP January 15th, 2022

Yes, they have in common that they both belong to the same group, cluster c, which is characterized by anxious and fearful thinking or behavior. This cluster includes avoidant personality disorder, dependent personality disorder and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder

@bubbleKitten6250

Hi, thanks for creating this thread and I felt like you've expressed things perfectly. πŸ’œ I hope you're able to find people to connect with.

As Charlie and you both said, some of the PD subforums here aren't quite as active as others. If you have any suggestions for how to make it easier to find the AVPD forum, I'd definitely be open to ideas.

Just passing along some forum posts that might or might not be relevant:
https://www.7cups.com/forum/PersonalityDisordersSupport_81/ThoughtfulThursday_2294/ThoughtfulThursdayLoneliness_265174/
https://www.7cups.com/forum/PersonalityDisordersSupport_81/ThoughtfulThursday_2294/ThoughtfulThursdayFearofAbandonment_266833/

transurvivor January 6th, 2023

Thank you for sharing. I definitely struggle with this as well although not diagnosed. Sometimes the stresses of everyday life can feel overwhelming and leave me searching for an escape. I have never been suicidal but instead used addiction, video games, nature, and other forms of distractions to avoid negative or stressful emotions. I am taking baby steps to be more mindful and fill my time with positive activities that will enrich my life for more positive outcomes. I am not perfect but try to take one day at a time. Happy healing everyone.

spongbobishappy January 6th, 2023

@bubbleKitten6250

I am inviting you to the Sharing Circle chat room where you may share with other

members of 7Cups and receive support ! 😊

Ilona7 January 8th, 2023

@bubbleKitten6250 I also have this disorder. It can indeed be very lonely. Good idea to create this thread to exchange with others who have the same problem. I personally find it really helpful to read the experiences of others who understand what it is like to live with this personality disorder. I feel like it can be hard to post things online when you have this disorder as it can create so much anxiety (e.g., worrying that people may be judging your post negatively or that you said something wrong), which is probably why the avoidant personality disorder subforum isn't that active. But posting things anyway is a good exercise in overcoming these fears and decreasing social isolation.