Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Avoidant Personality Disorder

TinyTea November 12th, 2017

Honours Project by TinyTea.

Through this article, I hope to raise awareness on Avoidant Personality Disorder (AvPD), an often overlooked and serious personality disorder.

What is Avoidant Personality Disorder?

Avoidant Personality Disorder can be very difficult to endure, people are often:

1. Afraid talk to others.

2. Fearful of going outside.

3. Constantly worried about being judged.

4. Unable to trust even the closest of friends and family.

Avoidant Personality Disorder (AvPD) is a rare mental disorder which can lead to anxiety and depression. It is characterized by the avoidance of events, social interactions, situations involving others, and relationships due to the constant fear of rejection, criticism, or embarrassment. Often times, those diagnosed with AvPD do not want to be alone and would rather be closer to others, however cannot because of conflicting feelings and lack of trust. Humiliation and Rejection are constant fears in those that deal with AvPD and can be a daily struggle. These feelings can lead to lack of self-confidence and self-esteem which are damaging to ones health. Similarly, daily life for those that deal with AvPD can be extremely stressful as experiences such as making friends, working, and talking to others causes immense pain both emotionally and physically.

Since AvPD is rare, others believe that those that deal with this are either shy or unfriendly; this is usually not the case. This personality disorder gives them the constant fear of being rejected or criticised and is most definitely not their fault. In most cases, those that deal with this have trouble leaving their home for fear of being judged based on physical appearance, personality, speech, and overall character.

What is the difference between Avoidant Personality Disorder and Social Anxiety?

These two equally important mental health issues are often confused, but they are different things. Many of the symptoms that those that deal with AvPD will experience will be linked with social anxiety, however, these symptoms will be at a much more severe level in comparison to somebody with social anxiety. In AvPD, the fear of being judged is so great that there have been cases where they feel uncomfortable in their own home.

With that in mind, it isnt unusual for those that deal with AvPD to also have social anxiety. The prime difference, as mentioned before, is that AvPD is more severe and the extent with feelings of isolation are carried beyond that of social anxiety.

Though this should be diagnosed by a doctor, the symptoms are listed below!

Symptoms of Avoidant Personality Disorder

-Showing caution in every situation or often wary over little things.

-Striving for perfection in appearances, actions, and interactions.

-Feeling Sensitivity when receiving criticism, often followed by feelings of self destruction and sadness.

-Taking Risks and changes seem impossible due to the fear of failure.

-Struggling to go outside or leave a home environment.

-Making friends can be a challenge and a daily struggle.

-The constant fear of looking bad or hurting others.

-Apologising constantly for small or unnecessary things.

-Having trouble eating or drinking outside in public or in front of others.

-Thinking in all-or-nothing terms and thinking of the worst-case-scenario.

-Feeling scared or nervous for no apparent reason, especially outside in public spaces.

-Feeling inferior and sensitive to others is a common occurrence.

-Rapid breathing, sweating and overall panic which can occur both inside and outside home.

-Feeling paranoid about how people perceive you despite knowing they wont.

-Rarely speaking when with others and being shy or panicky around strangers.

What are the causes of Avoidant Personality Disorder?

The primary cause of Avoidant Personality Disorder is unknown, however, scientists have agreed that it can stem from four different aspects of a persons life. Of course, the reason for AvPD is a combination of at least two or more of these factors.

Genetics- It can be hereditary, the chances of having AvPD increase if there is a direct genetic link, such as a parent or close relative. Those with parents who have AvPD are twice as likely to have symptoms than if they had parents without it.

Environment- Environmental causes of AvPD could be the experiences faced while growing up, some of which may include abuse, bullying, emotional neglect, or other traumatic events. There are most definitely other causes as well, for example, one could have experienced rejection or depression, which are both contributing factors to AvPD.

How can Avoidant Personality Disorder be treated?

The two most common treatments are:

Psychotherapy- By participating in group therapy or talk therapy, this will allow for the person to be surrounded by support. This is often troubling for those that deal with AvPD because it causes stress and panic to be around others despite it being a place to help them.

Medication- This is not very effective in those that deal with AvPD as there is no official treatment for it, however, they can be prescribed antidepressants and medication for anxiety, always ask a doctor or trained professional.

What can you do to help those with Avoidant Personality Disorder?

-Encourage them to seek treatment.

-Always offer support by being kind and patient.

-Offer to take them somewhere safe or distracting.

-Compliment them, make them smile.

-Be understanding and empathetic, this isnt their fault.

-Never force them into social situations.

-Dont take their actions personally, they never want to hurt you.

Quick Facts!

~AvPd can start at a young age but can also develop well into adulthood.

~Only 2% of the general population deal with AvPD, making it a rarer and lesser known personality disorder, let alone mental health issue.

~Women are more likely to develop AvPD than men in the United States.

~50% of those that deal with it do not get married while the other 30% are married and 20% divorced.

~Research suggests that AvPD can stem from traumatic experiences such as crime or abuse.

~Having an anxiety disorder at a young age can increase the chances of one developing AvPD in later years.

References:

K. (2013, October 21). What is Avoidant Personality Disorder? AVPD symptoms and therapy - Mental Health with Kati Morton. Retrieved November 12, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQY6HgES9m0

Interesting avoidant personality disorder facts based on scientific articles. (n.d.). Retrieved November 12, 2017, from https://www.barendspsychology.com/interesting-avoidant-personality-disorder-facts

Avoidant Personality Disorder Symptoms. (2017, August 24). Retrieved November 12, 2017, from https://psychcentral.com/disorders/avoidant-personality-disorder-symptoms/

Avoidant Personality Disorder. (2017, April 19). Retrieved November 12, 2017, from https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/avoidant-personality-disorder

Kivi, R., & Leonard, M. (2017, April 19). Avoidant Personality Disorder. Retrieved November 12, 2017, from https://www.healthline.com/health/avoidant-personality-disorder

Grant, M. (2016, February 16). 7 Signs You Might Have Avoidant Personality Disorder. Retrieved November 12, 2017, from https://www.bustle.com/articles/142369-7-signs-you-might-have-avoidant-personality-disorder

Matsko, M. C., & W. (2017, November 11). How to Help Loved Ones with Avoidant Personality Disorder. Retrieved November 12, 2017, from https://www.wikihow.com/Help-Loved-Ones-with-Avoidant-Personality-Disorder

Helpful Resources:

Getting Help

A General Test

Online Forum

Self-Help Guide

Learn More!

Get Involved in the 7cups AvPD Community!

Now that weve looked at Avoidant Personality Disorder, please answer the following questions:

What does AvPD look like for you? Can you tell us a bit about your experience with it?

If you have Avoidant Personality Disorder, what support would you like to receive from others?

Have you found any coping mechanisms or techniques to overcome this?

Thank you all for reading!

-TinyTea

SarahTheCarer November 12th, 2017

@TinyTea thank you for this information! I knew about personality disorders but not this particular type, so I definitely learnt something new through your post :)

TinyTea OP November 12th, 2017

@SarahTheCarer

Thank you so much for reading! I really appreciate it. c:

SarahTheCarer November 12th, 2017

@TinyTea you are very welcome! Thank you for taking the time to write the post! yes

lostbrecon November 12th, 2017

@TinyTea thank you so much for this!

TinyTea OP November 13th, 2017

@lostbrecon

Thank you for reading! I'm glad it was useful! :D

pablohonee November 12th, 2017

@TinyTea thank you so much for making this! i don

@pablohonee

Aww thank you for reading! Raising awareness for this was my main goal! :3

Zizy November 12th, 2017

@TinyTea

So enlightening - I

@ZizyTheTurtle

Glad to have helped clarify this! Thanks for reading, I'm flattered c:

courageousYard2833 November 13th, 2017

@TinyTea I have avpd, had it most of my life, I suffer from neurotic shame,a complicated disorder of hating myself self condemnation. I'm learning to love myself and change my core beliefs of being worthless and a failure. I'm so glad for this thread, I'd love to contribute

@courageousYard2833 Thank you for sharing, it's extremely brave of you! I'm so sorry you're struggling, I understand how hard this must be for you. I'm so proud of you for making it so far and to learn to love yourself no matter what c: Keep going, you're doing amazing!

redplant0 November 13th, 2017

@TinyTea Thanks TinyTea. This has been informative.

@redplant0 My pleasure <3 And thank you for reading!

Zombii November 13th, 2017

@TinyTea

Hi! I've been diagnosed with avoiding peraonnality a years ago and sometimes i confuse it with my agoraphobia lol. But i found it hard to cope with on social situation but my technique is to talk to myself before going out to tell that it's alright. That i don't have to run away from strangers. That im in a safe place and things like that.

TinyTea OP November 15th, 2017

@Zombii Thank you for reading and sharing your experiences! The techniques you listed are absolutely well-thought out and seem like they could really help others as well, I understand what what you are going through is tough, and having a positive attitude towards it is an amazing step! Best of luck!

CastorDarkHeart November 13th, 2017

@TinyTea

Thanks for making this!

TinyTea OP November 14th, 2017

@CastorDarkHeart

My pleasure! Thank you for reading heart

CastorDarkHeart November 14th, 2017

@TinyTea

You're welcome, it was a good read!

admirableWings76 November 13th, 2017

@TinyTea Coming from one who has ADP, I can say that is something that if you have you definitely will know because everyday will feel like an ultimate struggle. I believe that ADP and anxiety tie in a lot with each other. I advise therapy and self care methods. I can't really help much because I just learned I have it a few months ago. It is something I am just beginning to manage and cope with. But just know that you are not alone.

@admirableWings76 You're definitely right! Thank you for reading. I know it can be a struggle but you are doing incredible. You really are telling the truth when you say that you are not alone heartI'm proud of you! Keep going, you can do this.

decisiveCar1126 November 14th, 2017

@TinyTea cause I'm an idiot and posted in the wrong thread I just wanted to make sure you get this:

Thank you so much for posting this ❤️ I have never been able to get a proper diagnosis because my parents don't believe in psychiatry, but your report really enlightened me to a lot of these tgings that I am feeling. I don't really have anyone to talk to, close friend or close family, as I have involuntarily distanced myself from my friends and fear my family as they have disregarded a majority of my feelings on personal subjects heavily.

I am currently not feeling as well as I usually am... I am goung through one of my depressive episodes, and I am feeling an avid sense of hopelessness and extreme loneliness currently and am pretty stressed out due to college applications coming up. Overall, I think this episode will last for the next two months :(

The last time I went out was with friends and I felt so alone even though I was with them. I don't know what to do about these feelings that I keep having... and I'm being to have many self-destructive thoughts and tendencies. My eating has always been like this, I can't eat in front of people for fear of judgement and criticism, and I barely eat because of this.

I really loved your project and I'm sorry for venting so long, I just don't have anyone to talk to and had a really bad night yesterday that I didn't even feel like waking up this morning. I love you so mich and continue to post great things like this ❤️

@decisiveCar1126 Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to share your story! I can see how much you've struggled and I understand how hard this is for you, you've come so far and I think that's what is important. Please know that you are not alone, and that we are all here to love and support you heartThings will look up soon, I know they will! I get how scary it can be to be alone, despite being part of a crowd, and struggling with self-image. Please understand that your feelings are valid and things are going to be okay, I truly am proud of you for sharing your experiences and going through something as difficult as this, you are worth it, and you are loved, please remember that. c:

fddragonfly18211 November 14th, 2017

@TinyTea what an informative and well written article. Kudos to you for bringing awareness to the disorder as it falls under the radar quite often unless one is familiar with the DSM-5.

And to everyone suffering from the disorder, youre not alone ❤️❤️

@fddragonfly18211

Thank you so much for reading! You are right, this often doesn't get noticed, one of the reasons I wrote it c:

Like you said, to anyone going through this, you are not alone!

Nemlee February 15th, 2018

@TinyTea in some cases there isn't a difference in severity between social anxiety and avoidant personality disorder. There's a lot of overlap.

I'd probably say the biggest difference is probably being unable or struggling to form meaningful relationships. I can spend a lot of time with someone (which admittedly isn't often, but when it does) and never make a connection. It'll look like shyness at first but I can be comfortable around that person eventually, but I'll hold myself back, I won't reveal anything important until they end up having a bit of a false view of my personality. I have trouble trusting anyone. At school people said they thought I was painfully shy but a happy bubbly girl around 'friends'... and then I dropped out suddenly at 15 because of a breakdown.

People with avoidant personality disorder tend to feel lonely and can spend a lot of time dreaming about these perfect relationships and friendships that they can never seem to make or feel with people. Alot do want friends and connections, they just have trouble with the process and even fear it.

I'd also say that social anxiety is a phobia. A personality disorder is damaging personality traits. Difficult to explain and I may not have explained it well, but that's been my experience after being diagnosed around 10 years ago.

TinyTea OP February 16th, 2018

@Nemlee

That's really interesting. I think there is a difference too and I love the points you brought up. Thank you so much for sharing <3

Mango3 November 12th, 2017

@TinyTea this was truly interesting to read now I have learned something new thank you for the post smiley

@sweetMango91 Thank you for your kind words! And no problem, I'm glad you learned something new!

ChristinaHussamiLCSW November 12th, 2017

@TinyTea, excellent information about a personality disorder that you don't hear about too very often. Well researched, and well-put together! Great job!

@mswcrmarie Thank you so much! One of the reasons I actually chose this topic for my honours project was because it is not often talked about!

Lassendil November 12th, 2017

This describes me.

@Lassendil Thank you for sharing, it is extremely strong of you heart

tallPapaya6491 November 12th, 2017

I felt for a very long time that I had avoidant personality disorder.

I don

@tallPapaya6491 That's okay! Thank you for contributing, I appreciate it c:

LifeIsMyCanvas November 12th, 2017

My brother has been diagnoised with this disorder when he was in his 20s and he hasn't left the house for 10yrs apart from once when he needed emergency medical treatment. The way you explained it was spot on to how my brother is. He previously had talk therapy and meds but refuses both now. I think the therapist pushed him too far and he hasnt left the house since. It's so bad that I have been with my husband 10 yrs and they have never met. The only people he can see is my mum and me. It's really sad and tears the family apart as we can't ever all be together. If anyone has this and has any ideas I can share with him that might help I'd love to know as we all feel pretty helpless to support him. It's really hard to know are we supporting him being protective or are we enabling him to create his own prison?

@LifeIsMyCanvas Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to write about such a close experience with this. I'm sure you're such a great and understanding sister, and that he appreciates and loves you so much, it's so amazing that you want to support him, I admire that! Take little steps, make little changes, things are going to get better, don't give up!

ImaginativeBond November 13th, 2017

@TinyTea --- Great post! I got a lot of insight on what this is. Thanks :)

@ImaginativeBond

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you liked it :D

WonderfulDarkness November 13th, 2017

@TinyTea I suffer from and am diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder. I also struggle with Bipolar Disorder, CPTSD and GAD, so those might also contribute to how the Avoidant Personality Disoder affects my life and my well-being. I have done CBT-therapy for AvPD but it didn't make a difference for me because I got pushed too hard and eventually dropped out of that kind of therapy.

There have been times in my life when I didn't leave my home for months on end, I think the longest period was 8 months. I was so dependent on my partner during those longer stretches of time, that I couldn't even take me out of the relationship. I do not have any friends in real life, I have not met my family in years. At a point it was so bad that I was physically struggling and eventually the doctor had to come to my home because I was unable to go to their office. These days I am able to do some simple things like going grocery shopping and making appointments. When my bipolar hypomania hits me, I might even be able to go out for a walk because I feel generally more positive about myself.

I can not eat out or in front of others. I do not look people in the eyes when I talk to them. I might seem confident when you walk past me in the streets, but inside I am panicking and screaming. Every laughter I hear, I think is about me. I hold my breath when I walk past someone because I am scared they will think I breathe weirdly or make disgusting sounds. I am totally unable to enjoy myself when being out of my home, out of my comfort zone. I often seem confident and well-spoken, and I am quite educated so I can blind people with those things, even though I am panicking. Going out for me always equals in days of exhaustion afterwards. Relationship-wise I have been quite lucky still, also sex has always been an issue for me (being naked in front of someone, oh gosh!) but I made it work.

What helps me is interaction online, that breaks my isolation. It is also a good way to slowly get to know people and to be able to trust someone. Writing helps as well, writing down my thoughts and feelings, and understanding myself better.

@WonderfulDarkness I am so proud of you for sharing your story, it's such a brave and incredible thing to do heartI can see how the many challenges you've faced can be really difficult to go through, and that's what makes you so incredible, you've made it so far! Having the support from others can go a long way and talking online definitely helps as well, I completely agree with you. Writing about your experiences is so important as it helps you see your feelings from different angles, you're definitely doing all the right things, you've got this! Be proud of your experiences, they'll help you learn and grow, everyday, things will become more clear. I admire all your efforts, they are all so important! c: