Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Wanted to share a tip

Osd123 October 14th, 2022

i have been struggling a lot with anger lately, and I actually came across this really good tip and trick to toning down anger when it’s too overwhelming or not needed, and though I didn’t find it through 7cups, I thought I’d share in case anyones going through the same: when you’re angry or upset with someone, imagine when they were little. Imagine your partner when they were 7 and they were crying because their father yelled at them about math homework, imagine when your mother was sitting on the curb waiting for her bus in 3rd grade, growing impatient and cold. Imagine all the things that brought them to this point, and find a way to rationalize that they are human too. We are all human, it’s only natural to get upset with on another on occasion, but try to think back to what’s hurt them as well.

Optimisticempath October 14th, 2022

@Osd123

nice way to see the other person as a human who's struggling too thanks for sharing this tip :)

Hope it is understandable that despite this also no kind of abuse should be tolerated , extreme anger still should never be normalized, it could be helped and supported with, but not tolerated always that could seem like an indirect way of encouraging it :)

many people suffer because they have to be the understanding one always and keep giving benefit of doubt to the other person or to keep being the "bigger person" always .... I've been there and want to assure anyone coming across this that it is ok to understand, rationalize and be calm but it is never ok to tolerate disrespectful behavior or any form of abuse by anyone <3 you do not deserve that at all

Osd123 OP October 18th, 2022

I completely agree, it’s not ok to let anger control your actions. Which I have struggled with in the past, a lot of my anger isn’t really anger but moreso any and every other emotion being projected as such. And it’s ok to feel, but trying to readjust yourself before acting is the way to go for sure. Thank you for clarifying! :)

Optimisticempath October 19th, 2022

@Osd123 very true, it is brave of you to acknowledge that your anger is more of the other emotions being projected in it and maybe the suppressed ones too? I get that really, it is hard to deal with it but I see you trying hard and want to tell you that I am so proud of you :)

calmMango9611 November 2nd, 2022

@Osd123 Thanks for sharing this tip, with us.