Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I inherited a baby

CallMeRachel4 June 28th, 2023

TW: death, adoption, orphans

Hi. So, my best friend died.

When she was pregnant, she found out she couldn't breastfeed, so I induced lactation and started to pump for the baby.

When he was 1 month old, she passed away. She was 20, 2 years younger than me. And yet, she left me 340k, an apartment and her baby. She didn't want him to be with anybody else. I guess it's because I was the one who supported her during pregnancy.

The grandmother of the child brang him to me only 3 days after with a pack of diapers. It was the most terrifying night of my life.

She brought his forniture and I painted the spare room in my house blue. I started actually breastfeeding and not sleeping at all. I would cry when he'd cry. I would ask myself why my friend would think I was fit for that. I doubted myself all the time.

It's been half-a-month.

I may not know exactly what I'm doing, but I'm doing my best. For him. For her.

bestEast2648 June 29th, 2023

Wow, you sound like an Earthly Angel. So glad you are his Mommy. Keep staying strong. It was meant for me to read your post. God will help you through this. Take care.

CallMeRachel4 OP June 30th, 2023

@bestEast2648 Amen! Thank you honey

Truth22 June 29th, 2023

@BabyBee18

First off, I'm sorry for your loss!

Second off, you're an amazing friend! There are not too many people I'd trust to take care of my babygirl in the event I were to pass on and the fact your friend trusted you so much to do that is so beautiful. Take it one day at a time, reach out for help when you need it.

Get with supportive people! Either here on 7 Cups or in your immediate circle. Parenting is hard but it's an amazing job even though some days it does not feel like it. I can't imagine how it feels to be grieving a loss and at the same time trying to manage a child. I think you're super brave.

@Truth22 I already hired a nanny and my family supports me a lot. I'm trying to reach for a support group in town, hoping they will respond. Thank you so much!

Gettingbettertoday June 29th, 2023

@BabyBee18

Didn't her family object to her giving her child to an outsider?

@Gettingbettertoday unfortunately no. Her pregnancy was disapproved by her relatives. They lost contact. The father married her but then committed suicide and left her money and the apartment. At the end it was just me and her