Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

*Trigger Warning* Cosmetic Treatments and Body Dysmorphic Disorder

theriverissinging November 9th, 2021

While many who struggle with Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) seek cosmetic procedures, only 2% of procedures actually reduced the severity of BDD. In a survey involving cosmetic surgeons, 65% reported treating people with BDD, yet only 1% of them resulted in BDD symptom improvement. 30% of the physicians believed that BDD was always a contraindication to surgery. (Source below)

Individuals with BDD might seek cosmetic treatments in order to reduce body dissatisfaction related to their appearance, and believe that changing their appearance with these treatments will resolve this (Mulkens et al., 2012).

The majority of people with BDD are not satisfied after the outcome of their chosen procedure. This can lead to a preoccupation with further surgery to try to get a better result, which in some cases will do more harm to a person’s appearance than good. Even when they are happy with the improvement to one area, the focus of their BDD can often move to another area of their appearance. The safety of these procedures varies.

Note: BDD is not to be misunderstood as Eating Disorder (while both can exist simultaneously), the treatment sought is not the same as Gender Affirming Treatments and that people with BDD may seek other forms of non-medical treatments as well.

The key message here is that BDD is a psychological or psychiatric condition and thus could use psychological and/or psychiatric treatment.

Is there anything you would like to say to someone struggling with BDD or yourselves?

Sources:

Lifespan. (2010, August 11). Does cosmetic surgery help body dysmorphic disorder?. ScienceDaily. Retrieved November 8, 2021.

Megan M. Kelly, Elizabeth R. Didie & Ashley S. Hart. (n.d.). Cosmetic Treatments and Body Dysmorphic Disorder?. International OCD Foundation. Retrieved November 8, 2021.

Body Dysmorphic Disorder Foundation. (n.d.). Cosmetic Surgery. Body Dysmorphic Disorder Foundation. Retrieved November 8, 2021.

Tagging @greenfrog3 @wonderfulRainbow817 @jessie06 @AMA101 @cheerfulIceCream @robynlouise

You may tag anyone you think would like to see this if you'd like!

Keep a look out for Discussions, Check Ins, Forum Posts, Games, Icebreakers, and more!

Subscribe to this post to hear about our latest events, or check out the Community Calendar!

Interested in following the Support Plus sub-community? Join our Tag List and become a subscriber of the sub-community here!

Want to join the Support Plus Leadership Team? Express your interest here! (This is not an application form, but a way to collect information so we can reach out to you accordingly ❤️).

For general feedback, about the sub-community, we're all ears.

For all other enquiries, feel free to message jovialButterfly6752.

Edited by jovialButterfly6752 to make minor formatting changes.

cheerfulIceCream November 9th, 2021

Very well put together!💜

Robynni November 9th, 2021

Wow, River, this is quite the post. Loving it!🖤 I don't understand a lot about it myself, so this was nice to read xo

IceCream4IceCream November 9th, 2021

Thank you so much for putting this super informative and thoughtful post together! You're the best @theriverissinging ❤️

amoOna97 November 9th, 2021

Thanks so much for spreading awareness on this and of course for spreading such an important message we all can take @theriverissinging 👏🏼💕

greenfrog3 November 9th, 2021

I cannot see the post, I will try on another system..

theriverissinging OP November 9th, 2021

@greenfrog3 😮 sure, let us know

greenfrog3 November 10th, 2021

@theriverissinging

I could see it in the web interface ..👍

lyricalAngel70 November 9th, 2021

Looking forward to it. ❤

Thank you so much!

Subscribed!

theriverissinging OP November 9th, 2021

@lyricalAngel70

Hi angel! I'm not sure what you mean.

If you're talking about the line that says: Subscribe to this post to hear about our latest events,

the underlined stuff is hyperlinked and that would the post where updates on events are posted.

If it's something else, let me know ❤️

Meandros November 10th, 2021

Thank you @theriverissinging, the post was very interesting and to the point. Adding the sources makes it quite a professional work. Congratulations.