Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Practice Teflon Mind!!

ASilentObserver August 11th, 2018

Today I would like to talk about Teflon Mind. A skill under DBT.

What is Teflon Mind?

Teflon is part of the "Observe" skill. It is helpful to prevent defensive and judgmental reactions and responses and emotional disturbances.

When you use Teflon Mind skill, you-

Notice happenings around you and not make an immediate reaction to it.

Alllow your mind to process your thoughts, emotions and sensory experiences in a clear way.

Allow yourself to pay attention on present moment and experience and not let past interrupt the present

Identify the thoughts and emotions inside you in a better and quick way.

Not reacting to the situation in a hurry and respond to the emotional experience in a constructive way.

Teflon Mind can be a very effective skill to help you practice mindfulness.

As Teflon is part of Observe skill of DBT, it focuses primarily on observation and how you respond to i

Image result for gif valentine heart

@303315 @adocker @adrjust1 @adventurousfan @Ady23 @amarifey @amicableBlackberry1972 @amiablePeace77 @AMusicalSilence @astray @AnActiveListener @AjanMalic @aifos1976 @asilentobserver @alfalfasproutdeux @ambitiouschestnut9158 @ambitiouscity3124 @artisaweapon @Asimov @badoinkitydoop @basty @blueocean @BillyWilson @babybenfin @bear228 @behindhazeleyes @beloved316 @BetterTogether101 @billywilson @blindfaith @BlueberryFriend @BlueMossWeaver27 @blueocean45 @borderinline @bouncySeal96 @brainybrainy @BridgetAileen @brilliantTurtle89 @BuddhistDracula @blueDiamond @brendenjensen @brilliomturtle89 @bluewolf1229 @benevolentOrange31 @bk20102kb @bottomofthelist @brightChestnut4066 @BrooklynM @busyemptymind @callforhelp @calmHero86 @caramelbunny @Catlover1993 @Char1otte @chayton @Chocolateandcakes @Claito @cloudySummer @compassionatelistener108 @cookeybear @courageousCake401 @CrissiArabela @courtmarievibes @CrismsonLime6525 @Cutelittlepie1 @Cyanapricot8399 @cyanWater7627 @DanaMH @deepblueCoconut000 @diplomaticShade2167 @Deeperblue @delightfulUnicorn38 @diplomaticconfucious @discreetSquare2053 @discreetOwl14 @elmira73 @enigmaforte @EnigmaForte @emilyLanes @EmOnTheGo @EmunahHere @epitium @equanimousCosmos @ErRoach @essdee @Evaparker02 @evie @Fairhouse @FreeSoul1417@fighter23 @fristo @frozenmermaid @gentlePeace76 @ghofrane @GhostInTheShellx @goldentown96 @gongoozlersoup19 @Gozzil @gracefuldeadlyswan @happydandan @happylove2611 @helpfulHuman4993 @helpfulBranch221 @Harleemoon @honestplane3797 @hopefulnatural @houserabbitsrule @HeckhoundBreaker5 @helpfullBranch221 @Hereyzzil @hopeless104 @humorouscamp915 @IcyLight @interactivec @InvisibleAngel92 @Itsybitsyspider91 @inventiveOrange1 @JayTheBird14 @Jonsi @joyoussun45 @JustMarije @JZack45 @keion @kindsoul10 @kirtokun0731@kevan @klemen @knowledge57 @Kodachrome73 @Joe2017 @Julian2703 @JustLikeMellie @JasmineWhite @Jenna0903 @joyoussun47 @JenSee @justconfuses87 @Kanzi @KatMae @KokoroHereForYou @kvo8 @KattPiper @Kumiko @ladibugca @LG22 @Lionellinu13 @lia345 @Learntolive @letspreadhappiness @LetsSpreadHappiness @LilaGrace @Lifeislove123 @lightforlife @lilynoelle @LilyLila @lightofhope89 @Lovejoy @leothelittlelioncub1 @longing4peace @maibock @marsmoon @melliontm @melliotm @Mellietronx @MISSMEGHAN @MistyMagic @mitch11 @motivationalhomegirl @Musicismyfriend @NancySV1 @nans17 @natg @navyFarm1407 @NevaehRose @niceLion789 @niceTangerine6642 @NoDramaBabyLlama @NotQuiteBlue @nourrirvotreame @obie2 @onwardforevenmore @oxfordshiregatsby @P4ND0R4 @pamharley003 @passionateCircle3866 @peacefulwarrior10 @penguinpower31 @peppermintlove @philispohicalShip9444 @piscesmoon @PiecesofYou @Pininin @PinkDaisy83 @PinkMallow @pinkpurpleblue15 @Pinnae @pizzalover1341 @politeAvocado7234 @politecare2971 @politelychaotic @princessofcurcus @probius @psalm139 @PurpleSnowflake2310 @politeskies6536 @PurpleNina @rachelq @Raindrops00 @raspberry985 @Raspberrybeach @raspberryLemon7321 @rationaltiger8083 @Ravenclaw7 @reliableWater8763 @Reokiome0928 @rezasophiea @RoninSelecta @rosesway @Rcusick12 @rumplesteeleskin @RynnTheBedouin @Sageypie @Saif1for1Resilience @sail46 @SaimaK @Samar27 @Santysan @SarilinaN @ScarletPear1945 @ScotchTape @seacastle @sealie @sendingyoulove @SensitiveApple @sensitiveShade5337 @SentientCozyTeacup @ShiningSalamander99 @Shriya546 @Shweta555 @shy @silverIceCream21 @silverWillow1625 @singblue @Sk1ttles @SkolSuper1976 @sleeplessinmanhattan @Softforesthsp77 @softPoetry23 @SonderandWonder @soulrestorer102 @soulsings @Spearstar @stillLavender24 @stillplanet @starhawkemystery @sujaypai @SunFern @summertimesamness @SunFlower @supportingearthangel @sweetmango91 @sweetMelody95 @sweetrosa1987 @ThePersonYouCanNeverKnow @TheRoseHeartz @TheSciKid @Tiggergirl @tisjme @TrinnitysLight81 @tygo @24x7Awesome @Understandinggirl1990 @unkindloving @uselesscookies @Vargasb @VickyP @victoriia @wildcat85 @Wawas @westvirginia @XxOgSpunBbygrl @yzzil @zeraphim

RideaRainbow August 11th, 2018

@ASilentObserver

Excellent post ..

RumpleSteeleSkin August 11th, 2018

@RideaRainbow

Hiya Ride good to see yousmiley

RideaRainbow August 11th, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin

Hey Rumple am always here laugh

Congratulations on your Mentorship.

@RideaRainbow

Thanks Ride and as always good to see you

@ASilentObserver

Thank you Silent for this check insmiley

Did you know elephants have a teflon brainsurpriseoh yes even I am pretty stubborn at times. Or I can choose to only see things a certain way, as then it brings on "false feelings" and then here goes the drama! Also I set myself up for failure and for my mental health to act up.

I also rob the situation-yes that sounds weird rightlaughWhat I mean by this is when we have ourselves in a 1 sided thinking pattern we lose out on the true facts, or true feelings. We only see 1 waysurpriseIll give an example :

Yesterday coming home from work, my springs in the front of my car broke-yes broke. I was seeing me lose my job, going broke, alot of money to repair, and then my anxiety was very high. I was thinking of "where am I gonna get the money to fix this now" Well after talking to a friend on the phone, we worked things out and I was calmer and could see things clearly.

And then I criedcryingheartI took away from this one sided thinking that I first need to control my reactions to situations I have no control over. Don't assume the worst on things. Don't right away go to the deep dark thinking. Also to get myself to sit and breathe.

kindSoul10 August 11th, 2018

Usually I do teflon mind technique most time. There are times like I feel people don't understand I have my limits too and don't give me the space I need to come back to my calm me and then I show reactions that doesn't exactly defuse the situation. I quickly realise it and explain what's happening with me. I feel guilty afterwards but I try to accept I can't always be the one who puts my feelings aside and react like an angel. It still makes me sad and I regret when it happens.

@kindSoul10

HIya Kind great to see yousmileyI do understand you on the people not really understanding or showing patience while having the chance to calm down and refocus ourselves before we can tackle the situationsadSometimes I feel that is not fair-but hey that is why we have to teach ourselves skills so we are prepared. I am glad tho that you try and share how you are feeling and why you need some time-good for youyesYes I too- think it is sad people sometimes don't give us that chance. And please practice on owning your own feelings that belong to you. Feeling guilty yes is valid but not for you to take in. That is on that other person. Hugs hun heart

kindSoul10 August 11th, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin hugs :)

Helgafy August 8th, 2023

@kindSoul10

Friend.

I think we have to train ourselves to say "no" sometimes. As a country has its boundaries, so do we.

amiablePeace77 August 11th, 2018

@ASilentObserver

Hi Obs, thanks for this interesting post. "Not reacting in a hurry" is something I find very important and I am still learning.

sweetrosa1987 August 11th, 2018

@ASilentObserver Nice post. smiley

SaimaK August 11th, 2018

@ASilentObserver Hi Obs! heart How are you doing today? I hope you are having a wonderful and mindful weekend so far! laugh This post was so informative for me as I was not aware of Teflon Mind before. Learning about it now, I see that this is a skill I certainly need to continue to develop and build. It certainly is an important skill to have! Thank you so much for sharing this with us all! smileyheart

August 12th, 2018

had that today

refused for my space to become violated by other peoples issues.

Teflon mind in smiley action

Flowingstreams January 2nd, 2020

@ASilentObserver

Thanks for your post! Inspiring and helpful!

NaturalEmpath August 7th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

Good analogy

NewYorker11 August 7th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

great informative post regarding teflon mind skills and how to begin developing these skills! having a teflon mind is related to not having too many thoughts, feelings and emotions weigh you down and stick to you simultaneously. developing teflon mind skills helps you to be better prepared for life and its unpredictabilities.

wristmarker81 August 7th, 2023

that is a good post

Fradiga August 7th, 2023

@ASilentObserver

Lily Tomlin had a point. If the skit is on Youtube, I wonder where she goes with that one.

A Teflon mind works like a shield and requires some practice.

mish3l August 7th, 2023

Thanks for the interesting information. It's definitely one of the things I need to work on.