Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mindfulness & DBT Skill - Observe

ASilentObserver January 17th, 2018

In our last post, we learned about, "What Is DBT And How Is It Related To Mindfulness?"

DBT taught us what to actually do to be mindful and how to do it. So, DBT covers "What" & "How" skills to practice mindfulness.

WHAT skills include "Observe", Describe" & "Participate" and they practiced one at a time. While, HOW skills cover "Non Judgment", "One Mindful", & "Effectively".

Under DBT, we practice mindfulness as observing, describing and participating and we practice them without any judgment, being mindful for one activity at a time which leads to effectiveness of mindfulness practice. So, we will be discussing every skill in subsequent posts and learn about them together.

Today, let's start with Observation. Observing is identifying or recognising our immediate sensory experiences. It covers what you see, sense, touch, hear, taste, smell without any labels or judgment. Generally, human minds are active to label every thing we do or think of, rather than just observing happenings or events around us. When you observing, you're allowing yourself experience what happening without any effort to change or stop it. So, that a brief introduction to observation as a skill for mindfulness.

Now lets see how we all can practice observations, Ready?? smiley

>> Focus and hear the sounds in the environment you are at present. Like, I am at workplace and I can hear, the strokes of keyboards on various workstations, the tick-tick sound of clock and my watch, some gigglings and talks out of my room, sound of horns, and so on. Just seat back for a minute and observe what you hearing.

>> Watch what happening around us. Like I am in my office and I can watch this screen where I am writing this post currently, my fingers, some opened tabs and so on.

>> While listening music, listen the lyrics and observe the words, beats, music. smiley

When we practice observation, it allows you to feel alive in this moment. Not regretting about past and not wondering about future. You experience the reality. The NOW.

And, it's time to say "Good morning my mind." Your mind awoke now. smiley

Simply, when we practice observation, you are likely to have a mindful mind and thoughts. Let's practice together!!

I would love to hear your thoughts on Observation. Share your lovely thoughts, opinions and ideas.

Also, share what you observing NOW.

Adding some amazing mates.

To add or remove your name, please submit this short form http://goo.gl/NQxyyb

@awesomerainbow @adocker @adventurousfan @Ady23 @amicableBlackberry1972 @AutumnLeigh @amiablePeace77 @AMusicalSilence @astray @AnActiveListener @AjanMalic @aifos1976 @agreeablekite4304 @asilentobserver @alfalfasproutdeux @ambitiouschestnut9158 @ambitiouscity3124 @basty @blueocean @BillyWilson @babybenfin @behindhazeleyes @beloved316 @BetterTogether101 @billywilson @blindfaith @BlueberryFriend @BlueMossWeaver27 @blueocean45 @borderinline @brainybrainy @BridgetAileen @brilliantTurtle89 @BuddhistDracula @blueDiamond @brilliomturtle89 @bluewolf1229 @benevolentOrange31 @bk20102kb @butterflycat @callforhelp @Char1otte @cloudySummer @Zayb4you14 @compassionatelistener108 @CrissiArabela @Claito @calmHero86 @courtmarievibes @Cyanapricot8399 @cyanWater7627 @diplomaticShade2167 @Deeperblue @discreetOwl14 @eeveeon @elmira73 @enigmaforte @EnigmaForte @emilyLanes @EmOnTheGo @EmunahHere @equanimousCosmos@Evaparker02 @essdee Fairhouse @FreeSoul1417@fighter23 @Gaara @GhostInTheShellx @gongoozlersoup19 @Gozzil @happydandan @helpfulHuman4993 @Harleemoon @HeckhoundBreaker5 @Hereyzzil @hopeless104 @IcyLight @InvisibleAngel92 @Itsybitsyspider91 @inventiveOrange1 @JayTheBird14 @joyoussun45 @JustMarije @KenMachine @kindsoul10 @kirtokun0731@kevan @klemen @knowledge57 @Kodachrome73 Joe2017 @JustLikeMellie @Jenna0903 @joyoussun47 @JenSee @Kanzi @KatMae @KokoroHereForYou @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn @kvo8 @KattPiper @Lionellinu13 @lia345 @Learntolive @LilaGrace @lightforlife @lilynoelle @LilyLila @lightofhope89 @Lovejoy @leothelittlelioncub1 @longing4peace @maibock @marsmoon @melliontm @Mellietronx @Mikey123 @Musicismyfriend @NoDramaBabyLlama @nourrirvotreame @obie2 @oxfordshiregatsby @passionateCircle3866 @passionatepeyton @peacefulwarrior10 @penguinpower31 @peppermintlove @phoenixAsh @PiecesofYou @Pininin @PinkMallow @pizzalover1341 @politeAvocado7234 @politelychaotic @princessofcurcus @probius @psalm139 @PurpleSnowflake2310 @Power @politeskies6536 @PurpleNina @rachelq @Ravenclaw7 @Reokiome0928 @RoninSelecta @rosesway @Rcusick12 @rumplesteeleskin @RynnTheBedouin @sailorelix @Saif1for1Resilience @Saltydog68 @ Samar27 @Santysan @SarilinaN @ScarletPear1945 @SensitiveApple @sensitiveShade5337 @ShiningSalamander99 @silverIceCream21 @silverWillow1625 @singblue @Sk1ttles @SkolSuper1976 @smileyPower @SofieSof @Softforesthsp77 @soulrestorer102 @soulsings @Spearstar @stillLavender24 @sujaypai @SunFern @summertimesamness @SunFlower @supportingearthangel @sweetmango91 @sweetMelody95 @ThePersonYouCanNeverKnow @TheRoseHeartz @TheSciKid @tjb28 @tisjme @TrinnitysLight81 @24x7Awesome @TwirlGirl90 @Understandinggirl1990 @victoriia @wildcat85 @Wawas @westvirginia @wizeakre @XxOgSpunBbygrl @yzzil @zeraphim

yzzil January 17th, 2018

@ASilentObserver. Hi there! I use Observe as a mainstay to my grounding. It is a Mindfulness skill I cannot live without.

ASilentObserver OP January 18th, 2018

@yzzil

Hey Yzzil, glad to see you today :), Good to hear that you practice it. You're absolutely right, observation is part of our life.

January 17th, 2018

Thank you, this was a good way to start my day. I practiced observing and was able to just let go and listen.

Still learning

ASilentObserver OP January 17th, 2018

@scarletPear1945

Hi Pear <3, good to hear your thoughts. Thank you for sharing with us. And lets learn and practice it together. :)

RumpleSteeleSkin January 17th, 2018

@ASilentObserver

haha Silent this was so good...then I came to the picture. Made me gigglesmileyThank you for making this thread on Mindfulness DBT Observe. I really like this one as that is just it.......OBSERVE. Nothing else to do. Many I have found have a hard time doing this skill cause they do or want to do more then just observe. And hey-that is so normal. We all do it-elephants too.

What Im observing now is, the sound of my turtles tanks filters running. The faint music my daughter left on so the birds don't get lonelyheart The bells on my dogs collars rattling as they play, Im observing my cat sitting on my left side next to my computer chair as she does every day begging for treats, Im hearing my tablet on with Netflix going-not really observing the movie-just a noise to me. Im observing feeling excitment as I learn to enjoy my new co-leader and knowing 2 brains is gonna be great. Im feeling some what "content" inside of myself.

Wow thank you Silent for this awesome postheart

ASilentObserver OP January 17th, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin

Great rumple. Thank you for being here today and sharing your lovely insights on Observe. I am glad you find the picture worth giggling. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Observing allow our minds to think and live in present and see whats happening around.

And, you are right about two brains. I got a name too

Rumple-The Observer. ๐Ÿ’•

amiablePeace77 January 18th, 2018

@ASilentObserver

What i am observing now is the sound the crickets make, the cool, slightly humid air, the total darkness - a characteristic of a beautiful caribbean eve, so peaceful.

I use observation to connect to my surroundings, to be there in the moment, like when having breakfast outside watching the lizard picking up a piece of papaya, the cool breeze, see the leaves of my bigger plants moving - then i now i am part of it

I use observation too to see what is happening, what is unfolding on its own without any interruption from my side

ASilentObserver OP January 18th, 2018

@amiablePeace77

Thats so perfect and beautiful observation Peace. Loved it. Such observations truly make us feel alive in NOW. Good to hear your thoughts on this skill. <3

January 19th, 2018

Sitting here this morning just Observing the stillness and the white blanket of snow that covers the ground. Patches of dissolved snow where the grass is peering through. the trees are nakedsmiley and bare life is still.

ASilentObserver OP January 24th, 2018

@scarletPear1945

Nice observations Scarlet. While reading it, I thought I am reading a poem :D You are so good at observations. <3