Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Announcing our New Leadership Development Program!

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Hi all!

Hope you all are well! I'm writing today with an exciting update. As many of you know, we have long had two tracks of volunteer roles on 7 Cups: listeners and leaders. At present, we have 411,000 volunteer trained listeners and over 1,000 community leaders.

We have spent years building out our listener training program. If you go to our training tab (https://www.7cups.com/listener/training.php), you'll see that we have 66 courses that you can take to strengthen core listener skills as well as learn how to better help people facing specific issues or challenges. These courses are really good too. We just had our Psychological First Aid course audited by a third party and it came off as strong and meeting their requirements. I suspect most of our courses would pass any sort of third-party auditing process.

On that same page, you can click on the blue certification button at the top to look at the more in-depth Active Listening 1-10 certificate programs we provide as well. In addition to these programs, we also provide internship programs for many universities. I'm proud of our curriculum. What I love most about it is that we can provide it at no cost. It is 100% free. I think that is fantastic.

We are now starting the process of building out a leadership training program. We are hoping to train 160 new leaders and many more as new opportunities emerge (check out these slides for a list of roles and opportunities to serve). We are calling it the Leadership Development Program. If you scroll down on that same page, then you'll see a new Header and links to the overview and first few courses in this program. When we started 7 Cups (way back in 2013!) we only had the very first active listener course that you all take. Now we have 66 courses. The same will happen with the leadership domain and then eventually other domains as the needs and training opportunities arise.

I've included more information on the overall program below. Our goal is to recruit more leaders, provide more leadership training for current leaders, and launch new leadership programs to help us better scale up care for our community.

mail If you are interested in becoming a leader on 7 Cups, then please sign up here.

We will start the first cohort in July (the 7/10 Cohort) and will notify you when we are ready to go. Our goal is to complete one course per month. We encourage everyone interested to apply asap, the deadline for the course is 7/10. The application process will remain open even after however you will join the next cohort (8/1/2020) if you miss the deadline.
Thoughts and feedback welcome!

Glen

Leadership Development Program

The 7 Cups Leadership Development Program is designed to help you become a strong leader. The program takes a personal approach and starts with helping you identify and build upon your natural gifts and strengths. It then transitions to focusing on the core discipline of problem-solving. The next course focuses on specific interpersonal skills needed to be a strong leader on 7 Cups, including mastery of communication skills, time management, conflict resolution, and stress management. The fourth course helps you learn how to build community through group support and sub-community work on 7 Cups. The last course provides an overview of servant leadership and other foundational leadership principles.

The program includes content components (reading, watching videos, and passing quizzes to show mastery of knowledge) and practice components. There is a learning by doing practical component where you practice what you learn by serving in a community domain alongside other leaders in either the engagement or quality programs. The program utilizes a cohort model of learning. You will start the program with a group of leaders and work through the curriculum of 5 courses as a cohort. You will receive a badge for the completion of each course and Leadership Studies Certificate upon completion of the entire program.

Here's where you can read about the courses:

Course 1. Personal Leadership 101: Identify and Build Your Strengths

Course 2. Becoming a 7 Cups Leader: Best Practices

Course 3. Personal Leadership 102: The Problem is the Path

Course 4. Foundational Leadership Principles

Course 5. Community Building Course: Challenge

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

lyricalAngel70 June 30th, 2020

@GlenM

Honestly, the fact that we need more training in order to better ourselves as listeners is something I discussed just a day before yesterday itself by commenting on the forum post made by one of the listeners. I also tagged you thereby hoping & praying that our request gets heard unknowing that you guys were already working hard for it. For me, that was quick! I am extremely glad that my prayer got answered! ❤

I've been wanting improved/more training as I personally felt the need for it since the day I joined as a listener. Because I strongly felt that the training/mock tests we went through weren't just enough. Whilst using my member's account, I came across a few listeners who have zilch/poor knowledge about listening in general. They have no clue as to what they talk about (it is highly possible that many of the members had the same thought whilst I was their listener? And this thought just terrified me). This could be the biggest turn-off for members who are seeking help on 7 Cups' of Tea. Especially for those members who search for hours for them. They join 7 Cups' to be helped with the problem of their lives but a listener's lack of listening skills only contributes to their sufferings. I am convinced that there is always room to improve so this would definitely help all of us better ourselves.

Thank you so much for doing this.

I literally appreciate this hard work! ❤

Applied!

GlenM OP June 30th, 2020

@lyricalAngel70 thank you for applying and glad to have you in the program! Yes, we can always improve that is for sure. One step at a time. We have come far, but still have a long ways to go. Also, if you check out the training link (under "my path") you can see about 66 other courses you can take.

@GlenM

We have come far, but still have a long way to go. I couldn't agree more. I am delighted to be a part of this training.

Definitely gonna check out those 66 courses. Thanks a lot.

Take care, stay safe.

Love, Angel. heart

milktealover June 30th, 2020

How do you apply for this program? I am interested into developing my leadership skills and applying.

Grace8402 June 30th, 2020

@GlenM
I just returned from an unplanned break and I'm so glad I'm back! This seems like a really exciting and interesting program! 🤩

GlenM OP June 30th, 2020

@Grace8402 good to have you back! Welcome!

cocoakrispies121 June 30th, 2020

This sounds great Glen! I had a quick question, do you have to complete one a month, or can you go at your own pace? I would love to join it btw!

GlenM OP June 30th, 2020

@cocoakrispies121 we will work on the first course thorugh the month of July and then start the 2nd course in August. It should not be too overwhelming (even fun I hope!). You can take your time and just pick up the next course whenever you are done or wait and just join the 3rd course. There are 5 courses in all and we will work thorugh them continuously so if you miss the 2nd course you can pick it up 5 months later when we work through it again.

cocoakrispies121 June 30th, 2020

@GlenM Thanks!

Wrangler501 June 30th, 2020

I am interested in this Leadership program. How do i sign up?

CaringBrit June 30th, 2020

@GlenM im in multy areas already for leadership :) forum group quality and i think engagement too

GlenM OP June 30th, 2020

@CaringBrit thank you for your service! You are welcome to join the program to furhter strengthen your skills if you like. The program will be open to all interested :)

CaringBrit June 30th, 2020

@GlenM can join same way as the current training programme right itll be in that area ? when will these courses be released

calmParadise87 July 10th, 2020

@GlenM how do I sign up for the New Leadership Development Program? Thank you!

Traveller8 June 30th, 2020

Count me in.

GlenM OP June 30th, 2020

@Traveller8 see you there! Counting on it :)

TogetherForeverAlways June 30th, 2020

@GlenM

I can't even tell how superb I think this is...

Thank you, dear founder @GlenM, for putting this together.

I'm 7 Cups percent in!!

GlenM OP June 30th, 2020

@WatchingOverYou thank you! I think you'll enjoy the process!

TogetherForeverAlways June 30th, 2020

@GlenM

Thank you! I'm sure I will!!

Willow99e June 30th, 2020

I signed up and can't wait to start, I read over the documents on google docs. Should I start working on the tasks, or wait until 7/10?

GlenM OP July 6th, 2020

@Willow99e I'll be doing the first post today for the course so stay tuned!

Derekfan7695 July 1st, 2020

I am interested too!😉

GlenM OP July 6th, 2020

@Derekfan7695 awesome, if you haven't yet, please sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScFeU5WrT04UvHHn3FDi_0g-XL2ja3Dzh694i9EEUzSM8z3SQ/viewform

musicalPassion2344 July 2nd, 2020

I'm interested too

cgmarie001 July 2nd, 2020

@musicalPassion2344

cgmarie001 July 2nd, 2020

@musicalPassion2344

I am interested.

Vminkook July 2nd, 2020

@musicalPassion2344

Stressmiss July 2nd, 2020

Hey even i am also interested.!!

happyDay61120 July 2nd, 2020

I am interested!

MagicalSnow614 July 3rd, 2020

@GlenM

Will the course be going on for the following months even after August? I am interested but will likely not have time until I complete the student internship I am curretnly doing.

GlenM OP July 6th, 2020

@MagicalSnow614 yes it'll be ongoing, so just hop in when done your internship!

Petrichor2000 July 3rd, 2020

@GlenM

I am interested

rebecca947 September 20th, 2020

@Petrichor2000

Great that you've applied and are in it!

ananyeahh July 3rd, 2020

how can i i join this program?