Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Glue June 13th, 2022

@Elise849

I can definitely relate to being determined! My motivation might come from a different place, but the drive to pursue and complete my goal is definitely similar!

MrS7v7n April 23rd, 2022

@GlenM

Advocate
INFJ-T

I tend to care for others success more than my own.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

More fulfillment and helping others based than on materialistic "things".

Feeling-77%

Intuitive-73%

Judging-67%

MrS7v7n April 23rd, 2022

@MrS7v7n

Helping others than based on Materialistic things..

(Touch dyslexic)

AuroraBriarRose0 April 26th, 2022

@MrS7v7n

I got the same exact result. Do you feel like you relate to the results? I was a bit skeptical about mine but some of it seemed correct.

victoriousVoice21 April 24th, 2022

@GlenM I'm an ENFJ and I've been already interested in MBTI even before the Leadership program so I've already taken the test and learned pretty interesting things about myself such as that I'm a born leader and a good negotiator , i have an uncanny ability to pick un on people's underlying motivations and beliefs and that' I'm a dedicated caring person . My top 3 strengths would be that I'm a natural leader because of my strong personality , I'm charismatic because I'm passionate and I'm empathetic and use that to understand others and connect with them .

GoldenNest2727 April 26th, 2022

@victoriousVoice21

Being able to discern a person's motivations sounds like a huge advantage.

@victoriousVoice21

Discerning a person's motivations sounds like an amazing trait to have. I'd love to develop something like that.

Glue June 13th, 2022

@victoriousVoice21

A natural leader! A strong personality can be so inspiring and energizing to a group of people who aren't sure if they should pursue a certain goal. I'm beginning to lead in my volunteering (not 7Cups, another organization) and I am beginning to realize how important someone who takes initiative and is excited can be to others.

Train1 April 26th, 2022

@GlenM

I think I really learned a lot from this test.

My personality is a Protagonist ENFJ-A

I can spread themselves too thin – and be left unable to help anyone. This is something I need to be careful of.

I am rarely short on energy or determination.

People with this personality type enjoy teaching others, particularly about the causes and beliefs that matter so much to them.

I harbor a deep desire to be a force for positive change.

@Train1

It really is easy to take on too much.

Glencia89 May 16th, 2022

@Train1

It's really important for a leader to have determination to bring positive changes! I wish I could develop this quality.

gentleFox20 May 31st, 2022

@Train1

Oh Train I really connected with that last one 'harbor a deep desire to be a force for change'. I feel similarly and get frustrated when I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Definitely easy to over extend ourselves, take care of yourself :)

🦊

Glue June 13th, 2022

@Train1

I can relate to having a deep desire to enact positive change. I feel the same way.

1. What is your personality type?
I'm an ENTJ-A

I've taken this test twice before, so I can't say that I'm surprised by the result.

Efficient – Commanders see inefficiency not just as a problem in its own right, but as something that pulls time and energy away from all their future goals, an elaborate sabotage consisting of irrationality and laziness. People with the Commander personality type will root out such behavior wherever they go.

Self-Confident – Commanders couldn’t do this if they were plagued by self-doubt – they trust their abilities, make known their opinions, and believe in their capacities as leaders.

Strategic Thinker - Commanders exemplify the difference between moment-to-moment crisis management and navigating the challenges and steps of a bigger plan, and are known for examining every angle of a problem and not just resolving momentary issues, but moving the whole project forward with their solutions.

MelodyoftheOcean May 14th, 2022

@GoldenNest2727

Those are amazing qualities! Being able to work efficiently will probably help you a lot on your Cupsjourney, as well as thinking strategically. And confidence is alwayssss a plus!

Keep it up you are doing amazing! 💜

gentleFox20 May 31st, 2022

@GoldenNest2727

Those sounds like leadership qaulities if I ever heard any! If I could pinch a little of your self confidence that would be great :) Being able to see the big picture is also really helpful!

🦊

@GlenM

My four letter personality type is INFJ, which makes me an advocate. I'm more fulfilled by helping others reach their goals. Not to say that I don't have goals for myself just that my goals are more for creating opportunities for other people. According to the test this is a rare personality trait, I am skeptical but I'll just go with it.

According to the test three of my strengths are altruism, passion, and incite. There were more than three strengths to choose from but I identified with these three most. In altruism, I do not like to gain anything from someone else's misfortune. In passion, I am very committed to anything I set out to do and I will pursue an idea until I've accomplished what I've set out to do. In incite, I feel I have lived through a lot and gained knowledge into aspects of life that other people may not know. All of which are helpful to myself and those around me.

FrenchMarbles May 4th, 2022

@AuroraBriarRose0

It is interesting sure, but remember it is simply a short test, it won't define you as a person.

May 22nd, 2022

@AuroraBriarRose0

Doing things that you have a passion for really helps doing it for a long haul.

CurrySoup12 March 21st, 2023

@AuroraBriarRose0 You have a good grasp on your strengths. Interesting to read!

FrenchMarbles May 4th, 2022

@GlenM

my personality type is: Logician (INTP-T)

A Logician (INTP) is someone with Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, and Prospecting personality traits. These flexible thinkers enjoy taking an unconventional approach to many aspects of life. They often seek out unlikely paths, mixing willingness to experiment with personal creativity.

Wow, it is nice to see that I have those qualities, it's definitely a learning curve!

@FrenchMarbles

My brother and a good friend of mine are both INTP. You are a really amazing person, not just because of that personality type, but because you are so hard working on cups with so much passion.

Thank you for that, really 💙

Harsvin May 16th, 2022

@FrenchMarbles

Those are amazing qualities Marbles , and it's really admirable.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us ❤

@GlenM

That is a really nice question to start the course with!

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

My MBTI Personality type is the INFP-T. So what comes with that?

I learned about myself that I am a really understanding and open minded person, even if I can be very introverted and need my space. I like to be there for others, I enjoy a huge number of things, but on the other hand I can activate that "T", which stands for troublesome, quite often and get too much into my head. So what are the strengths of my personality type, of being me?

The first one on the list is Empathetic. And I can't say that's not true. I always see the very best in people, I try to understand their perspective, which I am sometimes better at then seeing my own, I can feel what they are feeling and I am always there for everyone. And I know I have to be careful with that, because I can't always stay up the whole night just so someone else is feeling better. But I know that I am able to support others trough being empathetic, create a safe space for them and I like doing that. Maybe the ability to be there for others more then for myself is what brought me to 7Cups.

As an INFP-T I am also considered a Generous person. I love to make other people smile, to bring joy into their lives, or maybe just to throw cookies at them when they need them. I recently started to realize that this can also be a problem, because if I am always giving and never receiving, even my social batteries can drop. So I started to set boundaries on Cups which has helped me sooo much. I can still give as much as possible, just not all the time and not to everyone. And that is okay too.

Open-Minded is the third on the list of my strengths. And again, I can't really doubt that. I think that every individual is so special in their own way, I don't care about what someone might look like or if someone makes mistakes, or about their identity, their orientation, their believes. In the end we are all just humans, trying to survive and making the best out of our lives. And maybe through that acceptance of just everyone I can make an impact on Cups. Because I know what it is like to not accept oneself, or to not be accepted by others, even though this is one of the things I can't quite understand. Why people feel that they can judge others. I hope that I can help many more individuals on Cups through that open-minded and non-judgmental strengths I have.

Thank you for reading through this you amazing, wonderful, special being! 💙

Glencia89 May 16th, 2022

@MelodyoftheOcean

I couldn't agree more with you about the importance of setting boundaries. I used be overwhelmed because I spend too many energy on helping others. I really appreciate that you can solve this problem by yourself!

wish you a good day!

(I really like your layout for the post btw

MelodyoftheOcean May 16th, 2022

@Glencia89

Thank you, that means a lot to me! Boundaries have always been a struggle for me on Cups, but I think I am getting better, which is amazing!

I hope that you can find your way as well and wish you all the best for the journey, you seem to be on the right path if you are in this discussion 😊

And thank you for your many kind words, I appreciate them a lot! ❤️

Harsvin May 16th, 2022

@MelodyoftheOcean

Very well written and I love the colours. I can absolutely relate with you on "T" and the fact that we both are introverts!.

Thank you so much for sharing

MelodyoftheOcean May 16th, 2022

@Harsvin

Thank you! And it's funny because I feel like the very definition of an introvert outside of cups, but on here I am the one that keeps pulling others out of the shadows, which confuses me a lot, but I also really enjoy it!

I wish you all the very best for your ongoing journey! 💜

Harsvin May 16th, 2022

@MelodyoftheOcean

That's great, Ocean :D I think cause 7cups is a safe and encouraging community which helped us introvert to open up and offer our support by being more sociable.

Thank you so much ❤ I wish you all the best on your journey as well.

May 22nd, 2022

@MelodyoftheOcean

i really think being really open mind can help with all areas of cups and life. I think I become more open mind since I joined cups

MelodyoftheOcean July 19th, 2022

@Goalsforlife

I completely agree with you, and I am so happy you are noticing your own growth! 💜

CurrySoup12 March 21st, 2023

@MelodyoftheOcean You are a writer! Wow, what incredible insight!

MelodyoftheOcean March 21st, 2023

@CurrySoup12

I am, when I enjoy the topic! And thank you. I wish you an awesome day ❤️

Glencia89 May 16th, 2022

@GlenM

My type is ENFP according to the test I took today, pretty surprising.

I've been taking the test before but I was INFP at that time, guess I'm a bit more extraverted than I was.

One thing I learned that I'm an open-minded person. Although I'm not good at arguing with people, I could easily join a discussion and understand other's idea.

Another thing I learned is that I'm a curious people who like to seek for interesting stuff to do. The curiosity could make me restless some times, but it also means that I'm always ready to explore something new.

The first one would be curious. It means that I could find almost everything interesting(except for taking test maybe lol). That means I could stay really focus on something for a short period of time.

The second would be perceptive. It's a new word for me though. It means that I'm sensitive to others feeling and really care about how they feel.

The third is festive. It means I could stay lighthearted and live at present even when I live for deep, meaningful conversations.

Harsvin May 16th, 2022

@Glencia89

I really admire your strengths Glencia, thank you so much for sharing it with us ❤

Harsvin May 16th, 2022

@GlenM

ISFJ-T

As someone with a defender personality I have learned that I care and take responsibility of others well-being, I would go a step ahead by providing my best support and making sure everything going well. I'm also best described me as loyal/devoted to my social circle. Apart from that I have learned that I have a keen detail on perfectionism, which is very much relatable as I often work very hard by putting a little extra effort by making sure each and every tasks is performed exceptionally well. However, in certain situations where my efforts would go unseen/unappreciated or when I'm not given my due credits (happened numerous times) I have learned the importance of standing up for myself because in the long run that will keep me doing by increasing my motivation.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them

Supportive – As a defender, I enjoy helping others in every possible way i could in the form of sharing my knowledge, experience, expertise and even providing emotional support.

Hardworking – I often put my heart and soul into a task by making sure my work has been positively impactful and beneficial.

Observant – I take notice of people's feelings and emotions by taking note /remembering details of their situations or emotions as that helps me gain better understanding and insights.

May 22nd, 2022

@Harsvin

nice to see there is an other defender out there. I really think hard work is important to get things done and gain respect of leaders on cups.

Train1 June 1st, 2022

@Harsvin

Being observant is a great quality. Often the members have a lot of issues and I really do think that they appreciate when we take note of all of the details of what they are experiencing.

Rehan1 December 6th, 2022

@Harsvin

great personality

May 22nd, 2022
  • 1 Isdj-a
  • 2 I already knew everything from the test.
  • 3 a. Hardworking. When I have something needs to be done I keep going until it is all the way done,
  • 3b observant. I always seem to noticed every little thing.
  • 3c reliable I often get things done on time and some times before the deadline. I come up with plan of attack before I start the task.