Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

JoyfulMovement September 9th, 2021

Hi @optimisticDay8079
I always find the balance of Introvert and Extrovert keenly interesting! When people fall in the middle (ambiverts woot woot) it's always interesting to think that we decide in the moment how we need to recharge (alone or with people) and how that is never a decisive and obvious choice.

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022

The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by ssuccess. -ruce Feirstein

thisisirene March 23rd, 2021

@GlenM

ENTP-T: )

I learned that apparently I'm some sort of enterpeneur? Tha'ts weird :D

My three strenghts according to the site are

Bold – People with the Entrepreneur personality type are full of life and energy. There is no greater joy for Entrepreneurs than pushing boundaries and discovering and using new things and ideas.

Rational and Practical – Entrepreneurs love knowledge and philosophy, but not for their own sake. What’s fun for Entrepreneur personalities is finding ideas that are actionable and drilling into the details so they can put them to use. If a discussion is completely arbitrary, there are better uses for Entrepreneurs’ time.

Original – Combining their boldness and practicality, Entrepreneurs love to experiment with new ideas and solutions. They put things together in ways no one else would think to.

That's it : )

mamtasha22 April 10th, 2021

@thisisirene

I love your personality, an entrepreneur that's so cool

EmpathicPikachu April 11th, 2021

@thisisirene

I got INTP-A and surprisingly those are kinda same traits like Original , Rational and Practical. I was a logician by the way. So, its kinda interesting that two personalities have similar traits yet they are different.

UnicornsCottonCandy March 25th, 2021

@GlenM

1. INTP
2. One thing I learned about myself is about my career pathways. I was surprised to read that people with MBTI of INTP are suitable for studying law or doing laboratory research in their career because those two areas of study were exactly the subjects I was considering studying in the future. I learned that what I chose for my career path is well-selected!
3. The top 3 strengths which I felt most connected to are the 'imaginative and original', 'honest and straightforward' and 'analysts and abstract thinkers'. The first strength, 'imaginative and original' describes the tendency of people with INTP to make "remarkable innovations" that are purely based on their imagination and thoughts. Although these innovations may not eventually come to light, they are beneficial approaches. Being 'honest and straightforward' is the characteristic of INTP which I agree most with as I struggle to say things indirectly to others as I believe that being direct is the quickest and strongest way to convey a particular idea. Due to my honest personality, I focus on being polite whenever I am being honest. The third strength, being analytical and thinking abstractly, is another personality that I think represents me very well because I love exploring philosophical ideas and analyzing texts in language classes. I love analyzing the 'hidden meanings' of texts and exploring the truth about the world we live in.

cuteeeezombieeee March 29th, 2021

@UnicornsCottonCandy INTP sounds really cool! I'm INFP-T and it's so exciting to hear about other's personalities! I'm glad you got to learn a lot about yourself! Besides, that I particularly like your strength of being honest and straightforward! it sounds like a really beneficial strength heart

confidentpanda April 11th, 2021

@cuteeeezombieeee Omg! I have the same personality as you! That's super cool!

jinlatte March 29th, 2021

@UnicornsCottonCandy

I'm an INTP too! It's great to see another person with the same personality as me! I love how we analysts and abstract thinkers. Take care heart

@UnicornsCottonCandy

Its great that the test helped you with your career path

kindLemonade March 26th, 2021

@GlenM

Enfp-T

I love reading the part about being careful if i might misread people'emotions. My strength has been my intuition, but as the personality warns, it can sometimes be misleading if i rely on intuition alone.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

- ability to empathise strongly with others

- passionate and creative

-independence

@Bu123

Hello! I love how one of your strength is ability to empathise strongly with others. I think this is a very important strength to have! Have a good dayheart

kindLemonade March 29th, 2021

Aw thanks for passing by 😘 have a lovely day too

herealways27 April 5th, 2021

@Bu123

Wow I think the ability to empathize and be caring is great for being a listener!

@kindLemonade

Ability to empathize is a great charachteristic

giggleZebra2708 April 19th, 2021

@kindLemonade

I am an ENFP - T too, we are make 7% of the population and we can consider ourselves quite rare hahah.

Its lovely to hear you sharing your strengths and traits that are important to you

Have a great day ahead

giggleZebra2708 April 19th, 2021

@kindLemonade

I am an ENFP - T too, we are make 7% of the population and we can consider ourselves quite rare hahah.

Its lovely to hear you sharing your strengths and traits that are important to you

Have a great day ahead

kindLemonade April 20th, 2021

@giggleZebra2708

hello ENFP fellow yeslaugh

1) Personality Type: INFF-T (The Mediator)

2) Main things you learned about yourself: I finally learnt to identify the feelings which I experience of not fitting in anywhere. Like, that constant feeling of being misunderstood or not being like others. It’s good in a way. I think I have to embrace the fact that I’m unique. The personality test also identified me as having a caring personality, which is very true. I tend to always place others’ needs before my own. It was fun to find out that people with my personality type are always mistaken as being quiet and uninteresting! In reality, we might be quiet on the inside, but we can be really interesting and excited if you get to know us personally!

3) Top 3 Strengths:

Thoughtful – Caring a lot about others’ feelings and trying our best not to hurt them, even unintentionally..Our kindness benefits everyone around us.

Generous –We don’t enjoy the fruit of success by hurting someone else. We want to share our joy and achievements with others. We highly value the importance of equality.

Open-Minded – We are accepting of everyone else’s beliefs and opinions. We like to let people live as they want, but we always want to protect them from being hurt.

Taking the test was a fulfilling experience! heart

*INFP ..oof, that was a bad typo

JordanPeraltaa April 1st, 2021

@cuteeeezombieeee

JordanPeraltaa April 1st, 2021

@cuteeeezombieeee (Sorry for the seperate tag above, accidental :P)

Hey! Thanks for the comment on my post. It's super awesome to meet another INFP-T, it seems to be a personality type that is harder to come across. I relate so much to your comments about not feeling like you fit in because you feel different to others.

I think it's really cool that you've learnt to embrace the fact that you are unique, and should see it as a strength rather than a weakness - After all, the most valuable things are typically the hardest to find

Take care :)

confidentpanda April 11th, 2021

@JordanPeraltaa I'm INFP as well! Cool to meet you guys.

@cuteeeezombieeee

Way to go!

@GlenM

Hello!

My personality type came out to be INTP, Logician.

The main things I have learnt about myself?

That I love patterns, and spotting discrepancies between statements.

And also that I am prone to reassessing my own thoughts and theories.

Top 3 strengths

I can be very enthusiastic if I have new ideas.

I am open minded.

I am good at analyzing machines and big problems.

@jinlatte

Interesting! Fellow INTP and I have not found many of those.

MarleyR April 18th, 2021

@jinlatte In school I was known as the corrector so mistakes definitely don't pass me by either.

greatfulSmiles6152 June 7th, 2021

Hi @jinlatte! I love how innovative and analytical you are!

peacefulIris56 June 7th, 2021

@jinlatte Those are very helpful and advantageous characteristics that you have.

Ahmed April 1st, 2021

@GlenM

Hi, I think this is my 5th or 6th time to take the test to get the result of ENFP-T

I took the test first time with Feeling 90+% now it got 83%. I think it is a very good progress since i was trying to balance things. I agree with much explained for a campaigner there. I struggled to get to know me and to learn new ways to handle my emotions and happy with this little progress

Some strength mentioned were: Observant, Curious, Excellent communicator and energetic.

With energetic that has ups and downs, was a nice thing to dive in this test once again. Have a lovely day all :D

@Ahmed

Hey seems like your personality have been pretty consistent through the test of time! It's great that you're working to balance things, I'm also on the same track with my introvert-extrovert!

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please �

My personality is ISTJ.

I learned that I don't rely on my emotions much to make decisions but rather the facts. I also like autonomy and self-sufficiency.

My top strengths are being honest, strong-willed, responsiblem, calm, and practical.

Cristen April 12th, 2021

@herealways27
Hey there! blush I'm an ISTP!
We differ in the last letter (P and J) which is interesting.
I very much like autonomy as well and make (most) decisions logically like you cheeky

WynterRose April 6th, 2021

@GlenM

Architect

INTJ-A

51% extrovert, 49% introvert

79% intuitive, 21% observant

54% thinking, 46% feeling

those were the things I learned about myself that I felt were most significant.

The gifts of my personality or strengths include: versitality, curiosity, very high determination, independence, and the last two informed meaning very devoted to rational, evidence-based options which is consistence with my field in psychology. The last one was especially accurate for me, rational because I do see everything as a way to expand my thought processes and mind and there are life lessons all around me.

mamtasha22 April 6th, 2021

@GlenM I had taken this test a few days ago so that is going to help I honestly love this thing but anyways getting to the main topic

My personality type is:

Advocate

INFJ-T

My strengths:

Creative – Advocate personalities enjoy finding the perfect solution for the people they care about. To do this, they draw on their vivid imagination and their strong sense of compassion. This can make them excellent counselors and advisors.

Insightful – Advocates typically strive to move past appearances and get to the heart of things. This can give them an almost uncanny ability to understand people’s true motivations, feelings, and needs.

Principled – People with the Advocate personality type tend to have deeply held beliefs, and their conviction often shines through when they speak or write about subjects that matter to them. Advocates can be compelling and inspiring communicators, with their idealism persuading even the hardest of skeptics.

Passionate – Advocates can pursue their ideals with a single-mindedness that may catch others off guard. These personalities rarely settle for “good enough,” and their willingness to disrupt the status quo may not please everyone. That said, Advocates’ passion for their chosen cause is a key aspect of their personality.

Altruistic – Advocates generally aim to use their strengths for the greater good – they rarely enjoy succeeding at other people’s expense. They tend to think about how their actions affect others, and their goal is to behave in a way that will help the people around them and make the world a better place.

My weakness:

Sensitive to Criticism – When someone challenges their principles or values, Advocates may react strongly. People with this personality type can become defensive in the face of criticism and conflict, particularly when it comes to issues that are near to their hearts.

Reluctant to Open Up – Advocates value honesty, but they’re also private. They may find it difficult to open up and be vulnerable about their struggles. This might also be because they think they need to solve their problems on their own or don’t want to burden other people with their issues. When Advocates don’t ask for help, they may inadvertently hold themselves back or create distance in their relationships.

Perfectionistic – The Advocate personality type is all but defined by idealism. While this is a wonderful quality in many ways, an ideal situation is not always possible. Advocates might find it difficult to appreciate their jobs, living situations, or relationships if they’re continually fixating on imperfections and wondering whether they should be looking for something better.

Avoiding the Ordinary – Advocate personalities tend to be motivated by a sense of having a greater purpose in life. They might consider it tedious or unnecessary to break their big visions into small, manageable steps. But they may be setting themselves up for frustration if they don’t turn their dreams into everyday routines and to-do lists. Without these specifics, their goals may never materialize.

Prone to Burnout – Advocates’ perfectionism and reserve may leave them with few options for letting off steam. People with this personality type can exhaust themselves if they don’t find a way to balance their drive to help others with necessary self-care and rest.

I don't know who is going to read such a big post but whoever does thanks <3 <3

Cristen April 12th, 2021

@mamtasha22
Hello! Yes that is a pretty lengthy post XD
I still like how you added in your weaknesses along with your strengths though!
It's great to have principled and altruisitc advocates like you, people who strive for ideals and the greater good! blush

mamtasha22 April 12th, 2021

@Cristen thanks! I didn't expect someone to actually read this lengthy post thanks for reading it <3 I hope I can keep growing this course has definitely taught me something

RideaRainbow April 6th, 2021

my personality type is :

“The Consul” (ESFJ-A)

I primarily learned about my personality traits, some I knew and others I didn't. It was an eye-opener .

my 3 top strengths are :

1. i have a kind and diligent mind.

2. i am extraverted.

3. i am feeling and understanding.

would love to connect with others with my personality type.

was great to know in detail about my personality traits.

Readylistener April 7th, 2021

My personality type is INFJ-T

I felt acknowledged in a way, and I did understand myself better after. I also got to know how to improve myself and realise my potential.

My top 3 strengths were:

1. Creativity- So to problem solve I tend to be creative and find the best possible solution.

2. Insightful- I realised that I do actually understand people very well

3. Principled- I have a rather strong set of values by which I abide by quite passionately.

mamtasha22 April 13th, 2021

@Readylistener yayy! finally found a fellow INFJ-T