Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

MarissaHope October 27th, 2020

@GlenM

a fun test! I learned a lot

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please INFJ-T Advocates

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself? I learned that I think deeply about things and it effects my daily life I also learned I have a lot of integrity and I'm not a big dreamer, and I rather keep peace with others.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them. 1. A gift is I strive to do what's right. 2. I see helping others as a purpose in life. 3. I try deeper to help fix the deeper world issues

soulsings October 27th, 2020

@MarissaHope hi there. I am glad to meet you. Interesting we are both Advocates. INFJ-T

Feel free to PM me. Always interested in meeting new people and discussing the course.

Take care.

1) I am an Advocate INFJ-T

2) I learned that I am great at working alone when I have to but I work well with people in structured environments. This is shown by leading discussions every week. Open Chat where people talk about all kinds of things and there is no structure are not as interesting

3)

Advocates generally strive to do what’s right – and they want to help create a world where others do the right thing as well. People with this personality type may feel called to use their strengths – including creativity, imagination, and sensitivity – to uplift others and spread compassion. Concepts like egalitarianism and karma can mean a great deal to Advocates.

@soulsings

it's very rare and unique we have the same

@MarissaHope I do not know how rare it is but I found 3 on the last page all the same. Amazing

@soulsings only 1% of the earth has INFJ-T <3

@MarissaHope this is the only time in my life I have been and will be part of the 1% lol

@soulsings well consider yourself lucky!

soulsings October 28th, 2020

@MarissaHope I will!

DreamTouch October 30th, 2020

@soulsings

Nice to read this, love your traits. It kinda amazes me how infj's are rare but we find many of them in this community heart

soulsings October 30th, 2020

@DreamTouch thanks for your kind words. To me the personality traits are nice to know if they help me to better fulfill my personal mission in life. To me they are like lumber. By itself it is not much but potential. With time and effort it is a house.

kindheartedWords6803 October 28th, 2020

@GlennM

My personality type

INFJ-Advocate

i am introvertedand intuitive, I think and feel with a depth that brings challenges as well. We speak with great passion and conviction especially when standing up for our ideas, however we also may choose to be soft spoken and understanding.

main things I learned about myself

we connect with others, that is we communicate in a way that is warm and sensitive, we also stand up for what is right.

my top 3 strengths

insightful:this means we see through people whether they are being honest or dishonest.

principled

passionate

courageousComputer8224 October 28th, 2020

Your blog is too amazing Click here

blitheEmbrace27 October 29th, 2020

1. What is your personality type?

My personality type is ESFJ-T

I learned that I am definitely a people person (which I kind of already knew) but also do like doing my own things as well. In the results it said “this personality trait enjoys supporting their friends and loved ones, organizing social gatherings and doing their best to make sure everyone is happy” - this is pretty much me to a tee! I always have the need to make sure everyone is supported and happy.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

According to the test my top 3 strengths are:

Strong practical skills - Enjoy making sure that people are taken of, great with managing day to day tasks.

Strong sense of duty - Great understanding of having responsibilities. Strive to follow through with commitments and goals.

Very loyal - Extremely trustworthy and loyal, can always be relied on.

@blitheEmbrace27

Hi Bli! Nice to read your responses and I totally agree with your strengths! heart

InquireWithin October 29th, 2020

Hi there! So I have taken this test at least 3 times in the last 25 years. I suspected that as I got older, I would turn out to be more extraverted. Wrong. I am *still*

Advocate

INFJ - T

Despite being required to be extraverted in my line of work, I am strongly I & N, and often emotional but can reason and think critically which makes me a very poor follower. I go my own way and too bad if some people don't like that.

Main things I learned about myself are:
I knew this already, but am still surprised that INFJ people are 1% of the population. I learned from taking the test this time that I am still capable of overthinking. I waffled on the correct degree of Agree vs Disagree! wink

My top three strengths/gifts according to the test:

1) Ethics are important to me; 2) Insightful; 3) Fiercely independent yet willing to adapt as needed.

ListenerKitty October 30th, 2020

@InquireWithin What an incredible way to be!

courageousComputer8224 October 29th, 2020

The extraordinary site you arrived! It would be ideal if you continue refreshing, I will def read more. It'll be in my bookmarks so better update! Read more

ListenerKitty October 30th, 2020

I am an Adventurer aka ISFP-T

I learned how much of a truly open person I really am. I always thought maybe I saw myself in a much different light then others do, and I think this confirmed it.

My top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test would be;
1. Sensitive to others - so we relate to others emotions and helps set harmony and minimize conflict

2. Passionate - although we are quite shy, we can be very passionate about the things we set our focus on

3. Curious - we are quite curious about the world and everything in it, we like to research and learn more

FrenchToast November 11th, 2020

@ListenerKitty I am glad this test solidified your guesses! I think this is a great personality type to have. You have a little bit of everything. smiley

lovelyParadise7651 October 30th, 2020

ENFJ-t Protagonist
Protagonists are natural-born leaders, full of passion and charisma. Forming around two percent of the population.

Can be overly idealistic, too selfless, too sensitive, have fluctuating self esteem and struggle to make tough decisions.

Protagonists are genuine, caring people who talk the talk and walk the walk, and nothing makes them happier than leading the charge, uniting and motivating their team with infectious enthusiasm.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them
Tolerant-Protagonists are true team players, and they recognize that that means listening to other peoples’ opinions, even when they contradict their own.
Reliable-Protagonists can always be counted on to see it through.
Charismatic-They instinctively know how to capture an audience, and pick up on mood and motivation in ways that allow them to communicate with reason, emotion, passion, restraint – whatever the situation calls for
Altruistic-- Uniting these qualities is Protagonists’ unyielding desire to do good in and for their communities, be it in their own home or the global stage. Warm and selfless, Protagonists genuinely believe that if they can just bring people together, they can do a world of good.
Natural leader-- More than seeking authority themselves, Protagonists often end up in leadership roles at the request of others, cheered on by the many admirers of their strong personality and positive vision.

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please
ISFJ - Defender

What I've learned about myself is that, I'm practical and dedicated and has a strong sense of duty and perfectionism, has got an eye for details . I always strive for excellence, is hardworking and dedicated, as well as deeply care about others.

a) Supportive- Universal helpers, sharing their knowledge, experience, time and energy with anyone who needs it. Strive for win-win situations, choosing empathy over judgment whenever possible
b) Reliable and Patient Defenders are meticulous and careful, taking a steady approach and bending with the needs of the situation just enough to accomplish their end goals. Defenders not only ensure that things are done to the highest standard, but often go well beyond what is required.
c) Imaginative and Observant: Defenders are very imaginative, and use this quality as an accessory to empathy, observing others emotional states and seeing things from their perspective. With their feet firmly planted on the ground, it is a very practical imagination, though they do find things quite fascinating and inspiring

Azalea98 November 1st, 2020

@DreamTouch

The character traits you seem to have make you sound like a perfect friend to have, also makes you sound like the ideal active listener, you must be so happy with them 🙂

flappyjack October 30th, 2020

1. What is your personality type? ENTP-T , Turbulent Debater

Well, it...it was an uncomfortably accurate depiction of me. Usually not something I experience. Here's a quote from the conclusion:

" At some point in reading through your results, you probably hit a tipping point. You went from trademark Debater skepticism to “huh...” to “wait, what?” You may even be a little uncomfortable because you are really not used to being understood, even by the people you’re closest to."

I don't usually put much stock in personality quizes but this one really hit home. Like the part about absorbing information, not for any practical use, but just because it will be fun to use later at some unspecified time. Or picking arguments on things I might not actually care about in the least but just for a kick. I am excellent at high level strategy or planning projects but I often fail at the execution of the fine details, I have always had a hard time relating to people and generally have a very small but very close pool of friends who I find to be mentally stimulating but have little tolerance for the dull or simplistic axioms that many people use to guide thier lives.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test?

It my brain mostly. Knowledge, quick wit, and charisma.

@flappyjack

How cool we have the exact same personality type! I believe it's a great set of results and means you are a well rounded person, you also seem to be super intelligent 🙂🙂

@GlenM

My personality type is the debater ENTP-T

I learnt that I was more extroverted then introverted whihc surprised me greatly. And that my personality type seems to find it difficult to focus which I find happening to me a lot!

Knowledgeable – Debaters rarely pass up a good opportunity to learn something new, especially abstract concepts. This information isn’t usually absorbed for any planned purpose as with dedicated studying, people with the Debater personality type just find it fascinating.

Quick Thinkers – Debaters have tremendously flexible minds, and are able to shift from idea to idea without effort, drawing on their accumulated knowledge to prove their points, or their opponents’, as they see fit.

Original – Having little attachment to tradition, Debater personalities are able to discard existing systems and methods and pull together disparate ideas from their extensive knowledge base, with a little raw creativity to hold them together, to formulate bold new ideas. If presented with chronic, systemic problems and given rein to solve them, Debaters respond with unabashed glee.

flappyjack November 3rd, 2020

@Azalea98

Hey a kindred spirit! How weird was it reading things about yourself that you always understood but never seemed to be successful at communicating to people? On the Introvert/Extravert issue, I've been telling people for a long time that I'm the most extraverted introvert they'll ever meet.

Gozzil November 5th, 2020

@Azalea98

Thanks for your post, it was interesting reading about your personality type, very different to mine but a lot of qualities I really admire.

Azalea98 November 6th, 2020

@Gozzil

Thank you for your kind words, they made me smile 🙂

JustLikeMellie November 1st, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? INFP

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself? That I am more intuitive

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test?

-Thoughtful – Mediators care about other people’s feelings. They adjust their actions if they think they might hurt anyone, even unintentionally. Kindheartedness flows from Mediator personalities, and everyone around them tends to benefit from it.

-Generous – Mediators rarely enjoy succeeding at others’ expense. In general, people with this personality type want to share the good things in their lives. They value equality, and they want to ensure that every voice and perspective is heard.

-Open-Minded – Mediators tend to give other people the benefit of the doubt. They aim to be tolerant of other people’s beliefs, lifestyles, and decisions. Generally speaking, Mediators support others’ right to live as they see fit – as long as no one is being hurt.

bestBraveheart57 November 6th, 2020

@JustLikeMellie Hi, you remind me with my bestie, she having tendency to mediate and bring warmness to group of people, unite others. Embrace your strength! Embrace your people! smiley

Anexmos November 3rd, 2020

@GlenM

What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please.

The Advocate (INFJ) personality type is defined as having the Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, and Judging traits. This combination makes these personalities stand out uniquely with a quiet, principled version of humanism. They think and feel with a depth that brings challenges as well as opportunities.

What were the main things you learned about yourself?

That I'm a passionate and emotional person. I tend to strengthen the relationship between me and the team and prefer the friendly environment.

What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

1. Standing Up for What’s Right.

2. Connecting with Others (and Themselves)

3. The Cost of Success.

@Anexmos

I love that your top strength is Standing up for what's right, that is a trait I greatly admire.

Anexmos November 5th, 2020

@Gozzil

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it *high five*

@Anexmos Woahh, we share the same personality smiley

So glad to meet person alike.

Anexmos November 6th, 2020

@bestBraveheart57

Yay! that's so cool yeah laughheart

wishfulMoment42 November 4th, 2020

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please
INFP-T

The test was quite accurate and I found myself deeply engrossed in reading and mapping it to my personality.
So there were couple of important things which I could uncover from the test.
It did explain my urge to convey my emotions using words rather than talks. I made me realize I need to draw a line and know distinction between idealism and actuality. I have nothing to complain about myself, and I am perfectly content with the kind of individual I am evolving into.

Thoughtful, Generous, Open-Minded

@wishfulMoment42

I found it pretty accurate too, super interesting making connections between what the test said and what I already thought about myself.

@wishfulMoment42 Wow impressive! Congrats, that you finally understand your thoughtfulness sharpen in words rather than when speak. Seems like you have multiple dots on your mind that waiting you draw the line to reveal its full potential. Keep going! smiley

emily2803 November 9th, 2020

@wishfulMoment42 I think it's funny how these tests can manage to pinpoint our personalities to some degree after asking some comprehensive questions. Sometimes, I find that it can help us understand our true motivations. Understanding ourselves is so important.

Being thoughtful is a really interesting strength that I would also like to develop. Some people don't always have the ability to consider others, so this is a very valuable quality.