Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths Ò things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Γ‚

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Γ‚

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

SushiSunshine July 11th, 2020

@WarriorPrincess16

I really like how you have described your strengths. I hope you have a great day as well!

QuietMagic July 13th, 2020

@WarriorPrincess16 That sounds amazing that you're able to create those gadgets/solutions, have that be something that you naturally enjoy doing, and it also happens to be really helpful or enjoyable for other people as well. Everybody wins. Slightly smiling

That makes a lot of sense what you've described about being a natural leader. There's this situation that's scary where there's a risk of disappointing others, but you're able to push yourself and persist in that pressure--and not everyone is able to do that.

cocoakrispies121 July 11th, 2020

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

Logician INTP-T

I learned that I can be extremley "high-strung" and intoverted in new social situations. I learned that while I always have a messy desk, I like followings things in order, doing them right, and making sure it is done well. I also learned that the Logician type is very rare! It makes up 3% of the population. The final thing I learned was that I like exploring new ideas, and a lot of times all the ideas/thoughts in my head can make my good ideas turn into a kind of jumble, that can make my idea difficult to execute well.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Enthusiastic: I am a reserved person, but when I find something that peaks my intrest, and somebody who shares that intrest, I can be a very excitable person, who, although can finds themselves relying on somebody else to lead conversations, can easily have one about something that piques my intrest.

Honest and Straightforward: I believe that truth is very important to get to the objective.

Open-Minded: I am very open to other ideas and theories, as long as they are supported by logic.

glisteningEyes July 11th, 2020

@cocoakrispies121

Another INFP-T :D

Those strengths are awesome strengths to have! even though we are the same personality type, we all have different strengths and gifts :)

Just realised I misread your personality type πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

You are an INTP-T :P

cocoakrispies121 July 11th, 2020

@glisteningEyes tehehe it's okay :)

July 12th, 2020

@cocoakrispies121

Finally, another INTP. :)

cocoakrispies121 July 12th, 2020

@DonaldDraper

I know right!!

July 12th, 2020

@cocoakrispies121

I feel like one of the kitties in your pic :D

cocoakrispies121 July 12th, 2020

@DonaldDraper Awww yes haha

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type?

INFP-T

I learnt that one of my strengths is that I'm idealstic and one of my weaknesses is that i'm too idealistic which reminds me that a strength can be a weakness.

I also learnt that I have some valuable strengths and that my weaknesses aren't really weaknesses but more of a reminder to be more self aware.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test?

Idealistic means I believe people are inherntly good and that I always try to find the good in a bad situation.

Seek and value harmony means that I have no interest in having power over others and work hard to ensure that every perspective is heard.

Open midned and flexible means I have a live and let live attitude and dislike being constrained by rules (Although I do like to follow rules...) and that I give the benefit of the doubt.

healingWhisper July 11th, 2020

@glisteningEyes

I'm INFP-T too laugh

@healingWhisper

Nice, welcome to the 4-5% :P

July 11th, 2020

@glisteningEyes

And I like yours :)

TheMetanoia July 11th, 2020

@glisteningEyes hello twinny 😁

@glisteningEyes

We have similar personalities, I am an INFJ instead of an INFP. I think the strenghts/gifts you mentioned are really great to have!

healingWhisper July 11th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Mediator - INFP-T

I learned that I love to get to know new people and listen to them as well as helping them in any way I can.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test?

Seeking harmony and peace so every voice is heard

Open-minded: hearing and accepting all people

Hard-workingi when there is a sense of purpose in that work

@healingWhisper

Feel free to talk to me about this seeing as we have the same personality type it might mean we can understand each other :)

Being an INFP-T is awesome, don't forget that :)

MagicSky28202 July 11th, 2020

@glisteningEyes @healingWhisper

I'm an INFP-T too! *hugs*

@healingWhisper INFP same here :)

MagicSky28202 July 11th, 2020

@GlenM

I took this test a few months ago!

Personality type: INFP-T "The Mediator"

What I have learned: It says that Mediators enjoy contemplation and expression. And that every Mediator's dream is to become an author. How did they know?! That's so accurate! It says that we are "led by the purity of intent". It's so great to know this!

Strengths:

Passionate and energetic - Mediators dedicate their time and pour their heart and soul into what interests them.

Very creative - Mediators can see things from different perspectives, and many are authors. I really hope I become a published author one day!

Seek value and harmony - Mediators want to make sure every voice is heard. Yes, I do feel uncomfortable when there are arguments nearby.

Reviewing my test results made me see what I can accomplish and do to better myself <3 What a great test!

@MagicSky28202 same here 😊

@MagicSky28202

That's awesome to see your perspective on this!

I also want to be an author :)

It's been really intresting to see all of your results and to hear your perspectives on them!

I feel like I've gotten to know you all a bit better and it's nice to see that some of you are the same personality type as me :p

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

My personality type is INFJ-T (Advocate).

I have actually taken this personality test a couple years ago, and I am surprised to find that I got the exact same results. Something that I learned about are the career paths that are best suited for my personality type. I aim to be a psychologist in the future, and it was reassuring to see this career listed as a great option for my personality type! I also learned about some of weaknesses (can burn out easily and extremely private). While I don't want to dwell too much on my weaknesses, I do want to acknowledge them so I can actively work on improving them. I also learned about some of my strengths which I will discuss below.

A. Creative. I used to think being creative just involved being artistically gifted, but you can be creative in many areas of your life. I find that I am most creative when trying to figure out ways to solve a problem or adapt to situations.

B. Insightful. I am able to make connections between people and events/actions. I can also usually tell when someone is being dishonest or not.

C. Inspiring and Convincing. When I talk or write about certain things, my passion and pride for the topic shines through which can inspire others.

This was a really fun exercise!

glisteningEyes July 12th, 2020

@SushiSunshine

Glad to hear that you found some fun in doing this :)

QuietMagic July 13th, 2020

@SushiSunshine I really like what you've said about creativity being something more general that applies to a lot of different areas and has a lot of practical applications. And that sounds amazing that you're able to care about certain things, pour a lot of emotion/energy into them, and have those feelings reach others and create an impact.

LovetoGod May 11th, 2021

@SushiSunshine

I have same personality too πŸ˜ƒ. In the test, it was written that it's rare personality but I guess still there are lots of people with this personality πŸ€©πŸ˜„

Asher July 11th, 2020

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters, please

The personality type I got was the INFJ-A which is the advocate personality.

That I make most of my decisions on feelings than logic which is true but most of the time when supporting people I support well on autopilot as thinking just slows me down unless I get a tough texter.

That am insightful that I can see through dishonesty and disingenuous motives that people have.
That am Altruistic that I won't do an action just to benefit myself.
And that am decisive as I plan to do medicine so I want to impact the world as I can before my life book comes to a end.

@Asherwolfice

I am also an INFJ and we share some of the same strengths!

@Asherwolfice

Knowing that you work well on auto-pilot is good to recognise!

being decisive is a good trait :)

KindnessMatters2020 July 11th, 2020

@GlenM

ENFJ-A

The main thing I learned is that I am more extroverted that I really consider myself to be!

Top 3 strengths: Reliable, charismtic and natural leader

@KindnessMatters2020

Seems like you really did learn something from doing this test :D

LexIris July 11th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please - I am a Mediator (INFP-T)

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself? - I am led by my values and principles. I am pretty skilled at expressing myself in a number of ways, one of them being poetry. I am also pretty skilled at learning languages (no surprise xD). I'm not someone who is out there and wants to do everything and interact with everyone. I just focus my attention on one cause. I pretty much already know all this stuff because I've been into the MBTI for about 2 years now and I've read a lot about my personality type xD

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them. - I am very creative in the sense that I can find multiple ways to see something or that I can come up with ideas that don't cross the mind of others. I seek peace and harmony. I'm not into the idea of lording over others or exerting my power or whatever. I just want everyone to be heard and things to be done fairly. It also upsets me if I'm in a situation or environment where there's someone at the top with a domineering and bossy attitude. And lastly, I am dedicated and hardworking. Looking at my life, this trait only seems to show in areas I actually have interest in. Like I only put in a lot of effort into learning languages, learning guitar and studying some specific subjects at school. If I seem to be lazy in doing something or I grudgingly do it or I don't want to put the effort, I most likely don't care much for the project or task.

~ Lex β˜€οΈ | Take careo and eat oreos πŸ‘‹πŸΏβ€οΈπŸͺ

@LexIris

I'm also an INFP-T :)

Reading your description was lovely!

LexIris July 12th, 2020

@glisteningEyes Thank you 😁

July 12th, 2020

@LexIris

This was well-written!! It's good to be able to understand ourselves better. And now I know you better too 😈 *noms you*

LexIris July 12th, 2020

@anonymouslistener23 *noms you back* I'm glad 😁

AstronomySkies July 12th, 2020

@LexIris

Hey!! I love your personality type, and the way you described your strengths. They suit you very well. heart

LexIris July 12th, 2020

@AstronomySkies Awwwwww thank you Skiesy 😊